Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 07:16 PM

9,523 posts, read 30,369,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Labeling those who disagree with you as Racist. That's just a tired ploy to drop an albatross around the neck of those you disagree with. Cheap shots...and most of us don't buy it. If you cared to research a bit, you'd find that Canadians and Europeans aren't finding entry into this country a picnic either. And when the hordes of illegals stop being Mexican, then we won't focus on them will we.
So when someone says "Illegals are ruining LA", what does that mean exactly?

Which ones are illegal and which ones are just poor, legal, Mexicans? Do you mean to tell me you can tell the difference?

Got a news flash for you - there are plenty of LEGAL Mexicans who you wouldn't want living in your neighborhood either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2006, 07:51 PM

465 posts, read 2,421,434 times
Post I think my point was missed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Many people have spoken of immigration, while taking it to a racial context...stereotyping hispanics as polluters, violent criminals, stealing U.S. money, and get the heck out of my country your destroying OUR LAND..Ummm I don't think that's being too sensitive...I think that's sticking up for what's right. "like everyone else should be," THERES CRIMINALS AND VIOLATORS OF THE LAW IN EVERY RACE...
I don't think you quite get what I'm saying. I'm saying the frustration of the people on this forum from L.A. is with illegal immigrants. Do you understand? People in this country ILLEGALLY. This is not about race. This is not about saying all gangbangers and thieves and murderers are Hispanic. I think the point is being missed. Coming to this country is not the problem. Coming to this country illegally is the problem. How can someone come to a country improperly, expect to get away with it, and not only not contribute to society, but instead destroy it? And that goes for any race or any color. But statistically speaking a large number of the legal and illegal immigrants coming to southern California are mexican; that's just a fact. Northern Cali and Washington State have a large Asian influx, I mean open your eyes. I'm all about people coming to America for a better life. However, the fact is, our country is rather small compared to others, and everybody in the whole world cannot fit into the United States. If things continue as they are, we'll soon be foreigners in our own country. Therefore, there must be some regulation on immigration, and it's not being done. Period.

Old 12-16-2006, 08:06 PM

989 posts, read 5,910,845 times
http://www.alhambra-insider.info/avatarsign/pleasedeport.jpg (broken link)
polite group of folks.

ICE illegal aliens anonymous TIP LINE phone- 1-866-347-2423 or 1-866-DHS-2-ICE

http://www.saveourstate.org/forums/uploads/av-1754.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-17-2006, 12:19 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,453,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
I don't think you quite get what I'm saying. I'm saying the frustration of the people on this forum from L.A. is with illegal immigrants. Do you understand? People in this country ILLEGALLY. This is not about race. This is not about saying all gangbangers and thieves and murderers are Hispanic. I think the point is being missed. Coming to this country is not the problem. Coming to this country illegally is the problem. How can someone come to a country improperly, expect to get away with it, and not only not contribute to society, but instead destroy it? And that goes for any race or any color. But statistically speaking a large number of the legal and illegal immigrants coming to southern California are mexican; that's just a fact. Northern Cali and Washington State have a large Asian influx, I mean open your eyes. I'm all about people coming to America for a better life. However, the fact is, our country is rather small compared to others, and everybody in the whole world cannot fit into the United States. If things continue as they are, we'll soon be foreigners in our own country. Therefore, there must be some regulation on immigration, and it's not being done. Period.
This right here folks is a great example of attacking the issue and not the people. This is exactly the right way to handle the illegal immigration issue. It was becoming target practice towards the Latino race in here, until you finally placed a model quote for everyone. Immigration is a serious problem in the United States. Fact. But this is for everyone, if you attack the people and not the problem, America's black eye will be back. The black eye of the white folk feeling inferior towards everyone who doesn't have his of her skin color and takes bias approach towards it.

Old 12-17-2006, 03:05 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,459,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Hispanic is now a gringo term...means anybody we think is of Spanish extraction. Brazilian is close enough.

In the classical sense Hispanic was any of the occupants of the Iberian peninsula...which would include the Portugese.
This is basically what i was trying to convey to UB50.

Person A says to person B "Are you "white?" Person B says "No, i'm Anglo-Saxon!" You never hear hispanics mention-"Oh, that person looks of Norweigan descent or that person looks to be of German descent" They just say "Hey, he/she is white".

I don't honestly feel the need to go through semantics about origins in minute detail. Being anal about races and their origins in itself is a waste of time unless you're doing geneology!

Old 12-17-2006, 04:12 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,756,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
If things continue as they are, we'll soon be foreigners in our own country. Therefore, there must be some regulation on immigration, and it's not being done. Period.
Ummmm... everybody is a foreigner to this country, except the indigenous people. We are just having an influx, where currently the majority of immigrants happen to be Mexican (and from other Latin American countries)... just how at one time, immigrants from Ireland were coming over in droves. And similar things were said about them at the time - they're going to ruin this country, they aren't real Americans, they're lazy, they don't respect our culture, and so forth. Anyway, the fact of the matter is, they're here and we aren't about to ship everyone back... so as I said on another post, people just need to learn to deal with it. I do think the government needs to come up with better ways to control the borders, but immigration (legal or not) has always been a part of this country - and it will probably always be this way.

Here are some quotes from articles on Irish immigration... the words sound eerily familiar, huh?

"Many Americans were pushed out of jobs by large groups of needy Irish immigrants. Americans resented the Irish, and were not glad they came. This caused many barriers. The Irish were put under strict medical exams, and were sent back if they had poor health, which many had because of the bad health care in Ireland. A good majority of Catholic Irish were sent back, too. America was a predominately Protestant nation. Catholics were feared and detested, and Americans thought that their culture, religions, and backgrounds could not be retained if thousands of Irish immigrants moved in. To get around these barriers many lied about religion, and came back to America a repeated number of times after they had received some medical attention to past the exams." (http://www2.ops.org/NORTH/curriculum/socstudies/EthnicB2/past/Irish.htm (broken link))

" One honest immigrant wrote home at the height of the potato famine exodus, "My master is a great tyrant, he treats me as badly as if I was a common Irishman." The writer further added, "Our position in America is one of shame and poverty." No group was considered lower than an Irishman in America during the 1850s.
Free land did not lure them. They rejected the land for the land had rejected them; yet even so they always spoke reverently of the old sod in Ireland. All major cities had their "Irish Town" or "Shanty Town" where the Irish clung together. Our immigrant ancestors were not wanted in America. Ads for employment often were followed by "NO IRISH NEED APPLY." They were forced to live in cellars and shanties, partly because of poverty but also because they were considered bad for the neighborhood... These living conditions bred sickness and early death. It was estimated that 80% of all infants born to Irish immigrants in New York City died. Their brogue and dress provoked ridicule; their poverty and illiteracy provoked scorn.
The Chicago Post wrote, "The Irish fill our prisons, our poor houses...Scratch a convict or a pauper, and the chances are that you tickle the skin of an Irish Catholic. Putting them on a boat and sending them home would end crime in this country." " (http://www.kinsella.org/history/histira.htm)

I could go on and on, but I think my point is clear...

Old 12-17-2006, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
which ones are just poor, legal, Mexicans? Do you mean to tell me you can tell the difference?

... there are plenty of LEGAL Mexicans who you wouldn't want living in your neighborhood either.
Is this some kind of oxymoron?!

A "mexican" living legally in the U.S. would be american.

Old 12-17-2006, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
..just how at one time, immigrants from Ireland were coming over in droves. And similar things were said about them at the time - they're going to ruin this country, they aren't real Americans, they're lazy, they don't respect our culture, and so forth. Anyway, the fact of the matter is, they're here and we aren't about to ship everyone back... so as I said on another post, people just need to learn to deal with it. I do think the government needs to come up with better ways to control the borders, but immigration (legal or not) has always been a part of this country - and it will probably always be this way.
I think what makes it such a "hot topic" nowadays due to illegal immigration is the fact that many "americans" pay taxes out the *ss only to see an influx of people not registered and not paying taxes.

Old 12-17-2006, 04:31 AM

Oh, and to add to the original topic... I'm a Californian who doesn't complain much, but I'd hardly say it's "perfect" either. I've lived in other states (Oregon, Maryland & Pennsylvania), and smaller towns within Calif., so I'm not living in a cave or anything. But obviously if I was that unhappy, I'd be out of here already, so it has something keeping me around... for me it's my family and close friends, the job opportunities, social life, culture, and the weather - though I do long for snow occasionally!

My main issues are with the cost of living, and the traffic/congestion and road ragers... I'm an impatient driver, and my blood pressure raises every time I go on the freeway. I consider the housing costs to be reflective of what a desireable place this is, and figure "you get what you pay for". Some towns are just ridiculous, but I won't have a problem living comfortably in most parts... I do sympathize with others on this subject, though, which is why I agree about the costs pushing out a large number of people. That's sad, and we should have a bigger selection of affordable areas - which aren't complete slums. But aside from all of that, I still think California is in my top 2-3 states in the U.S..

Old 12-17-2006, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
I think what makes it such a "hot topic" nowadays due to illegal immigration is the fact that many "americans" pay taxes out the *ss only to see an influx of people not registered and not paying taxes.
We also have a lot of legal, U.S. born, non-Latino citizens who take advantage of the system... but that's besides the point. I fully agree about the need to control illegal immigration, though I also feel that people need to be more sympathetic. Not all immigrants are illegal, and not all illegals are bad people... I've known plenty of "undocumented citizens" through my work and neighborhood, and most are here with only good intentions (and plans to become legal). It isn't as easy as you might think to come here legally, so for some they just don't feel there's any other option... I've been to the bad parts of Mexico, and trust me, it ain't no paradise. Children begging on the streets, teenage prostitutes, shanties, and so on. And as for not paying taxes, well some of them make up for that by working low-wage (under minimum) labor jobs... I don't know about you, but I'd rather pay taxes than work one of those jobs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles