Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 10:05 AM

131 posts, read 123,441 times

Advertisements

I won't tip at restaurants that do not accept cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 10:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage_50 View Post
Tipping perpetuates an unfair pay system. It's arbitrary, and studies have found the practice to be discriminatory.

What restaurants in LA have a no tipping policy? I'd like to give them my business. Found a few through searching but hoping to discover more.
What studies? You can find a study to support any claim if you want to. Most studies are done with an agenda in mind. If you ask any good wait person most would say they like the tipping practice. You do realize most wait people do not claim all their tips on their taxes don't you? I can assure you if the tipping practice becomes obsolete a new service charge will be added to your bill and you will be paying more than you want to.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:26 AM

45 posts, read 32,445 times
Some of the Chinese restaurants in my area mandatory add 18%-20% tips into the bill.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:32 AM

98 posts, read 88,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What studies? You can find a study to support any claim if you want to. Most studies are done with an agenda in mind. If you ask any good wait person most would say they like the tipping practice. You do realize most wait people do not claim all their tips on their taxes don't you? I can assure you if the tipping practice becomes obsolete a new service charge will be added to your bill and you will be paying more than you want to.
Of course prices will increase if tipping stops. You thought I didn't know that?

Google "do black servers make less in tips" or something similar. You'll find at least a dozen articles referencing unrelated studies. This site won't allow me to post links. You believe all of these studies are done "with an agenda in mind"? Some people (like yourself) immediately discard the idea that people of certain backgrounds don't have as fair of a shot as others. It triggers them. It's a common reaction from people who aren't of color.

Good restaurants are in favor of a no tipping policy because it allows them to pay their people a living wage and sometimes benefits as well. They want to keep good employees around.

Last edited by Cage_50; 10-10-2018 at 11:24 AM..

Old 10-10-2018, 10:46 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Consumers are getting squeezed by price increase necessary to accommodate the $12-$15 minimum wage ... inflation beyond labor costs... and a commonly accepted 20-percent tipping standard. On top of that, we're in a heavy tourist area (translated: another 20-percent up-charge). A representative impact is $5 to $10 to $15 ... and up hamburgers!

Guess we'll have to eat something besides hamburgers! -- Otherwise, I suspect that attitudes toward 'customary tipping' will began to shift ... and some restaurants will go to a 'no tipping policy.'

Overall, minimum wage workers (and everyone else) will be in the same relative place they were before the minimum wage increase.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:25 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
Quote:
I'd imagine most sit-down restaurants would continue with a minuscule wage plus tips model. Tipping at fast food places isn't the norm because the employees making more than $3 an hour.
CA requires restaurants to pay full min wage before tips to servers which is currently $10.50/11 per hr depending on size of the business.

https://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

Old 10-10-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
CA requires restaurants to pay full min wage before tips to servers which is currently $10.50/11 per hr depending on size of the business.

https://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm
Wasn't aware of that. Guess I can stop tipping now. Thanks!

Old 10-10-2018, 11:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Of course prices will increase if tipping stops. You thought I didn't know that?

Google "do black servers make less in tips" or something similar. You'll find at least a dozen articles referencing unrelated studies. This site won't allow me to post links. You believe all of these studies are done "with an agenda in mind"? Some people (like yourself) immediately discard the idea that people of certain backgrounds don't have as fair of a shot as others. It triggers them. It's a common reaction from people who aren't of color.

Good restaurants are in favor of a no tipping policy because it allows them to pay their people a living wage and sometimes benefits as well. They want to keep good employees around.
OMG; I wasn't referring to studies about minorities. I was referring to studies period. It almost sounds like yo have a racists agenda to push Let me explain something, I am not here to discuss racism or social issues, I am here speaking about a topic that I am very familiar with: wait people and how they feel about tips, versus a raise in salary. I also never mentioned anything in my response to you about min wage or living wage, I mentioned a required service charge which could very much be added to your bill if tipping is removed. No one makes anyone tip, it is a personal choice. as for living wage, is very different than a min wage, whether the wage is $8.00 an hour or $15 an hour. Even $15 is not really a living wage if you take time to do the calculation especially in CA. BTW how do you know if I am black, white or orange for that matter?
Now as long as you ere so sure you can not post links to studies, which surprises me tell me one good restaurant that wants to do away with tipping. That is something you can post.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
OMG; I wasn't referring to studies about minorities. I was referring to studies period. It almost sounds like yo have a racists agenda to push Let me explain something, I am not here to discuss racism or social issues, I am here speaking about a topic that I am very familiar with: wait people and how they feel about tips, versus a raise in salary. I also never mentioned anything in my response to you about min wage or living wage, I mentioned a required service charge which could very much be added to your bill if tipping is removed. No one makes anyone tip, it is a personal choice. as for living wage, is very different than a min wage, whether the wage is $8.00 an hour or $15 an hour. Even $15 is not really a living wage if you take time to do the calculation especially in CA. BTW how do you know if I am black, white or orange for that matter?
Now as long as you ere so sure you can not post links to studies, which surprises me tell me one good restaurant that wants to do away with tipping. That is something you can post.
Mods delete links, lil bud.

Restaurants that care about their employees favor a no tipping policy. Ones that don't expect patrons to pay their employees a living wage because they refuse to.

You immediately shot down the idea that servers of color receive less in tips than non people of color without doing any research. That's pretty telling, lil guy.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:11 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,822,563 times
Quote:
Mods delete links, lil bud.

Restaurants that care about their employees favor a no tipping policy. Ones that don't expect patrons to pay their employees a living wage because they refuse to.

You immediately shot down the idea that servers of color receive less in tips than non people of color without doing any research. That's pretty telling, lil guy.
I forget the particular restaurant, but a popular and expensive one in Northern CA switched to non tipping a couple of years ago. I believe they were paying servers like $30/hr under that model and it lasted a few months because servers revolted because they were getting 2-3x as much when they were getting tipped. Personally I think tipping is stupid and everyone should be paid a living wage (unfortunately min wage in CA is not a living wage in major cities but that's another discussion). But I have also traveled a lot internationally and been to many countries where tipping doesn't exist and I don't think most Americans are ready for the level of service that comes along with that. We are spoiled. In other countries you can sit down and wait 20 minutes for someone to take your order. They bring food when it's ready and you never see them again. Good luck getting a refill on your drink. Even if you are paying for another drink servers don't care because selling you more food/drinks doesn't effect their pay.

At least in CA we have the fast casual model that is very popular where you order at the counter and they bring food to your table and there is no tipping. That seems to be the best option right now. The next level is kiosk ordering which is popular in foreign countries and I've seen popping up at some fast food establishments here. When I was in Japan years ago I could order at a kiosk and have my food come out on a conveyor belt. Zero human interaction. X Files did a fun episode this season that centered around that to show the evils of AI and atomization taking over our lives but like it or not it's coming. Elon Musk basically said that Skynet goes on line in about 10 years and there is no putting the genie back in the bottle at this point. It was nice knowing you mankind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles