Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 07:59 AM

413 posts, read 1,845,325 times

Advertisements

I'm not familiar with this particular area and may rent a room there: 112 west 5th st. 90013
It's called the Rosslyn and another City Data pal told me about it. I'm looking for a room until I can get established and get a nice 1 bedroom so as long as it's not a "murder zone" it's ok. Is this area close to public transportation? Shopping etc? I have no kids or pets. Very low maintence= I can rough it if I have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 09:17 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,109,953 times
That's in downtown. It's not the murder capital, but if you want to "rough it", congratulations. If it's an SRO, your roommates will be homeless or almost homeless people. Personally, they couldn't give me a place. Do you need to be downtown? Have you considered Koreatown or Hollywood? If you are forced to use public transportation, they both have good connections. Try craigslist: los angeles classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events. Good Luck.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:45 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,235,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
I'm not familiar with this particular area and may rent a room there: 112 west 5th st. 90013
It's called the Rosslyn and another City Data pal told me about it. I'm looking for a room until I can get established and get a nice 1 bedroom so as long as it's not a "murder zone" it's ok. Is this area close to public transportation? Shopping etc? I have no kids or pets. Very low maintence= I can rough it if I have to.
It will be rough, IMHO. But I do have a friend who lives at the Bartlett @ 7th and Spring. He has a dog and they walk up Main from 7th all the time. That's certainly a new development- used to be like running a handout/smell gauntlet of down-and-outers. The Rosslyn is slowly becoming an artist's haven and I know they are giving 'tours' of the building. Funny you mention it, because a friend of mine has a friend (might be you...?) who is interested in the building. We may be taking a tour of it next week.

There is a great Pho restaurant right around the corner and some great places north on Main, aka 'The Old Bank District." New book store, DVD Bank, and of course, Pete's Cafe.

If you need anything more specific, let me know. I don't give advise unless I've walked the area myself, and I have.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:47 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,235,438 times
Default oh yeah

Quote:
I re-read my post: his dog is very small- sounded like he was a great dane or something...!

FYI, the Rosslyn is the western-most end of the 'nickel', aka Fifth Street, aka Skid Row. So you are gonna run into those denizens at night. They are fewer than in the past, but still there.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:00 PM

Location: Los Angeles, soon to be in Houston or Dallas (undecided on which one)
11 posts, read 40,187 times
Quote:
I've lived in Los Angeles my entire life and worked downtown for at least 15 years. 112 W. 5th Street is a crack haven. Although, there has been some revitalization of downtown, I would strongly suggest you look in another area. Crime is at it's highest in that area. It’s like living in Time Square during the 80s. If rent is cheap in L.A., there's a reason why. I would never suggest living on skid row to anyone. Here's a youtube video of skid row:
YouTube - Skid Row Test Trailer

Old 03-28-2008, 01:34 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,660,340 times
some people might think its gritty, others will say its livable, and some might think its the best place on earth. only real way to know is by going down there yourself. i walk this stretch from 2nd/main down to the old score bar on 4th/main and over to 5th/spring regularly, always been fine. but maybe i dont look like the mark for a stick up. im sure a pretty girl with a big hermes bag might be just the flavor for some goon. thats not me tho. if you can, check it out. but the area sure is changing.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:39 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,604,880 times

Here's a better link to IvyAve's pertinent newsbytes of Skid Row. Are you sure you want to live in this every day? I truly don't think anyone would consider this the best place on earth.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:51 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,635,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post

Here's a better link to IvyAve's pertinent newsbytes of Skid Row. Are you sure you want to live in this every day? I truly don't think anyone would consider this the best place on earth.
god, that's depressing!

jakehorror, i have to ask: why would you leave wherever you are to come to a place like this? isn't there some point at which being able to afford a safe, comfortable place to lay one's head becomes more important than living in LA? i know you think you can "rough it," but there's a difference between roughing it and living without dignity, and that's what you'll find on skid row.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:36 PM

276 posts, read 1,018,615 times
WOW!

You must be brave to even want to live down on 5th street in that zip code.

I was just down there last week taking clothing to the mission.

May I ask if you are a female?

Whatever you do down there please watch your back. As another poster stated, you could not pay me to live down there.

Good luck!

Old 03-28-2008, 10:00 PM

240 posts, read 1,423,226 times
As others have stated, it is really creepy down there. There is a degree of creepiness in almost all the areas where you will find affordable housing, but at least most of the other areas, like Koreatown or Hollywood, are relatively safe during the day and not nearly as depressing.

I hope you will check out other available options on Craig's list before you move into skid row. It can be a very dangerous area. Because there are so many other available options for you to try, it makes no sense to me that you would choose to move there unless you are making a documentary on the homeless or something along those lines. Even if you are doing something along those lines, it would be better to live somewhere else and use public transit to visit the area during the day with friends.

Korea town and Hollywood are both along the metro red/purple line and have easy access to downtown and other areas and both offer room rentals that are probably the same price, but offer a much higher quality of life. Choose wisely and be safe.

Call 1-800-ASK-LAPD, if you don't believe us about the area and ask them about the crime statistics for that location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: