Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 05:06 PM

369 posts, read 1,959,936 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to the east coast for a variety of reasons although I would say the main one is quality of life, which, of course, means something different to everyone. The closer we get to making the decision, the harder I am finding it to imagine living anywhere else but here! There are so may positives and negatives, which are well covered in all the threads here. I am curious to know if anyone has relocated for any reason, couldn't make the transition and came back to CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2006, 06:19 PM

642 posts, read 3,071,969 times
Excellent question. I have read a few are wanting to come back. I don't remember any posting that they had come back. Let's hope a few post here.

I have a theory though. No one can predict the future and one thing said in that Mercury News article (I believe) was that this is a first that people were leaving the state, with few coming back in (exception foreigners). But as we all know time and events are cyclical thus the adage, "history repeats itself". We saw in the 90s the mass migration out of LA. OUT, OUT they screamed to other states. Then a few years later, it was all LA, LA must go to LA. Who else got these prices to go sky high, but people rushing in to live here or to buy new homes to stay here?

Even though I presently live in LA, when I used to live in Seattle I observed that Californians for all of their independence are somewhat 'trendy' in their movements. Right now housing is overpriced and middle class people with families are going elsewhere for nicer communities, nicer homes, better quality of life based on what they can't have here, and some IN REACTION. BUT just wait . . . you will eventually hear the grumblings I bet and a REACTION coming the other way.

I can hear them now and I bet once they start it will snowball, as the trend will shift back again, for those missing the weather, the indoor/outdoor living. The beaches (even if you can't really swim in them). The pay, they will find high costs where they are moving as well, but much less pay. Attitudes. Some will even remember how friendly the Californians were and eclectic and open minded and even more conservative, for some, more liberal for others and on and on.

They will say, I will live in a studio, just get me out of this gray or this rain, or this desert, or this dull town, or this backwards thinking, or away from these bugs or this heat or this (FILL IN THE BLANK). Maybe owning is overated others will say. My kids have grown . . . etc.

You name it. Life will settle in. One thing we all know is familiarity breeds contempt. It may take awhile but people will start pining and it will grow and next thing you know California will be HOT, HOT, HOT again.

That is my prediction. We'll see. I just think it will take a bit longer this time as being out priced from a market can be very limiting. So something will have to change or shift somewhat, but that one little shift could send people running back, mistakenly thinking ALL has changed. But all that will have changed is their attitudes. Yes, start the flames, I don't know if I will be right or wrong, but if history is as I said cyclical THEY WILL BE BACK!!! Not all but more then we think.

P.S. Whenever people say, "That area is only for the rich or for 'the most talented and wealthy'" what do our egos do--many of them anyway say, "that is me. I am talented. I want to be considered wealthy!" and fortunately or unfortunately getting to the place and being there becomes not only a challenge, but a trophy in an of itself. This is what they now say about the coast and about California in general. Thus people with big egos will aspire to come here to show everyone how talented or wealthy they are even if no one cares. Those people with the big egos think people care and are envious etc. Just saying this place is for the rich or wealthy sets all those wheels in motion. My psych 101 analysis take it for what it is worth.

Looking forward to the upcoming posts!

Old 12-11-2006, 10:15 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,023,445 times
I relocated back to CA after six years on the east coast. I lived in Wash., DC and Boston. In my case, it wasn't about being able to make the transition, I wanted to come back to CA. Luckily the company I was working for had a west coast office in LA that I could relocate to. Living on the east coast was a great experience overall and I'm glad I did it, but I had my fill and it was time to come back to Cali. The urban vibe and cosmopolitan feel of cities like NY, DC, Boston, Phili are great and I enjoy going back to visit. In fact will do so next month! But the winters are cold and long and shoveling snow gets old fast. Life and people back east are more stressed out too in my opinion and they're not very nice generally. It takes a while for an outsider to warm to a place like Boston for example. If you have no connections there or aren't attending college or grad school, it can be difficult to build relationships with the natives. I ultimately decided that I preferred the So Cal life style more and I missed LA. Most of my closest friends and immediate family are in So Cal. And fortunately, I have a comfortable life here. So coming back was a good decision for me.

Last edited by TheRealAngelion; 12-11-2006 at 11:05 PM..

Old 12-11-2006, 10:16 PM

531 posts, read 2,073,715 times
Boston is just as expensive as LA, why would anyone live there. At least in LA its warm!

Old 12-12-2006, 09:24 AM

52 posts, read 181,319 times
i know of a couple where the girl was originally from L.A. and moved to NYC a few years ago.... she met her current boyfriend, a native new yorker, and they moved to L.A. (actually Malibu) about 6 months ago. they both love it there and dont plan on coming back to NYC!

Old 12-12-2006, 11:04 AM

346 posts, read 2,140,284 times
I've talked to a lot of people who have relocated to other places and they ALL (as in every single one of them and there's been a lot) have said they moved and never looked back. They love where they are way more than California and feel they can finally relax and have a good quality of life. I haven't made the transition yet (9 months and counting!!) but I have a feeling I will be one of those people. Of course, I never liked California to begin with so that's probably a huge reason.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:11 PM

411 posts, read 1,600,927 times
Whenever I start California Dreamin', since I do miss it, my husband wakes me up. He reminds me of what our lives would be like in SoCal on a fixed income. In Oregon we go out for dinner, travel a bit, have a kid in private school, one in college, two cars and are fine and dandy. In SoCal we'd have to give up much of that. I was really happy there and wish it was friendlier towards retirees, but it ain't. We didn't buy our house 30 years ago. We bought it five years ago and were paying $9,000 in property taxes. In Oregon we're paying $2,900. We did give up having a pool, which I miss, but the costs of running one were prohibitive. Our house is smaller but brand new and beautiful.

Loved SoCal, would have moved happily to SLO area to retire, but don't have the big bucks to sustain the lifestyle we like.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:37 PM

3 posts, read 9,818 times
Unhappy Missing Home

Left California in late May 2006 for Texas to get "ahead" on retirement income and be supportive to my husband's ill parents. Well, I am ready to come back like yesterday. Don't even care if I am dirt poor (well, not that poor).
Texas has a lot of nice people but the way it is run is so backwards that it makes you want to scream. I am living in a beautiful golf course community near the lake and a lot of people would love to live in this "house" but the moment you step outside you would think twice.
For anyone considering moving out of California make sure you "live" in your new state for at least a couple of weeks before you commit. Do things like walk outside for at least 30 minutes, go shopping, try different restaurants and find local entertainment. Try gardening and going to a football game and go grocery shopping etc.
For me:
Going outside to water down my front porch = Succumb to sweat.
Walking on my grass= Being eaten alive by mosquito’s.
Going to my son’s football game at night = Sweating @ 10:00 PM and witnessing people chew on big undercooked turkey legs and spitting chewing tobacco in the stands (Yuk)
Grocery shopping= Not finding some simple items your use to such as Hot Links and Red Snapper and certain spices. Texas is big on smoked sausage, catfish and crawfish. Not much of a variety
Sheets= Forget about finding CAL King Sheets at your local store
Entertainment, good restaurants or a little spice of life = A drive to the Southwest side of town.
Humidity = Purchasing a power washer to get rid of the growing moss and mold, forgetting makeup, sitting outside and if you want to walk your dog in the summer make sure it’s before 7:00am or after 7 or 8pm at night.
Fall = Finally getting a little breather and really not that bad but on occasion the Rain and Cold will keep you inside.
Spring----Can’t wait to see if it is better.
Freeways = Beltways, Inside and Outside loops, Turnarounds, HOV lanes that are shared with North and South bound depending on time of day but once your in the HOV lane (Carpool) on the 59 freeway you can’t exit the lane until you reach the parkway.
Cheap house = HIGH, HIGH, HIGH PROPERTY TAXES. Actually, you will pay more on your School tax than your property tax. And let’s not forget the MUD Tax. This is really a water company that you pay every month and then they tax you at the end of the year.
Dept of Public Safety (DMV) I won’t even go into their crazy procedure & requirements
Electricity Company = FRUSTRATION.

I am leaving tomorrow to CALI for a few days just to clear my head and a better perspective of things. Maybe I’m just too picky and not giving Texas a chance. I will be returning to Texas on Monday and if I cry when it’s time to board the plane then my marriage is doomed. I’m hoping for the best.

Old 12-12-2006, 07:00 PM

642 posts, read 3,071,969 times
Oh Califgirl4life reading your post just made me realize how very smart my husband is. I demanded we move to Texas when my friends were moving. He looked skeptical the whole time, even though it would work out much more in his best interest then mine. But darn it. I wanted that new, nice home on the golf course. He went, he saw, he liked, but he kept sayin', "I know you. You'll be yellin' to move in a few years if not a few months."

Boy reading your posts just reminds me, I could have been writing the same thing right along with you. All will work out. I just know it will. Something's gotta give . I once moved to a place that I lasted less then 6 months after we just got married, and he sufferred! Probably why he was so sceptical this time. . But we did work it out, albeit was a bit humbling at times. This stuff does happen and it is okay, your home will sell if that is what you decide. Life is too short. You'll be laughing at this years from now. I guarantee it. He may not, but you will. Good luck to you!!!

Old 12-12-2006, 07:18 PM

369 posts, read 1,959,936 times
Thanks, all, for the responses and insights so far...I really enjoy reading what people's experiences have been. I realize that everyone's reality is different, but in the end, I am confident that we all want to be happy. What it takes to get there is anyone's guess. I spent this morning down on Balboa Island, and it does stop and make one think...beautiful day, amazing environment, great drive down PHC to get there..but then I remembered why I went on a mid-week morning..because I would have been hard pressed to go there any other time due to traffic, crowds and difficulty parking.

I know that there is part of me that will always be a CA girl, but I am also curious as to what else is out there. I have lived my entire life on one block, which at one point I really enjoyed, but now feel somewhat constrained by. We live on a beautiful street lined with historic homes, which we are fortunate enough to own two of. We are one block off the water, although this is a dubious benefit in that I would never actually get in the water. That said, in the middle of the other night, I heard noises, and when I went to the window to see what was up, there were several hispanic gentleman stripping a neighbors car - to the point that they even had it up on blocks! I find these kind of things happening here lately to the point that I almost am not even shocked any more. I would love to live in a little town where I could let the kids ride their bikes down the street without having to watch them. Is there a place out there that can be all that I am looking for - who knows? I can tell from reading the boards for other states that no place is without their problems. But, is CA the best case scenario?

There are a lot of great things to say about "here" other then the weather, although that certainly cannot be over stated. I guess it is just the general laid back atmosphere that I fear I will not find anywhere else. It concerns me because if I sell everything and move off to have a new adventure, but then said adventure becomes a nightmare, how will I ever afford to come back? And in the end, who can ever say how things will go...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles