U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2018, 10:47 PM

8 posts, read 6,097 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Pasadena with a 3 and 4 year old. So of course schools are on my mind. I can’t afford a fancy private school tuition for two kids and really wanted to do public schools. Anyways, I know the schools here are terrible or that’s what I am constantly told. But when I checked out the ratings, I noticed a few decently rated schools. For example, Sierra Madre Elementary and Hamilton Elementary are pretty highly rated. Are these schools considered the hidden gems? I really want to stay in Pasadena as it’s where both my spouse and I work. I love this city and would rent/move in another boundary area to get into a better school. Any other insight or suggestions? I know South Pasadena is good and I have that as a backup. Which Pasadena schools are actually good??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 07:56 AM

16,875 posts, read 15,887,035 times
Some of the elementary schools in PUSD are improving. You can look at sites like this, below, to get an idea, although some of these ranking sites are not always completely accurate. Can you get your child into a magnet school?

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/CA/d...40/search.aspx

Old 09-02-2018, 11:33 AM

625 posts, read 415,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake27 View Post
I currently live in Pasadena with a 3 and 4 year old. So of course schools are on my mind. I can’t afford a fancy private school tuition for two kids and really wanted to do public schools. Anyways, I know the schools here are terrible or that’s what I am constantly told. But when I checked out the ratings, I noticed a few decently rated schools. For example, Sierra Madre Elementary and Hamilton Elementary are pretty highly rated. Are these schools considered the hidden gems? I really want to stay in Pasadena as it’s where both my spouse and I work. I love this city and would rent/move in another boundary area to get into a better school. Any other insight or suggestions? I know South Pasadena is good and I have that as a backup. Which Pasadena schools are actually good??
All three of my older kids were able to go to Hamilton Elementary and overall it is a hidden gem for PUSD. It is not the best school in the district but overall it's like the 3rd best after Sierra Madre and Wilson. But it is a very diverse school and the teachers are great, parent participation is high. We were very happy with them overall and my kids were sad that we had to move away in January to NC. We have had experience with them from PreK to 5th grade.

So I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:59 AM

4,112 posts, read 10,315,352 times
My son went briefly to Don Benito.

The problem is, your kids do get older and end up in middle school and high school. How do you feel about the middle and high schools in the area?

Old 09-04-2018, 12:53 PM
DKM

3,412 posts, read 1,232,851 times
I can tell you that schooldigger is the most accurate website for elementary schools. Do you live in the boundaries for those 2 schools? If you don't, then you have no guarantee that your kid can attend one of those schools. There are better schools in almost every direction from Pasadena.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:11 PM

136 posts, read 59,337 times
I sent four kids through Hamilton in the 90s. It was a good school back then. Many of the kids parents had attended when there were of that age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or