U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 02:52 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,587,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
When taking a left turn with lots of oncoming traffic, I do that whole positioning yourself in the middle of the intersection thing. Waiting for the light to turn yellow so I can squeeze by.

But I always wondered if that was completely legal? Trying not to lose my license so I'm actually interested in the rules of the road now...
yes, it is. once you are in the intersection, you are obligated to complete your turn, so you don't block cross-traffic. contrary to what some people believe, the amber light does not mean "slow down." it is there to alert you that the light will soon turn red. whether you stop or proceed is a matter of safety, and stopping is not always the safer option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 03:18 PM

413 posts, read 1,307,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
Any more advice you forumers have??
what have you learned since your move here?
what would you advise to newcomers?

*this really proves that people in the Los Angeles forum don't really know much about the city

*please respond if you actually live in Los Angeles City.
I have learned that life in the big city is great, but it takes alot of adjusting and requires sacrifice. You must be willing to give up the comfort and convenience of midwest life or else your gonna get here and be mad...really mad.

My advice is to listen to others closely. Others who live in the city your moving to and listen to everyones opinions. You may not want to hear what they have to say, but trust me, just listen more.
A couple months ago I was on top of the world thinking I was this and that, in that little time I have grown more than I ever have. When your in the midwest it's very easy to get a big head because you want to be heard and you want to see your dreams come true. You dont want to be like "them." So you move 2200 miles away to give it a shot. Then you realize how small you are, how your one of millions of others with that same goal. It's rough, but have NO REGRETS. I will try and keep trying and thats what YOU gotta do, keep going and remember it's a HUGE change when you move far far far far far far far from home. That's my advice.
PS- Just the palm trees alone make it all worth my while

Old 04-07-2008, 12:24 PM

706 posts, read 2,340,573 times
Don't be afraid to explore the city at night. It's a completely different enviornment in my opinion. Plus, the traffic is clear so it won't be a hassle unless you are driving towards downtown. By doing this, you'll get to see another side of Los Angeles and many more sides, which aren't noticeable during the day.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:37 PM

14 posts, read 22,880 times
My wife and I moved to LA in October 2007, I moved to help open regional office for my organization. We rent in Pasadena which is a really nice city. Couple of caveat emptors to anyone considering moving to LA. We knew it was expensive but the extent of the high costs were much worse than expected. We owned a house in Washington DC, what we could get comparable here is really depressing, even with prices dropping. There are many many really bad neighborhoods in LA, and a good number of really great expensive ones, but not a lot of affordable good neighborhoods. Most of the suburbs are awful. Everything costs more, gas is the most expensive in the country, our car insurance tripled, sales tax is high, food is expensive. And everything is crowded, the roads, the restaurants, the stores and pollution is often visible. That being said, it is a really fun city with loads to do and see and weather and beach are really nice. My bottom line: If you're young and carefree, come here and rent and have a blast, enjoy the beach and the lifestyle and then move on. If you're rich, move here and enjoy all the city has to offer. If you're middle class (less than 200k per year) run like hell. Any pay raise will be wiped out by cost of living. Just my thoughts and remember I've only been here 6 months, so my opinion of the place could get better....or worse. We're planning 2008-2009 departure if we can find work elsewhere in this economy.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:37 PM

26,362 posts, read 56,196,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LARicky View Post
My wife and I moved to LA in October 2007, I moved to help open regional office for my organization. We rent in Pasadena which is a really nice city. Couple of caveat emptors to anyone considering moving to LA. We knew it was expensive but the extent of the high costs were much worse than expected. We owned a house in Washington DC, what we could get comparable here is really depressing, even with prices dropping. There are many many really bad neighborhoods in LA, and a good number of really great expensive ones, but not a lot of affordable good neighborhoods. Most of the suburbs are awful. Everything costs more, gas is the most expensive in the country, our car insurance tripled, sales tax is high, food is expensive. And everything is crowded, the roads, the restaurants, the stores and pollution is often visible...
In the age of the internet, City-Data, realtors, etc, how could any of this not been anticipated? You had access to real estate, crime, traffic, and gas price data.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:51 PM

5,405 posts, read 8,010,424 times
200K, 150K is middle class? wow! i thought more like 70K in LA was. i know many people that do it with that. even on way less.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:55 PM

706 posts, read 2,340,573 times
^^A single man or woman, making 70k in Los Angeles is not bad at all. Once you have a family or dependants...you will have to double or even triple that amount.

-Another piece of advice.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:09 PM

5,167 posts, read 10,345,819 times
I make $60K a year, and although I'm doing okay, I'm certainly not well off. Actually, I'm only okay if I stay in my rent-controlled two-bedroom apartment. If I move, I'll have to compromise on living space or being in a semi decent area.

I've lived here for eleven years, in this same apartment. This is what rent control does to a person.

I wish that people who drive slow on the freeways would either get over in the right two lanes, or exit the freeway altogether. I can't tell you how many times the freeway bottlenecks simply because stupid drivers can't seem to figure out that they shouldn't go 50 mph in the fast lane!

Old 04-10-2008, 10:42 PM

4,189 posts, read 2,322,735 times
Do you mean rent controlled as in you can't make over a certain amount? We have some apts like that here. Please explain. Your 60k would go very far here in Memphis and you spoke of speed on the freeway. Whats the typical freeway speed limit? Here its normally 65 no higher than 70 which is rare. Went to Miami last yr and dang near got ran off the road...my driving adjusted then got back here driving like a bat out of hell. Guess i could adjust in LA as well.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:15 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,253,722 times
Rent control in LA means that the landlord cannot raise your rent over a certain amount each year. He/she must wait until a tenant moves from the apartment to be able to readjust the rent to current market levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles