U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 09:14 PM

821 posts, read 490,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fords05 View Post
Thank you! We're keeping Calabasas & West Lake on our list as well as South Pasadena. We've added El Segundo because my husband loves South Bay.

Can anyone pleased tell me more about El Segundo?
Although I haven't lived in El Segundo, I worked there for about a year in the recent past.

To my understanding, El Segundo has a very highly regarded public school system. I suspect this is the result of its homogeneous population (i.e., primarily non-Hispanic white) as well as a very large industrial presence.

Despite the large industrial presence, the commercialization along Sepulveda and the proximity to LAX, El Segundo is a fairly sleepy, laid-back town. According to one former coworker, El Segundo hasn't changed much in the past 30 years.

During my time in El Segundo, I didn't observe many young families with children. In my perspective, El Segundo appears to have a large population of older adults, including both retirees and empty-nesters who work for companies in legacy industries such as Northrup Grumman and Raytheon, for example. Of course, the next-largest population contingent would be young, childless professionals.

One thing I don't particularly like about El Segundo is the poor landscaping or lack thereof that can be observed at many residential properties. As a result, most residential properties are very nondescript and, IMO, rather ugly-looking in much of El Segundo, Manhattan, Hermosa and Redondo. This is in sharp contrast to leafier communities such as Sherman Oaks, South Pasadena and Rancho Palos Verdes, for example. I suspect this has something to do riparian rights, citywide water rationing and/or a liberal water conservation efforts.

Also, El Segundo has a lot of multi-family dwellings interspersed in residential neighborhoods. In my opinion, that isn't the best environment in which to rear children, although you may feel differently.

Visit the Google Street View links below for a better understanding of what I'm talking about:

El Segundo:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9264...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9236...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9201...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9173...7i16384!8i8192

Sherman Oaks: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1479...7i16384!8i8192

South Pasadena: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1095...7i16384!8i8192

Rancho Palos Verdes: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7743...7i16384!8i8192
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 01:03 AM

670 posts, read 911,538 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for your insight, I really appreciate it. We have booked a "look and see" trip for next week. Currently we live rt outside of NYC, its a pressure cooker in the corporate world. My husband although he's a golfer, surfer and loves the beach ( you would think he would be on board 100%) is concerned he's going from one frying pan to another. Having dinner together means we eat at 8pm here. What about LA? Is there more of a quality of life living and working there?

You mentioned different parts of Hollywood dictates best commute. The street is N Gower Street.
Los Angeles, CA 90028. Right now he walks a mile to a Metro North train, 30 minutes he's in Grand Central and then takes one subway to work. We're both fans of pubic transport and would love to live by a line.

What line should we look for? the Gold?

Here's the list of towns we have to explore: South Pasadena ( should we look in Pasadena as well?) La Canada, Glendale, Burbank, Sherman Oaks, La Crescenta, and Westlake.

We have decided to rent first and our budget is $3800 - $4300. Great schools with good class sizes and soccer programs are important as well.

Thank you in advance for all your advice.
Well, it can be a pressure cooker corporate here, as well, BUT, I've found that the people I know in the high end corporate world say that while NY is supreme in rudeness, even the pressure cooker here is a little nicer, and with much better weather and more pleasant distractions with A LOT of access to nature that people use to calm themselves. It can make the pressure cooker worth living. The density is not like Manhattan, and, quite frankly, that is a big part of the RUDENESS in NY (although it does seem to be throughout the Tri-state area). Here, people just IGNORE you. The act as if you don't exist. BUT, once you make proper contact with strangers and they know you are not asking for MONEY or gonna give a coo-coo rant, people here area remarkably FRIENDLY. Even your enemies here just a little nicer and touch less uptight than in NY. However, we have PLENTY of jerks and IDIOTS to make you feel at home.

LET ME MAKE THIS PERFECTLY CLEAR: The worst thing about the lifestyle here and the trade-off in family time and feeling decent when one get home is THE DRIVE COMMUTE! While a drive commute from the South Pasadena/Pasadena area is possible using ALL STREETS, don't even think about the freeways during regular rush-hours for that commute--although there are some tricks to the freeway commute between Hollywood and South/Pasadena, I would just avoid it. My point is that using public transit--when it is a reasonable option--takes a whole lot of the stress out of one's life here, and Pasadena area to Hollywood is an easy train ride and worth skipping the drive.

OK, although the MTA does have a bus (both local and Metro Rapid service) between Pasadena and the street you cited for your hubby in Hollywood as a one seat (one line) ride, I would NOT take the bus. The bus just moves slower is a pretty long ride to Hollywood and is less safe than the rails, although Blue and Green are not much better. It is an EASY, comfortable commute from South Pasadena/Pasadena to Hollywood--all by rail to the Hollywood/Vine stations and a 3 block walk to the location you've given. Headways on Gold are every 6-7 minutes rush-hour and then Red Line subway to Hollywood is every 10 minutes rush hour. There is never really a long wait during rush hours.

FWIW, I believe South Pasadena has the superior schools. The South Pasadena/Pasadena area has a lot of trees and greenery compared to some sections of the LA area because the Northeast area is less about concrete and has lots of hills and the San Gabriel Mountains towering above just a few miles away. It is a GENTEEL area compared with the Westside rudeness and LACK of parking and WORSE traffic in your daily life just to go to the supermarket or small store and deal with all that, while the northeast area including Pasadena can busy with traffic, it is manageable and even civilized compared to other LA areas.

A rundown on the other areas you've mentioned:

La Canada/Flintridge: It is somewhat remote, and the rich people there like it that way, and it can be expensive rent due to its natural setting and proximity to the mountains, but no close access to robust public transportation. It is a pretty high income area and feels like a small town with some residents being a bit snobby as there are a number of estates/mansions there, but it also puts you closer to wild fires. An automobile is MANDATORY to get you anywhere to or from this La Canada.

Glendale: Again no robust public transit except for Metrolink and Amtrak and MTA buses. The cost of a public transit commute would be higher using Metrolink commuter rail to subway with fewer Metrolink trains than Gold line trains. However, it is closer to Hollywood and taking ONLY streets for a car commute can be done, and would be easier than public transit. However, Glendale can be very congested at the prime shopping eating places, and I find it filled with more "troublesome people" on the streets there--NOT as safe as South Pasadena. I bring this up ONLY because it matters to some people, but Glendale has a dominant population of Armenians. For some people around here that is a huge deal breaker and I know people who just AVOID Glendale because of that. It is not my personal view, but I think people who have certain ideas need to know this so they don't choose to live in Glendale and then start behaving badly towards the people in Glendale.

Burbank: it aint no South Pasadena nor Pasadena. It is a more crowded concrete feel with lots of studio lots around and getting to downtown Hollywood would be a PAIN of a drive and more expensive commute by Metrolink commuter rail. I see no advantage to this place. Parking at MTA North Hollywood Red line is IMPOSSIBLE and COSTS EXTRA to park there. No Way.

Sherman Oaks: OUT OF THE QUESTION! Too far away from Hollywood and it would be a ROYAL PAIN drive and if he wanted to use public transit, he'd have to drive to either Van Nuys Metrolink commuter rail (more expensive) and just forget about Red Line North Hollywood stations because parking is IMPOSSIBLE and you have to PAY on top of the commute cost.

La Cresenta: adjacent to La Canada, so pretty much the SAME as La Canada as in same rich folk etc.

Westlake: ARE YOU KIDDING!? An even FURTHER place out to the moon when one needs to get to Hollywood and back each day. An absolute NIGHTMARE commute with no real public transit to speak of. PLEASE, remember the rule: It's all about the commute (drive; train) when picking a place to live around here. Also the South Pasadena/Pasadena is among the civilized places compared to the SF Valley and their traffic and race for a parking spot at some stores.

Look, IMHO, forget about all the other places, look in South Pasadena and Pasadena. After your are here for a while and explore, etc. you can seriously consider living further if you want to get a home. In fact, you can consider cities even further from Hollywood and even in neighboring counties in a very large swath of the LA area if it is not too far from a Metrolink commuter rail line because it has easy transfer to Red Line to Hollywood, but that is AFTER you have been here a while. The SP/P area has a lot of Gold Line stops and is a very desirable area with GOOD SCHOOLS in South Pasadena and your own large scale epicurean adventure park, real parks for play and sports and even hiking in the foothills/mountains along with very robust public transit and EASY drives within the area. SP/P is also close enough to the culture scene in Los Angeles, as well such as MOCA, LA Phil, LA Opera all a short distance and EASY drive after rush hour or on weekends, with LACMA not much farther. Also, your proximity to Downtown Los Angeles makes DTLA another haunt for epicurean food and drink, Grand Central Market, Arts District, Little Tokyo, etc.

Best of luck.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:18 AM

670 posts, read 911,538 times
This woman wants her husband to hate having moved here and die of a miserable freeway commute considering all these way too far from Hollywood communities for their FIRST move out here. Consider buying anywhere you want in the entire 5 county area (preferably not too far from a Metrolink commuter rail station) AFTER you have established yourself and really want to stay here. These other far out places are also MORE expensive. First priority for just moving here is the LESS STRESSFUL COMMUTE FOR DADDY. SoPas schools are fine, and he can most likely walk to a Gold Line station or a few minutes drive to a Gold line station. So Pas has a paid garage for Gold Line parking, but there are other close by stations that may have free parking. Then after you get to know this place, and know what you want and WHERE you want it, you can buy somewhere far off the other end of the galaxy if you want, but don't mess this up by renting too far away. YOU WILL REGRET IT!

Old 10-04-2018, 05:35 AM

13,912 posts, read 13,575,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerryJr View Post
Look, IMHO, forget about all the other places, look in South Pasadena and Pasadena. After your are here for a while and explore, etc. you can seriously consider living further if you want to get a home. In fact, you can consider cities even further from Hollywood and even in neighboring counties in a very large swath of the LA area if it is not too far from a Metrolink commuter rail line because it has easy transfer to Red Line to Hollywood, but that is AFTER you have been here a while. The SP/P area has a lot of Gold Line stops and is a very desirable area with GOOD SCHOOLS in South Pasadena and
In terms of buying, she is priced out of South Pasadena, and certainly out of La Canada (the latter of which, along with San Marino, has public schools that rank at the top of the state). I don't know much about La Crescenta. And Pasadena has that school problem. Maybe a rental would work.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:18 AM

4,035 posts, read 8,309,662 times
Eeesh the advice you are getting.

All I can say is to do a map of whatever commute you might have.

Currently it’s 6am and the drive to Gower/Sunset is under 20 minutes from Burbank, 26 minutes from South Pasadena, and nearly an hour from El Segundo.

From South Pasadena to Gower Sunset via the Gold and Red Line I’d guess is around an hour total trip including walking and waiting time. Also you would be walking at least 5-6 blocks through some sketch in Hollywood. It’s not a problem during the day and the area is vastly improving, but there’s a lot of drugged out homeless .

Every other commute you are looking at is worse and it also gets worse the later in the day you go. The thing that helps with Burbank is that it’s close. With South Pasadena, there multiple ways to go and at least on the commute there, the part that is on the 101 north is a reverse commute.

And I don’t know why anyone’s mentioning the commuter train. It stops no where near Hollywood. You’d have to take it to Union Station and then the Red Line to Hollywood so tack on 25 min plus walking time to whatever time the train takes.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:30 AM

8,276 posts, read 10,533,708 times
Quote:
Thank you! We're keeping Calabasas & West Lake

Please note: It's called "Westlake Village" not "Westlake." Westlake is a bad neighborhood in Los Angeles. That's where some of the confusing replies here are coming from!

Another thing. Agoura Hills, Westlake Village and Thousand Oaks are separated from Calabasas by the foothills of a mountain range, which you would need to cross over twice on any commute to Hollywood. Not only does this add time (traffic always slows over the pass, even in non-rush hours; really badly in rush hours) (and by the way, rush hours are about 3.5 hours here, from 6:30am-10am and 3:30pm to 7pm), but it adds wear and tear on your car. Calabasas is a better choice, if you can do it.

Last edited by nightlysparrow; 10-06-2018 at 11:41 AM..

Old 10-10-2018, 10:30 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,530,545 times
I think the part of LA that reminds me most of Westchester, NY is the Calabasas/Agoura Hills/Thousand Oaks area. That may be too far afield for you, though...?

Old 10-10-2018, 11:14 PM

1 posts, read 259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I think the part of LA that reminds me most of Westchester, NY is the Calabasas/Agoura Hills/Thousand Oaks area. That may be too far afield for you, though...?
not even..

Old 10-11-2018, 05:13 PM

1,725 posts, read 5,939,870 times
Late to the party on this one. Let us know if you still want insight on El Segundo. You can PM me if you prefer.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:37 PM

22 posts, read 107,409 times
We're back from our 2 day trip. We attempted to see as many neighborhoods as we could. We realized just how expenisive it is there and wonder how familes could afford to live there and save for retirement. We thought the job offer was a very good package until you realize rents in desirable areas are starting at 5k. We loved South Pasadena, La Canada felt to remote, Westlake Village felt to generic. We could afford Westlake Village but just didn't love it. Redondo Beach was nice but the houses are to small and on top of each other.

We're now open to catholic schools in hopes we could find an town like South Pasadena but maybe the public schools are not that great so now the real estate is more affordable. We would like his commute to Hollywood to be 45 to 60 minutes.

We also loved Brentwood but we know its very expensive.

Two areas we wanted to check out but didn't have time are Sherman Oaks and Cheviot Hills.

We're kinda thinking of turning down the offer because we're too scared of the cost of living.

Thanks for all your comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or