Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 11:45 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,176,622 times

Advertisements

Sorry I can't figure out how to link articles here on my IPad. The LA Times posted a article saying Chief Moore has finagled a crap load of money for himself. He retired and got 1.27 million from the infamous drop program then 2 weeks later comes back to work and gets a big fat Chief Salary. Chief Beck turned down the drop program. I suddenly like Moore a lot less then I did before I heard this. How do you Angelenos feel about this! Or is it just another day in paradise??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 12:16 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times
Yeah , I saw that . It's legal , but it really shouldn't be . Does any other city have such a thing?

This is the link to the article. I don't often agree with the L.A Times Editorial Board but I do on this one. Something needs to change.

LAPD's new chief played by the rules and got $1.27 million. The rules need to change

Old 08-15-2018, 01:33 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,188 times
I think the whole DROP program is pretty shady.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:02 PM

689 posts, read 2,581,065 times
I don't think the Chief's use of the program is shady, he followed the rules. But the whole program is bad policy and it should be changed as quickly as possible. If you were in his position would you offer to give any or all of the money back?

Old 08-15-2018, 10:25 PM

823 posts, read 1,055,151 times
It’s legal, but I think it shows a complete lack of moral integrity on his part because it’s an inappropriate use of public funds by any measure.

The LA Times has done a good series of articles on the DROP program, well worth reading. Egregious examples of officers going on injury leave for months/years within days of entering the program. The injury leave use rate for those in the DROP program is twice that for regular officers. Other cities have either introduced the program with measures to stop the outrageous double-dipping that LA permits or scrapped it altogether, but the council seems too beholden to campaign contributions from the unions to do anything about it.

Yet another example of the system being rigged.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:14 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,942,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
It’s legal, but I think it shows a complete lack of moral integrity on his part because it’s an inappropriate use of public funds by any measure.

The LA Times has done a good series of articles on the DROP program, well worth reading. Egregious examples of officers going on injury leave for months/years within days of entering the program. The injury leave use rate for those in the DROP program is twice that for regular officers. Other cities have either introduced the program with measures to stop the outrageous double-dipping that LA permits or scrapped it altogether, but the council seems too beholden to campaign contributions from the unions to do anything about it.

Yet another example of the system being rigged.
I know this sounds biased, since I did the full five years in DROP, but Chief Moore earned that money by playing by the rules and is entitled to keep it. It's not a matter of moral integrity. He worked for it, he earned it, and he should collect it.

Granted, the Times has done a series of articles on the DROP, but I wouldn't call it good. There were a number of inaccuracies that were called out to them, yet they have done nothing to correct their misstatements and mistakes.

I wholeheartedly agree that the program needs fixing in certain areas. Please keep in mind that the number of police officers and firefighters in DROP going off on injury leave is higher due to the fact of their longevity on the job. Both are very physically demanding occupations. In addition, if a police officer or firefighter participating in the DROP retires on a medical pension, all monies earned in DROP are forfeited.

I did not use one day of sick time or on-duty injury time during my five years in DROP. In the four years since I've retired, I've had three spinal fusion surgeries and one knee replacement, all duty related.

I have no sympathy for anyone involved in Work Comp fraud. You game the system and get caught, you have to pay the price.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:07 PM

823 posts, read 1,055,151 times
He didn’t earn it, he got a longevity bonus for legally playing the system, and Beck And Garcetti helped him do it. He was asked to return because his position was so specialized, and yet they’d already had his 5years in the DROP program during which to find a replacement.

Think of how $1.27 million could be used in schools and for youth to disrupt the school to prison pipeline. Or to fund extra police programs. Or to address mental health issues in our homeless population. Instead, it went to one person.

I’m not suggesting he should pay it back, I agree that he played by the rules. But it’s a rort and it stinks. Taxpayers have a right to be outraged.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
He didn’t earn it, he got a longevity bonus for legally playing the system, and Beck And Garcetti helped him do it. He was asked to return because his position was so specialized, and yet they’d already had his 5years in the DROP program during which to find a replacement.

Think of how $1.27 million could be used in schools and for youth to disrupt the school to prison pipeline. Or to fund extra police programs. Or to address mental health issues in our homeless population. Instead, it went to one person.

I’m not suggesting he should pay it back, I agree that he played by the rules. But it’s a rort and it stinks. Taxpayers have a right to be outraged.
Leave it to LA to bend over and pay it without hardly a fuss. I don't see anybody trying to cancel the Drop program either. It's like they're brainwashed or just used to going without needed programs and improvements. Or maybe they went to LA schools and don't realize how stupid they are...?

Old 08-16-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
I know this sounds biased, since I did the full five years in DROP, but Chief Moore earned that money by playing by the rules and is entitled to keep it. It's not a matter of moral integrity. He worked for it, he earned it, and he should collect it.

Granted, the Times has done a series of articles on the DROP, but I wouldn't call it good. There were a number of inaccuracies that were called out to them, yet they have done nothing to correct their misstatements and mistakes.

I wholeheartedly agree that the program needs fixing in certain areas. Please keep in mind that the number of police officers and firefighters in DROP going off on injury leave is higher due to the fact of their longevity on the job. Both are very physically demanding occupations. In addition, if a police officer or firefighter participating in the DROP retires on a medical pension, all monies earned in DROP are forfeited.

I did not use one day of sick time or on-duty injury time during my five years in DROP. In the four years since I've retired, I've had three spinal fusion surgeries and one knee replacement, all duty related.

I have no sympathy for anyone involved in Work Comp fraud. You game the system and get caught, you have to pay the price.

Your right it sounds very biased. Did you get over a million too? Since you live in 3 different locations life must be pretty good for you....

Old 08-16-2018, 05:25 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,942,627 times
Quote:

Remember, the tax payers voted on DROP. If they are outraged, it's their own fault. Just like the politicians they vote into office and then complain about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles