Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 11:52 PM

53 posts, read 63,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
Calabasas is a nice area with solid schools and newer housing stock. If you go to the airport once a week, then having a long drive just once a week may be worth it. The only tough thing is finding a 3-4 car garage.
I am seeing plenty of 3 car garages in Calabasas, Woodland Hills and Tarzana. A few even in Sherman Oaks. Most of the 4 cars I have seen are in Agoura Hills and Canoga Park/Bell Canyon. Keep in mind a nice 2 car often can work when they have decent height ceilings which can accommodate a lift.

I like the fact that schools are good in Calabasas and Woodland Hills. Will need to research Agoura Hills and Canoga Park/Bell Canyon schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 11:57 PM

53 posts, read 63,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot1986 View Post
Lived in Dallas for 10 years, now South Bay LA (since this year) and lovin' it. Wouldn't live in Dallas again even if given a free home. Not terrible, mind you, but what we need isn't there - weather, beach, alpha city, diversity without the *need* for so-called tolerance. By this I mean I think tolerance is a bad word. It implies something is being tolerated (thereby elevating the 'tolerator', feh) rather than simply not noticed because it is not unusual. The former may be present in Dallas, the latter is in evidence in LA. As a mixed-race family, methinks OP would be far happier LA even without considering other factors.

And this is just me, but "being on a plane" around once a week tells me to live within a short distance of the airport. To me that means less than 5 miles. Plenty of good and comfortable housing in your price range in that radius. Large yards, pools and 4 car garages perhaps not so much though :-)

It's all about what you can compromise on. Perfection doesn't exist. At any price.
Yeah, the whole LA area is diverse. We had no issues at all in Dallas. Frankly the biggest challenge was all the overly religious, judgmental bible thumping folk LOL.

Speaking of South Bay. Rolling Hills and Rancho Palos Verdes had several houses that matched our size and garage criteria. How are those areas in terms of vibe, cleanliness, people and schools?

Old 04-26-2018, 07:34 AM

26,598 posts, read 26,498,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoking View Post
Rolling Hills and Rancho Palos Verdes had several houses that matched our size and garage criteria. How are those areas in terms of vibe, cleanliness, people and schools?
Top schools, conservative people, secluded, expensive.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 460 times
Other options:

Long Beach
Seal Beach
Redondo or Hermosa

(amazing weather -- different 'climate' than the areas you are looking in the Valley and OC)

More LA "proper":

Culver City
Santa Monica (if you can do a townhouse)
Eagle Rock
Pasadena

Old 06-17-2018, 02:49 AM

823 posts, read 1,048,086 times
I like a lot of the places suggested, but not many of them are close to LAX.

Think about also checking out Ladera Heights. The lots there are huge by westside standards and there are some amazing mid-century homes, some with breathtaking views. Quite a few houses have 3 car garages. It's a lovely area, safe, close to so many things, including the beach which means the climate will be more temperate than in the valley.

Here's a current example. You'd want to refresh/remodel aspects, but it's a pretty cool place, has pool, 3 car garage on a third of an acre, in your budget, with money left over.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Los-Angele...6/home/6596573

The area is right nest to the tech corridor from Playa Vista and Culver City up through Venice and Santa Monica, which is useful when it comes to establishing and staffing an office for your company.

It's in a fantastic location in terms of both getting to the airport (a 10-15 min drive) and getting around the city. You can use Slauson to get onto the 90, which feels like one of the quietest freeways in LA, and it quickly puts you into Playa Vista or the Marina, close to Venice. It's minutes from the 405 and the 10, and you can get fairly quickly to mid-Wilshire, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood by going up La Cienega. You can take Slauson the whole way east to the 110 to get to DTLA.

Two things to consider:

- noise from the airport

there are very few places on the westside from Santa Monica through to Manhattan Beach that do not at least occasionally get affected by noise from the airport, especially if the atmospheric conditions are right (cloud cover or wind shift to the east), but most of the time it's just there as part of the background noise of an urban setting. The airport has an active real time map that tracks flights in and out of LA, so you can look and see flights paths over specific areas. Ladera Heights seems to not be directly affected, but you'd still hear it.

- schools
I think it's part of LAUSD with fairly limited local options at any level, but if you establish your office in either Culver City (a mile away) or Santa Monica, you would then get priority for an inter-district permit, which would mean your children could attend school in those districts. It's always subject to capacity, but I haven't heard of any employment based permit applications being turned down in the last 5 years (in Santa Monica, at least). There are also good private options close by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles