Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 03:31 PM

126 posts, read 117,304 times

Advertisements

fusion poutine . . .
Badmaash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 06:16 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
A Canadian friend of mine is all about poutine whenever they go back to visit relatives and friends in Canada. No plans to go back to Canada myself any time soon, so wondering if anyone knows a place in L.A. where they serve poutine? Thanks in advance.
I believe Smoke's Poutinerie in Hollywood closed down back in April. I thought it was decent but not worth a special trip.

There was also a poutinerie in Pasadena called Spudds which was pretty solid. Unfortunately, it too appears to have gone belly up in the past two weeks.

A promising new option that I haven't personally tried is Poutine Brothers. It's a food truck that sets up shop in various SoCal locations, depending on the day.

Check their website to see where they'll be located in the upcoming weeks:

https://www.poutinebrothers.com/
https://www.yelp.com/biz/poutine-brothers-los-angeles-2

Old 10-15-2018, 02:45 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
I sure hope it tastes better than it looks. I've never had it and I did an image search and it's not the most appetizing looking dish I've ever seen. I'd give it a go to see. I mean it's cheese and French fries with some kind of brown gravy, it can't be bad, LOL

Old 10-15-2018, 09:55 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I sure hope it tastes better than it looks. I've never had it and I did an image search and it's not the most appetizing looking dish I've ever seen. I'd give it a go to see. I mean it's cheese and French fries with some kind of brown gravy, it can't be bad, LOL
I'm going to see if I can get my own cheese curds around here. I'm checking on my next trip to Sprouts. I can make my own fries and gravy, but not the curds. There's just no way I'll ever go back to Canada voluntarily, so I gotta do this here in L.A.

Sea mentioned your beef bourguignon - how do you think it turned out?

Old 10-16-2018, 10:14 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I'm going to see if I can get my own cheese curds around here. I'm checking on my next trip to Sprouts. I can make my own fries and gravy, but not the curds. There's just no way I'll ever go back to Canada voluntarily, so I gotta do this here in L.A.

Sea mentioned your beef bourguignon - how do you think it turned out?
It came out pretty good.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:27 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
We just got back from our first time eating poutine. It was at a place called "Sauced Up" in Cerritos. We thought it was good, but we have nothing to compare it to. It got 4 out of 5 stars on Yelp.

When they first served it, the cheese curds were cold and I was thinking, Oh, no, this is not going to work. But then they started mel-l-l-ting, and I thought, Now we're talking. The gravy was good, and the fries stayed pretty crisp for a while even with the gravy. The serving is huge. It could easily feed two people. $8.00 per serving.

It's a small place in a shopping center, and very clean. Employees were friendly and helpful. Even with my limited experience, I would definitely recommend them to someone wanting to try it. I joked that it would be good hangover food, or hangover-prevention food, and then saw that they actually had a version of it on the menu called "The Hangover."

Old 03-16-2019, 06:05 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Can a Canadian here please explain this abomination to me please? Explain ketchup chips.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:40 PM

101 posts, read 304,765 times
I second Redondo Beach Cafe. They have hockey nights, many Canadians hang out there and celebrate Canada Day. The menu features poutine and Canadian beers.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:16 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Can a Canadian here please explain this abomination to me please? Explain ketchup chips.
It started in rural Quebec, apparently in the 1950's when a customer at a restaurant asked for cheese curds with his fries. Gravy and fries ( chips ) were popular all over Canada.

Poutine became popular, but mainly in Quebec. The rest of Canada only heard about it in the last 20 years or so.

It's a hangover food mostly, but if done right, can taste really good. The gravy has to be extremely good, otherwise the whole thing is not worth it.
They also have to be real cheese curds, that squeak.

Don't expect to have good poutine at fast food chains, and don't expect it to be good everywhere in Canada.

The best I had, was in Montreal.

All sort of variations exist now, but they really aren't Poutine. They are " throw whatever on fries and call it Poutine ".

It's not a regular thing for most Canadians.

Ketchup chips are quite delicious. A bit vinegary, salty, and ketchupy.

Another Canadian favourite is All Dressed Chips. It sounds weird, but it works It's ketchup, salt, vinegar, barbecue, sour cream, onion and other seasonings.

You wil also hear a version of pizza called All Dressed. It's has Pepperoni, mushroom, salami, green peppers, double mozzarella & edam cheese.

Last edited by Natnasci; 03-19-2019 at 05:48 PM..

Old 03-27-2019, 09:35 PM

101 posts, read 304,765 times
When I moved from Toronto to NYC in 1999, I really missed ketchup chips. True story. Then I walked to my nearby grocery store and there they were. However, I have never seen them here in Los Angeles. I did find All Dressed chips, another Canadian variety. Not as good as ketchup chips.

You know, poutine is not that hard to make. Maybe the cheese curds won't be perfect. But you can find similar at Sprouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles