Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 09:50 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,238,727 times

Advertisements

I think I can post this?

https://www.apartments.com/3900-beet...t-102/9wr53q4/

See? Looks like it fits a lot of what you are looking for. The bathroom does look slightly older, but it looks clean and put together. That's in a good area, in Venice/Mar Vista, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 12:16 AM

7 posts, read 6,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
It does exist on the Westside. I literally have hardwood, updated stainless steel, and pet friendly. Quiet area, walking distance to lots of stuff. It's just a PITA to hunt for and you have to be on top of it, which it sounds like you are. My building is an older building, but it's already been retrofitted and my place is 100% remodeled. Lots of storage, too. I only have one bedroom, however (but that's all I need.) I have a dining area and office space, though (work from home 95% of the time.)

You may have to give up something like washer/dryer...but that's why there are also so many laundry delivery services and fluff and fold now. Lots of people in LA don't have those.

I will agree though, 800 sq feet for a two bedroom is small! I wouldn't accept less than 950-1000 for a two bedroom, so I get that.

Don't give up, you will find it. Culver is a great area, keep looking there. Try places like Del Rey, Playa Vista, Mar Vista, too.
When you have a severe medical issue that causes you to break out in a full body rash when exposed to detergent or your eyes are swollen shut every morning because of dust mites due to carpet, health becomes the absolute last thing you compromise on. I chose to compromise on location for a healthy living situation, hence the reason for this post.

I certainly didn't start this post to defend my competence, because I assure you, since my fallback is moving in with my retired parents in Arizona, I'm doing absolutely every single thing I can to find something that suits my requirements in a reasonable area, including walking the streets. You're very lucky you have found something for $2K - you can't find a studio these days for that on the west side. I have plenty of friends that have close to what I'm looking for, but they didn't find it in June 2018. If you can find me the following, I will gladly pay you $500. Every agent that has started working with me has had the same confidence as you have, but after a few weeks, they give up or they tell me I need to go up to $3200 - that's not happening. I have hired assistants to look on my behalf while I work, so I have no problem paying an overly-confident ex-New Yorker on a random forum if that helps me avoid moving in with my parents.

- 1000+ sq ft 2br
- Not townhome style/no stairs in the unit
- Not a freestanding single-family home. I have no issue with an older building that has been retrofitted.
- Wood/tile floors (no carpet)
- Washer/dryer
- Decently updated
- Pet friendly
- Parking
- A/C (wall or central...doesn't matter)
- One bedroom not facing a busy, major street like Sepulveda
- Decent closet space, has sunlight
- Under $3K
- Available now

There have been a few things here and there that have been possibilities, but not many. This is what I see out there that fits these criteria and they aren't what I'm looking for:

https://hotpads.com/12415-washington...66-1m2scnc/pad
(this overlooks popeyes in Mar Vista, has a tiny living room and there is no mirror in the bathroom since there's a window above the sink)

https://renter.rently.com/properties...source=hotpads
(I considered applying for this but the bathrooms are gross, the kitchen is original, it's very small, it overlooks a school and it's crazy expensive for what it is)

Let me know what you find.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
I think I can post this?

https://www.apartments.com/3900-beet...t-102/9wr53q4/

See? Looks like it fits a lot of what you are looking for. The bathroom does look slightly older, but it looks clean and put together. That's in a good area, in Venice/Mar Vista, too.
I admit that's a good (and rare) find. But I have no plans to give away my dog.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:06 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,821,998 times
OP: I attached a link that lists many 2 bedroom apartments for rent in Los Feliz for your review. I don't know how big a rush you are in but I believe you could find a place in Los Feliz that meets your needs.
I don't know if you are familiar with LF but if you get a chance, check it out.
There's an area called Franklin Village nearby that may be of interest to you as well.
Good luck with your search; be patient and you will find what you are looking for!
https://www.trulia.com/for_rent/7208_nh/

Old 05-30-2018, 09:14 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,502,245 times
I really don't understand the insane demand to fight over tiny, exorbitantly priced rundown apartments in LA... I don't care how close they are to the beach, you're paying huge sums of money to live amongst the homeless, fight traffic every day, and put up with inferior housing. Like, what are you thinking?

Consider moving somewhere a little further out and buy an entire house, on your own lot, for less than that. Less traffic, less pollution, fewer homeless people. Visit the beaches on the weekends. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I really don't understand the insane demand to fight over tiny, exorbitantly priced rundown apartments in LA... I don't care how close they are to the beach, you're paying huge sums of money to live amongst the homeless, fight traffic every day, and put up with inferior housing. Like, what are you thinking?

Consider moving somewhere a little further out and buy an entire house, on your own lot, for less than that. Less traffic, less pollution, fewer homeless people. Visit the beaches on the weekends. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
I agree, hence the original purpose of my post. For the past 3 months, I've seen dumps for $3K (which is a ton of money!). So my original question was where do I expand do. I don't want a private house and I'm not buying right now. I also don't quite want to live in 120-degree weather in Woodland Hills. I've been looking all the way down to San Diego, up through Santa Barbara area. It honestly doesn't matter that much to me except to avoid the heat and find a comfortable place to live where I won't die due to medical issues.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:17 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,238,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2LA1 View Post
I admit that's a good (and rare) find. But I have no plans to give away my dog.
You may not have to. Generally spots in this area are willing to take dogs, even if the listing says otherwise. It can't hurt to reach out to the listing agent. Also, those types of places come up a few times a month, in this particular area.

Additionally, you did not give that FULL list in your first post. Please don't call me an overly confident ex-New Yorker....I have an autoimmune disease, as well, so I know what it means to deal with health issues, especially related to your living space.

Good luck in your search.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:18 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,502,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2LA1 View Post
I agree, hence the original purpose of my post. For the past 3 months, I've seen dumps for $3K (which is a ton of money!). So my original question was where do I expand do. I don't want a private house and I'm not buying right now. I also don't quite want to live in 120-degree weather in Woodland Hills. I've been looking all the way down to San Diego, up through Santa Barbara area. It honestly doesn't matter that much to me except to avoid the heat and find a comfortable place to live where I won't die due to medical issues.
I think the reality is that you are going to have to sacrifice a few items on your list to find somewhere affordable. You seem to be looking only in high demand, high cost areas (i.e. San Diego, West LA, Santa Barbara...)... IMO, you need to expand your mind a bit and look in less popular areas. Think outside the box a little. Not every area away from the beach is going to be 120 degrees in the summer.

Have you looked at Temecula, Oxnard, Santa Clarita, Upland, Redlands, or Corona yet?

Old 05-30-2018, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,763 times
Just got the green light on an apartment styled condo 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, top floor, end unit in Toluca Lake for $3,000/month. Not on the market yet. You can email me direct at Julian4re@gmail.com Are you interested?

Old 05-30-2018, 07:38 PM

262 posts, read 202,149 times
Sherman Oaks is definitely the better choice in all of those.

May I interest you in Azusa?

The San Gabriel Valley offers a higher quality of life, more affordable and youll easily be able to access LA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles