Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 06:19 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times

Advertisements

I haven't used my AC since July. And my heater hasn't run since it rained in March. True story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 06:52 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
So much urban sprawl though and neighborhoods and cities that are cookie-cutter and sort of drab and homogeneous. Very little open spaces or natural areas left as well, which is a negative if you are an outdoorsy or nature-oriented person.
Compared to where ?

There is plenty of diversity of architecture in L.A . You have the ranch style homes , latest modern , Victorian , craftsmen brand new high rises in downtown etc

It’s a city but there are still plenty of decent sized parks in the la and surrounding area and places to hike .

Old 11-08-2018, 12:41 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I haven't used my AC since July. And my heater hasn't run since it rained in March. True story
I don't even have an AC on my house

Old 11-08-2018, 10:00 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Same. I basically don't have a commute so I lucked out in that aspect. Maybe that's why I love LA so much. I love going outside, and taking in the beauty.
LA is such a better and vastly more enjoyable city the less time you spend in a car there- it is in fact a fantastic city in that context. I just spent nearly 8 hours today on the road just pushing plans in the City for a project we have in Boyle Heights for the architecture firm I work for-San Diego and back- freaking miserable. But when my husband and I go up there for a fun visit it is by train, subway, busses, walking our asses off and maybe an occasional ride share in a car-having a fantastic time in museums, plays, concerts, neighborhood exploration, bar hopping- then the city shines brightly!

This is of course as a visitor, but at least we “get” the city for what it is.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:49 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Current temperatures:

Los Angeles 78 F
Denver 42 F
Seattle 42 F
Portland 48 F

Dallas 53 F
Austin 56 F

St.Louis 36 F
Chicago 31 F
Minneapolis 21 F
Detroit 37 F
Indianapolis 36 F

Nashville 47 F
Pittsburgh 45 F
Charlotte 49 F
Atlanta 58 F

Washington 50 F
Philadelphia 51 F
New York 53 F
Boston 49 F
Buffalo 36 F

That's the appeal. It seems simple and boring, but if L.A. had the climate of Syracuse, New York hardly anyone would be there. The only other place in the country that has a similar allure in terms of climate is South Florida..except it's humid as hell and most of the problems people have with L.A. are just as bad or worse there.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:54 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Current temperatures:

Los Angeles 78 F
On the cusp of winter? No, thanks. Winter temps like that worry me. If it's that warm in November, what's it going to be like in the summer? Bay Area temps are in the high 60's. That's not bad at all. Just right, really, for this time of year.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:00 PM

8,328 posts, read 6,419,063 times
That's the appeal. It seems simple and boring, but if L.A. had the climate of Syracuse, New York hardly anyone would be there. The only other place in the country that has a similar allure in terms of climate is South Florida..except it's humid as hell and most of the problems people have with L.A. are just as bad or worse there.[/quote]

i'll bet they didn't have idiots voting against prop.6.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:54 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
That's the appeal. It seems simple and boring, but if L.A. had the climate of Syracuse, New York, hardly anyone would be there. The only other place in the country that has a similar allure in terms of climate is South Florida..except it's humid as hell and most of the problems people have with L.A. are just as bad or worse there.
Well said.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:33 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
When people say its simple and boring, I don't find that. To me LA has 4 seasons, just not as extreme as most places. My favorite season in LA is winter. Some rain, things turn green, crystal clear days often. Summer is my least favorite though it's very hot sometimes.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:55 PM

9,434 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofla View Post
Why do people choose to uproot their lives to live in an overpopulated, overpriced city?

"I love the weather." It's boring... you have summer, and summer light.

"It's liberal". What's liberal about paying several thousand dollars in rent for a modest apartment?! Or millions to buy a house that's worth maybe 50k tops?!

"I'm here to make it! This is where dreams come true in the entertainment industry!" Grow up! You aren't 12!

"I want to pay a ridiculous sum of money to have the privilege of traveling 20 miles in an hour and a half." Wouldn't you prefer to park your car in your drive way rather than the 405?!

Why do so many buy into it?
I originally moved to LA from Colorado because I had family there and I needed to get away from being a ski bum Found work that I loved and stayed 20 years. Finally got tired of the traffic, crime, pollution, too many people and moved to a very rural area on the East Coast. I'm about at my 15 year mark here, and getting ready to retire.....but I don't want to stay here. Too liberal, unfriendly, costly. Looking for the next place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles