Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 12:35 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeat View Post
The subway is great if you want to sit next to homeless, illegals, slobs, the mentally ill, crackheads, and/or thugs, sometimes all rolled up into one stupendous person!
I Ihink this is America's collective viewpoint on the different modes of public transportation.

Buses- Has the worst negative stigma of any kind of public transportation. Primarily ridden by low income riders.

Light rail- Really depends on what city you're in and where the line goes but riders are usually middle or lower income.

Subways
- Generally viewed as okay because they are usually ridden by all types of people from various income levels. Though people tend to be wary of using subways at night largely due to the lack of transit security and feeling safe.

Commuter rail
- Primarily ridden by the middle class and is the preferred public transportation for people who live in the suburbs. Also ridden by people who would never ride a bus or even light rail.

Intercity rail- Primarily ridden by the upper and middle class. Has the least negative stigma of any mode of public transportation. Best suited for long distance traveling.

I think personally space is a very key component when it comes to the type of people that public transportation draws. People who routinely drive cars are more likely to ride commuter rail and intercity rail because that's the closest experience to having personal space when they are driving a car. Also seats on commuter/intercity rail are facing forward and are not facing each other like on buses and other forms of transportation. People who usually drive cars don't want to be facing people that can look at them in the opposite direction. They feel that riding commuter/intercity rail decreases the likelihood of some "creepy person staring at you" which will also decrease the likelihood of getting into an altercation or confrontation with someone. It hard to get into a fight with someone when they are not looking at you.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 12-01-2018 at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 03:38 AM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,508 times
First, the is no "center" of LA. You need to look at a map and decide what you want to see and then pick where you stay. Regardless of how you get around, traffic is a nightmare and it can take a long time to get from one area of the city to the other.

I tried the red line once, from Burank to downtown (I'm a woman, FYI). I never saw so many crazy people in one place. There was the gangbanger discussing prison with his girlfriend, the crazy guy arguing with himself out loud, the two other crazy people who I thought were going to come to blows, etc. That was it for me. Things go so bad in recent years that now the LAPD actually provides security on the subway - that should tell you a lot.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:30 AM

925 posts, read 1,065,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
First, the is no "center" of LA. You need to look at a map and decide what you want to see and then pick where you stay. Regardless of how you get around, traffic is a nightmare and it can take a long time to get from one area of the city to the other.

I tried the red line once, from Burank to downtown (I'm a woman, FYI). I never saw so many crazy people in one place. There was the gangbanger discussing prison with his girlfriend, the crazy guy arguing with himself out loud, the two other crazy people who I thought were going to come to blows, etc. That was it for me. Things go so bad in recent years that now the LAPD actually provides security on the subway - that should tell you a lot.
Have you ever traveled before? All large cities provide security in their Metro Systems. In fact security has been greatly increased in recent years in LA making the system safer. I feel bad for people that lead such sheltered lives.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:02 AM

872 posts, read 595,645 times
Ummm yeah- sheltering our lives from the mentally ill excons would be a welcome change
There is no security- in fact the train kept moving and the murderer was “arrested “ at the next station- there could have been lots more killed
https://www.google.com/amp/s/ktla.co...in-duarte/amp/

Old 12-02-2018, 11:05 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,627,657 times
Quote:

Super misleading. There has been a contract in place for law enforcement to provide security on the Red Line since its inception. The contract expires and law enforcement has to bid on it. Most recently LAPD was awarded the contract. There is no “things got so bad in recent years”.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lat...outputType=amp

Old 12-02-2018, 11:08 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,627,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCROX View Post
Ummm yeah- sheltering our lives from the mentally ill excons would be a welcome change
There is no security- in fact the train kept moving and the murderer was “arrested “ at the next station- there could have been lots more killed
https://www.google.com/amp/s/ktla.co...in-duarte/amp/
The same thing could happen on the street. There’s no evidence that crime occurs more frequently on the rail lines.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:15 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,393,640 times
Quote:

The redline doesn't even go to Burbank. And has been stated, the LAPD and/or LA County Sherriff personnel have ALWAYS provided security. Not any different than any other big city mass transit.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeat View Post
The subway is great if you want to sit next to homeless, illegals, slobs, the mentally ill, crackheads, and/or thugs, sometimes all rolled up into one stupendous person!
OP: ^ Don't pay attention to internet trolls.

My coworker rides the blue line from Long Beach to Downtown LA every day. I have ridden the red, blue and expo line many times over the years. Never had a problem.

Do you see some strange (and even unsavory) people on the train? Sure you will but also plenty of "normal" people on the train as well. Just use normal big city precautions and you will be fine.

Last edited by Astral_Weeks; 12-02-2018 at 11:27 AM..

Old 12-02-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
First, the is no "center" of LA. You need to look at a map and decide what you want to see and then pick where you stay. Regardless of how you get around, traffic is a nightmare and it can take a long time to get from one area of the city to the other. .
If you look at a map you'll see that all the major rail lines converge on downtown LA. I am guessing that is what the OP was referencing.

DTLA is a good place to stay if the OP wants all the major rail lines close by to help him/her get around.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:36 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
So that thing with giant 1100 foot skyscrapers with a huge intermodal train station that Amtrak, Metrolink, Metro bus, the red and purple line subway and the gold, expo, and blue line all converge in that just happens to be in geographic center of the Los Angeles municipality isn't the center of the city? Didn't know that, thanks for informing us.

This is a good example of the problem with most L.A. transit related threads-basic empirical facts are discarded so negative stereotypes can be propagated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles