U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 08:53 PM

11 posts, read 13,042 times
Default Moving to LA from Chitown

Hey everyone, I'm from Chicago looking to move out to LA this summer. I'm moving with my fiance, our daughter, and our dog. I have a few areas that I am looking at and I had a few questions after my research. I am looking at mainly Westchester area, and Burbank area. I know they are not close at all but oh well. I looked on LAlife.com and checked safety and everything, but I'm worried about traffic.

For most of the first 6-8 months there, I will spend most of my time near the 405 and 42, but I will also spend time near Granada Hills and the 5 and 110 as well. Most of my commutes will be before 7 and after 5.

Can anyone give me an idea of what kind of traffic I will be looking at if I lived in Burbank. I know driving would be much easier from Westchester, but I still would like to know due to cost.

I will be a city worker and my fiance won't be working since our daughter is young and we don't want to use day care.

Thanks for your help in advance, we appreciate it.

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 09:00 PM

26,362 posts, read 53,714,877 times
405 and 42 is near Inglewood/LAX. Westchester is the way (compared to BUR) to go especially since 1) most of your time is going to be spent in Inglewood and 2) you'd probably be going against traffic slightly heading to Granada Hill on occasion.

Burbank is too far from Inglewood, even before 7 or after 5. Traffic is pretty bad 16 hours a day.

You wrote 6-8 months. What happens after that? Maybe you could suck it up for six months if you'd be working somewhere else.

I'm no expert on those communities but people have written some good things on CD about Culver City, El Segundo, Redondo Beach, and I think Westchester.

Work the search tool.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:17 PM

3,129 posts, read 4,983,688 times
You should determine the assigned schools for the homes which you plan to buy.

If your home is within the Los Angeles USD (almost all areas within the City of Los Angeles are within LAUSD) use this tool to determine your zoned schools: School Finder

If your house is within Burbank USD use this chart to determine the schools: http://www.burbank.k12.ca.us/documen...dary_chart.pdf

Once you determine the zoned schools use GreatSchools.net and Schooldigger.com -- Search and compare elementary, middle, and high schools. to check them out.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:36 PM

5,612 posts, read 9,385,877 times
Where are you going to work? Both areas should be fine. I would choose the area closest to where I'm working.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:07 PM

I'm not worried about schools yet. Our daughter is only 2 months old. We only plan on renting for 1.5 - 2 years. I will be working for LAPD. So I know I will spend my first 6 months in the areas I designated already. After that, 6 months at whichever area they choose. Then, I can transfer to a more permanent area.

Thanks for the responses already everyone. I really appreciate it. Its really hard to try to get a place while you're halfway across the country.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:13 AM

5,612 posts, read 9,385,877 times
Okay, if you are working for LAPD you definitely do not want to live in L.A. Burbank is a very nice area that and shouldn't provide too much of a nightmare. Good News is after you pass your probation period at LAPD you will qualify for the cop-next-door program HUD Good Neighbor Next Door Program. It'll let you buy your house at half price.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Okay, if you are working for LAPD you definitely do not want to live in L.A. Burbank is a very nice area that and shouldn't provide too much of a nightmare. Good News is after you pass your probation period at LAPD you will qualify for the cop-next-door program HUD Good Neighbor Next Door Program. It'll let you buy your house at half price.

So what kind of drive would I be looking at everyday from Burbank in by 405/42?

Old 03-31-2008, 03:14 PM

6,171 posts, read 11,487,048 times
pretty terrible!

Old 03-31-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
pretty terrible!

Thats kind of what I figured. Traffic here in Chicago is bad, but even from the 5 days I was in LA over the summer I could tell it was worse. Thats why I'm worried about living that far away. At least for the first yearm wouldn't it make sense to live closer until I know where I will be stationed at?

Old 03-31-2008, 03:21 PM

6,171 posts, read 11,487,048 times
it's better to commute east in the morning and west in the evening if that helps at all. you may want to consider a place like playa del rey, which isn't too far from inglewood and is close to the coast. however, like cespeed mentioned, when you get assigned a beat, you're not going to want to live anywhere near the neighborhood that you are working in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles