Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 09:09 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Another Neanderthal thread created by one of the LA forum's three Trump stooges.....
The warping of the republicans from sophisticated, semi affluent, free market types to....

Lower middle- lower class, anti free market, lacking anything beyond a bachelors degree (if even that) is comical actually. The type of people thay could be cast on the TV show Rosanne. LoL

Old 08-15-2018, 09:46 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Vast majority of rap is preapproved in a manhattan office, with a dozen white guys in suits and one rapper at a round table meeting. "Say this stuff in your song and we give you x% of the revenue generated from sales."
Maybe once upon a time. And that time is when rappers like LL Cool J, Rakim,Public Enemy, WHodini, Kool Moe Dee , Big Daddy Kane, Heavy D and lest I forget early M.C. Hammer were on top of the rap charts. Those raps wore more poetic, about being players, having fun, or social issues.
Sad to point the more violent, grimey, kill em all rap actually started to surface later on when folks like Suge Knight, Puffy, Jay-Z, 50Cent, Murder Inc and Dr. Dre were running labels or companies.

Last edited by jacktravern; 08-15-2018 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 08-15-2018, 09:57 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Maybe once upon a time. And that time is when rappers like LL Cool J, Rakim,Public Enemy, WHodini, Kool Moe Dee , Big Daddy Kane, Heavy D and lest I forget early M.C. Hammer were on top of the rap charts. Those raps wore more poetic, about being players, having fun, or social issues.
Sad to point the more violent, grimey, kill em all rap actually started to surface later on when folks like Suge Knight, Puffy, Jay-Z, 50Cent, Murder Inc and Dr. Dre were running labels or companies.
Not really. Dr Dre and NWA got famous for gangster rap waaaaaaay before he had his own label.

50 cent was probably in jr high at that time. Jay Z was just a street drug dealer not a killer. Puffy was a pretendo thug, softer than most white suburbanites who listenesd to his music. Suge I will give you. He is a sociopath who should in jail forever.

The disconnect is with under ground rap. Which is usually non violent, political, and even philosophical. The rappers like KRS1, Mos Def, etc., who did not have major labels backing them were waaaaay more peaceful. The rappers promoting violence and mayhem all had major corporate labels!!

That was my point. The most violent rappers a generation ago, who set the tone for this gangster crap, were all getting directives and pay checks from rich white guys in manhattan.

The organic, neighborhood, activist rappers, with out major labels, tended to be the ones who advocated non violence. Rappers from the "community" (what ever that means) were probably the least violent of all.

Not that hard to comprehend. And why right wing reactionary types should not be allowed to talk about rap, when they are totally unaware of the history, or how the music industry works.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:02 PM

1,289 posts, read 937,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Yeah ok. Re-read. When did I say "EVERY"? Even if its not "EVERY", its waaaaay too many.
Since when has denial ever helped anybody. If what I'm saying is so false, please explain the popularity of rap music where almost every guy raps about a life of crime. You wanna these people are not celebrated? Watch almost any VLAD TV interview and thats what 90% of them talking about.You can start with Jay-z and 50 Cent and work your way down.

You mean to tell me when a black or latino dude goes back to the hood talking about they got a Masters degree or PHD eveybody takes them out for drinks? NOT!!

Explain why 74%of homicides in Chicago in the last decade,---mostly black on black crime----never gets solved.
You didn't say "every". No question about it. You just didn't say "in the neighborhood I grew up in, here's how it was." Since you didn't qualify your statements it sounded like you meant "every". Not saying your statements are always false. They aren't. They're just far from being always true. They need qualification or third party studies/statistics to back them up.

No, I'm not telling you that when a black or latino dude goes back to the hood talking about they got a Masters degree or PHD everybody takes them out for drinks. I'm only telling you that for sure some people do; as part of celebrating them and their achievements. Many, many, documented accounts of appreciation for these successful people.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:31 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
No. It's south central. Unless of course you were not born in LA, and thus not a real angeleno. If that's the case, call it what you want, no one but transplants will be listening
I was born here in the 70's and raised here. I don't know why you're arguing about this, since the area was rebranded South L.A. in order to cover some of the King riot stigma associated with "South Central L.A."

Old 08-15-2018, 10:41 PM

335 posts, read 356,521 times
I live in south la and listen to 90s rock. Should I move out?

Old 08-15-2018, 11:10 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima30something View Post
Banda and chill

Old 08-16-2018, 01:00 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima30something View Post
Which bands?

Old 08-16-2018, 10:00 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Which bands?
Nirvana, Pumpkins, Weezer, Pearl Jam et. al. I presume. Then my favorite, Radiohead. It’d be nice if a few of them were still around like Sublime. Hell, even local bands like No Doubt, Smash Mouth (ok San Jose) and, don’t laugh because you know they rocked: Sugar Ray.

Where’s the love for the Cranberries and Moby too?

Old 08-22-2018, 03:33 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
way off topic by this point
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles