U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-18-2018, 03:24 PM
CLF CLF started this thread
 
22 posts, read 44,474 times
Reputation: 24

Advertisements

My boyfriend just accepted a job where we will possibly have to relocate (job will be in Pasadena). We are currently living in Cleveland, OH and the potential cost of living increase has me slightly terrified (so does the traffic...)

From the little research I have done, it seems like we are probably best off trying to live close to where he is going to be working in Pasadena. BF is an avid volleyball player, so he is excited about the potential move. I am much more apprehensive as we just finished completely renovating our home in Ohio and I would ideally like to enjoy living there for a while.

Cost of rent - What is the range we should expect to pay for a smaller single family home or townhouse (would like to have 3 bedrooms, central A/C, moderate updates at minimum and some type of yard area for the dog). From what I can see on zillow, it seems like we should be able to find something for $3000-$4000 per month. Does this seem accurate? Also, what are the typical move in costs that most landlords charge? Would we be looking first month, last month and security deposit?

Distance from beach volleyball scene - From what I can tell most of the beach volleyball is going to be in the Hermosa/Manhattan beach areas. How far is this from Pasadena in actual drive time? Is the drive something that is doable on weeknights after work? BF currently plays in a bunch of adult leagues in Cleveland and would like to continue that. How are the adult sports around Pasadena if the drive to the beach is too far?

Other costs - Other than housing, are there other things that we should expect to pay significantly more for in LA? I have read that car insurance is a lot more, what about utilities and current gas prices?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2018, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Southern California
4,450 posts, read 5,493,707 times
Reputation: 2210
You're looking at 1 hour 15 minutes into Manhattan/Hermosa +15 minutes based on how deep in Pasadena you are. Sunset now is around 7:30 as winter approached and time changes, it'll get dark at 6. He'd be better off trying to get to Santa Monica for weeknight games. There is a group in Pasadena that plays on grass on weeknights. Indoor adult leagues will be easy to find. Traveling from Pasadena to the beach on weeknights, you'll have to contend with sporting event traffic, Dodgers, Lakers, Clippers, Kings. Staple center concerts, conventions at the Convention Center. Beach games on the weekends can start as early at 7:30 and will only take 35-40 minutes to get to the beach. I've seen a newly remodeled small 3bed 2 bath duplex in Highland Park with central AC and washer and dryer in unit for $4000 a month.

Our gasoline taxes are crazy high, State income taxes are pretty high. Electricity can be high if you are running AC, otherwise $60 a month if you aren't mining for bitcoin. natural gas for heating, hot water and cooking could be $65 a month. Cost to go out to happening places will add up. Car maintenance might go down since we don't have a lot of weather, used cars here are cheap.

Expect to pay 2 times the rent to move it. 1st month plus deposit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2018, 06:48 PM
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
13,692 posts, read 15,775,500 times
Reputation: 13262
In Southern California, the general suggestion is to live close to work. The traffic is frequently congested even before and after rush hour. Pasadena is a great city, with lots to do.
My sister lives close by in Sierra Madre, and plays volleyball 3-4 times a week, after work, with a group of volleyball enthusiasts.

I haven’t lived in Southern California for many years, but I would say that the general cost of living (gasoline, insurance, utilities, groceries and entertainment, etc) will be higher than in Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2018, 12:50 PM
 
2,513 posts, read 4,812,711 times
Reputation: 946
I moved to Pasadena seven years ago and a one bedroom apt was $1200. By 2017 it was $1600 so I just moved out.
This is typical of the better parts of Pasadena. I was near Lake and Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2018, 02:44 PM
 
17,199 posts, read 21,264,774 times
Reputation: 34636
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLF View Post
My boyfriend just accepted a job where we will possibly have to relocate (job will be in Pasadena). We are currently living in Cleveland, OH and the potential cost of living increase has me slightly terrified (so does the traffic...)

From the little research I have done, it seems like we are probably best off trying to live close to where he is going to be working in Pasadena. BF is an avid volleyball player, so he is excited about the potential move. I am much more apprehensive as we just finished completely renovating our home in Ohio and I would ideally like to enjoy living there for a while.

Cost of rent - What is the range we should expect to pay for a smaller single family home or townhouse (would like to have 3 bedrooms, central A/C, moderate updates at minimum and some type of yard area for the dog). From what I can see on zillow, it seems like we should be able to find something for $3000-$4000 per month. Does this seem accurate? Also, what are the typical move in costs that most landlords charge? Would we be looking first month, last month and security deposit?

Distance from beach volleyball scene - From what I can tell most of the beach volleyball is going to be in the Hermosa/Manhattan beach areas. How far is this from Pasadena in actual drive time? Is the drive something that is doable on weeknights after work? BF currently plays in a bunch of adult leagues in Cleveland and would like to continue that. How are the adult sports around Pasadena if the drive to the beach is too far?

Other costs - Other than housing, are there other things that we should expect to pay significantly more for in LA? I have read that car insurance is a lot more, what about utilities and current gas prices?

Thanks!
Have you even visited?

No, it isn't feasible to drive from Pasadena to Manhattan Beach after work during the week, the freeways here are pretty much jammed.

You need to check with you insurance company, I am sure your rates will go up.

You don't mention your work situation. And if you just renovated your house, what is the plan for that, do you want to rent it out?

Doesn't seem like this has been thought through. And if it is just the two of you why do you need a 3 bedroom house to rent?

Sounds like you're better off staying in Ohio for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2018, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
114 posts, read 157,380 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLF View Post
My boyfriend just accepted a job where we will possibly have to relocate (job will be in Pasadena). We are currently living in Cleveland, OH and the potential cost of living increase has me slightly terrified (so does the traffic...)

From the little research I have done, it seems like we are probably best off trying to live close to where he is going to be working in Pasadena. BF is an avid volleyball player, so he is excited about the potential move. I am much more apprehensive as we just finished completely renovating our home in Ohio and I would ideally like to enjoy living there for a while.

Cost of rent - What is the range we should expect to pay for a smaller single family home or townhouse (would like to have 3 bedrooms, central A/C, moderate updates at minimum and some type of yard area for the dog). From what I can see on zillow, it seems like we should be able to find something for $3000-$4000 per month. Does this seem accurate? Also, what are the typical move in costs that most landlords charge? Would we be looking first month, last month and security deposit?

Distance from beach volleyball scene - From what I can tell most of the beach volleyball is going to be in the Hermosa/Manhattan beach areas. How far is this from Pasadena in actual drive time? Is the drive something that is doable on weeknights after work? BF currently plays in a bunch of adult leagues in Cleveland and would like to continue that. How are the adult sports around Pasadena if the drive to the beach is too far?

Other costs - Other than housing, are there other things that we should expect to pay significantly more for in LA? I have read that car insurance is a lot more, what about utilities and current gas prices?

Thanks!
As someone who grew up in Cleveland and lives in LA now, I would say your biggest differences will be housing, taxes (CA doesn't have city income taxes like OH does, but the state income tax is higher), gas (about $1/gallon more), car registration fees (based on the value of the car - could be hundreds of dollars per year, not the flat fee that you're used to), and possibly car insurance depending on where you're coming from in the Cleveland area and where you end up here. Groceries, utilities, and entertainment will be about the same, possibly even cheaper.

As far as going to the beach after work, you probably won't be able to do that from Pasadena. I used to commute from West LA/Santa Monica to Pasadena for work, and my commute home would be about an hour. To Hermosa/Manhattan would be at least another 30-60 mins. There are plenty of sports leagues and other things to do closer to Pasadena though, just not the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2018, 10:23 AM
CLF CLF started this thread
 
22 posts, read 44,474 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Have you even visited?

No, it isn't feasible to drive from Pasadena to Manhattan Beach after work during the week, the freeways here are pretty much jammed.

You need to check with you insurance company, I am sure your rates will go up.

You don't mention your work situation. And if you just renovated your house, what is the plan for that, do you want to rent it out?

Doesn't seem like this has been thought through. And if it is just the two of you why do you need a 3 bedroom house to rent?

Sounds like you're better off staying in Ohio for now.
We have not been out there yet. This would be an amazing career opportunity for him, definitely not something to turn down.

Luckily, our place in Ohio is a duplex and we already have tenants in the other unit. We always planned to live there a few years and then keep it as a rental, I just expected to be there longer than 6 months!

Work wise for me this actually isn't bad timing, because I have been thinking about making a move anyway. Between BF's salary and income from house in Ohio we should be good even if it takes a while for me to find something. We aren't 20 somethings right out of college and I am not looking to go back to cramped apartment living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2018, 10:33 AM
CLF CLF started this thread
 
22 posts, read 44,474 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrecle View Post
As someone who grew up in Cleveland and lives in LA now, I would say your biggest differences will be housing, taxes (CA doesn't have city income taxes like OH does, but the state income tax is higher), gas (about $1/gallon more), car registration fees (based on the value of the car - could be hundreds of dollars per year, not the flat fee that you're used to), and possibly car insurance depending on where you're coming from in the Cleveland area and where you end up here. Groceries, utilities, and entertainment will be about the same, possibly even cheaper.

As far as going to the beach after work, you probably won't be able to do that from Pasadena. I used to commute from West LA/Santa Monica to Pasadena for work, and my commute home would be about an hour. To Hermosa/Manhattan would be at least another 30-60 mins. There are plenty of sports leagues and other things to do closer to Pasadena though, just not the beach.
Good information! I hadn't thought about no city income tax, that will definitely help offset the higher state taxes! I'm guessing gas will even out some as well. I am currently living on east side of Cleveland and working on the West side, so I'm thinking the 50+ miles per day I do now should go down significantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2018, 12:09 PM
 
Location: TOVCCA
8,452 posts, read 11,902,759 times
Reputation: 12370
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLF View Post
Also, what are the typical move in costs that most landlords charge? Would we be looking first month, last month and security deposit?
Yes, all those, plus some landlords charge an extra deposit, and some an extra monthly fee for a dog. And I hope your dog is not on the dangerous breed list, or they may not rent to you at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2018, 12:43 PM
 
17,199 posts, read 21,264,774 times
Reputation: 34636
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLF View Post
We have not been out there yet. This would be an amazing career opportunity for him, definitely not something to turn down.

Luckily, our place in Ohio is a duplex and we already have tenants in the other unit. We always planned to live there a few years and then keep it as a rental, I just expected to be there longer than 6 months!

Work wise for me this actually isn't bad timing, because I have been thinking about making a move anyway. Between BF's salary and income from house in Ohio we should be good even if it takes a while for me to find something. We aren't 20 somethings right out of college and I am not looking to go back to cramped apartment living.
Well if you haven't been here to visit, it's pretty foolish to move.

I have lived in Southern CA now most of my life, but I have run across many people from back east who come to CA to visit and frankly don't like it, and that is certainly their right.

In fact I have lost track of people who move out here, and either can't make it or realize they made a mistake, than they "whine" about CA.

Several posts on CD about this as well, most of the time it is people who didn't visit first and get a feel for Southern CA, and by visit I mean not doing "touristy" stuff, I mean looking at areas to live if there is a possibility of a job, sitting on a freeway in traffic at rush hour, etc.

You seem to be clueless on traffic issues. The 210 freeway which is main freeway that runs through the Pasadena area is mostly bumper to bumper throughout the day. A lot of trucks. I live right on the LA/ Pasadena border and I avoid whenever possible. It's quicker to take side streets, and that's just to get around Pasadena, never mind leaving the area.

So it was funny to see you asking if you could drive down to Manhattan Beach from Pasadena during the week in a hour or so, yes, after 10pm.

Doesn't really sound like you have really thought this out, which is something like someone in their 20s would do, older people would put more thought into it.

Surely you can play volleyball in Ohio for a few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top