Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 10:24 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I'm sorry but this city is beautiful. It has its not so pretty parts and so do all other cities but the views and vistas, some of the neighborhoods, the architecture and some of the natural beauty is pretty nice to me.

True, L.A is definitely unique . Nothing like it .

I’ve been inside the Doheny mansion before on the Mount St Mary’s campus , pretty cool inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 10:45 PM

17 posts, read 29,755 times
If you travel east on I40 heading out of Los Angeles, it's pretty much a desert all the way to Oklahoma. The north of this country and everything east of Texas/Oklahoma has a lot of beauty visually. We live on the edge of a desert. Yes our mountains can be beautiful and many of the things people have created in this city are beautiful, but at the end of the day it doesn't compare to the majesty of many other parts of this country. Love it or hate it, the seasons create beauty. Los Angeles' one and a half seasons creates, for the most part, brown. Yes, you can water it, but naturally it's brown... what else is brown...

Old 04-27-2018, 10:50 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofla View Post
If you travel east on I40 heading out of Los Angeles, it's pretty much a desert all the way to Oklahoma. The north of this country and everything east of Texas/Oklahoma has a lot of beauty visually. We live on the edge of a desert. Yes our mountains can be beautiful and many of the things people have created in this city are beautiful, but at the end of the day it doesn't compare to the majesty of many other parts of this country. Love it or hate it, the seasons create beauty. Los Angeles' one and a half seasons creates, for the most part, brown. Yes, you can water it, but naturally it's brown... what else is brown...
But water was brought in to LA.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:26 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
I think the OP was talking about the city of Los Angeles. If they are talking about the entire region then I think LA is tops or near the top in natural beauty. Try driving on 95 in DC to northern NJ on the NJ Turnpike and tell me how beautiful that is.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:36 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Why do people choose to uproot their lives to live in an overpopulated, overpriced city?

"I love the weather." It's boring... you have summer, and summer light.

"It's liberal". What's liberal about paying several thousand dollars in rent for a modest apartment?! Or millions to buy a house that's worth maybe 50k tops?!

"I'm here to make it! This is where dreams come true in the entertainment industry!" Grow up! You aren't 12!

"I want to pay a ridiculous sum of money to have the privilege of traveling 20 miles in an hour and a half." Wouldn't you prefer to park your car in your drive way rather than the 405?!

Why do so many buy into it?
So take your elderly parents cash out and move. What difference does it make what state you take care of them.

This bs whining crap about how bad LA/So Cal/Ca is, is getting old. HEY IF YOU DONT LIKE IT HERE MOVE THE F OUT. I don’t think it’s that hard to comprehend that. Yet they don’t. They come here whining about how life is unfair, hard, stressful etc. Go already. Move to some little town population 600 where you can work at the Piggly Wiggly for $8 a hour and found nirvana I guess.

What I don’t get is people who ***** about SoCal yet do nothing to move. Or the ones that never lived here or were here on a vacation for a week and went back to whatever state and somehow they are ****ing experts on California and Californians. Wtf seriously?

I had a few tenants from out of state. Every one moving here basically got a 30% raise in wages for the same job just by relocating.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:21 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,894,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
So take your elderly parents cash out and move. What difference does it make what state you take care of them.

This bs whining crap about how bad LA/So Cal/Ca is, is getting old. HEY IF YOU DONT LIKE IT HERE MOVE THE F OUT. I don’t think it’s that hard to comprehend that. Yet they don’t. They come here whining about how life is unfair, hard, stressful etc. Go already. Move to some little town population 600 where you can work at the Piggly Wiggly for $8 a hour and found nirvana I guess.

What I don’t get is people who ***** about SoCal yet do nothing to move. Or the ones that never lived here or were here on a vacation for a week and went back to whatever state and somehow they are ****ing experts on California and Californians. Wtf seriously?

I had a few tenants from out of state. Every one moving here basically got a 30% raise in wages for the same job just by relocating.
As long as they have a high salary, and pay tons of taxes I don't mind them staying here. I mean who's really winning in that situation.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:44 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_vader123 View Post
Are property taxes not a deduction on CA income tax?
They will be capped at $10,000 beginning next year.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:59 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
As long as they have a high salary, and pay tons of taxes I don't mind them staying here. I mean who's really winning in that situation.
How exactly are they losing? I had a tenant making 80k in Texas. Moved here and off the bat made 110,000 and within 6 months has another offer for 10k more. Moved a year later and bought a house. So how exactly was he a loser......

The job was exactly what he had in Texas

Old 04-28-2018, 10:21 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,958,062 times
I drove from Denver to LA years ago on the old route 66 which I guess is I40 now. Didn't hit real desert except from Barstow to San Berdadino. Flagstaff, Az. certainly isn't dessert. It's covered in pines.
Quote:

Old 04-29-2018, 12:47 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,874,151 times
Because L.A offers a lot of opportunities for those who follow the steps towards it,as well as a lot of variety of things to see and do for all ages and types which is why it draws people from all over to live in,work in or vacation in.

Yeah you have summer and summer light,but guess what that's one of the attractions of L.A is the weather,because in L.A you can practically be outdoors most of the year whether it's summer or winter...The microclimates of L.A is also something that amazes me.

If your worried about traffic,then try mass transit or find a job closer to your home where you can walk or ride a bike or use a motorized bike.

If you don't want to pay the $$$$ to live in L.A and don't like the traffic then just move somewhere else...I for one wouldn't live someplace that i'm not happy with or if I cannot afford it.

L.A does have it's problems,but it is still a very desirable place which is why it continues to attract people and investors as well.

Quote:
Why do people choose to uproot their lives to live in an overpopulated, overpriced city?

"I love the weather." It's boring... you have summer, and summer light.

"It's liberal". What's liberal about paying several thousand dollars in rent for a modest apartment?! Or millions to buy a house that's worth maybe 50k tops?!

"I'm here to make it! This is where dreams come true in the entertainment industry!" Grow up! You aren't 12!

"I want to pay a ridiculous sum of money to have the privilege of traveling 20 miles in an hour and a half." Wouldn't you prefer to park your car in your drive way rather than the 405?!

Why do so many buy into it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles