Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2008, 01:11 PM

13 posts, read 91,267 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am thinking of taking a job in Santa Monica but am looking to live in the Redondo/Manhattan/El Segundo area. I am wondering what the commute time would be if I needed to be to work around 10:00am. Are there surface streets, PCH, or anything other than the 405?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 01:19 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,076 times
Yes, you can take Sepulveda/Lincoln all the way up or you can take Highland and drive up by the beach from the South Bay, cut up Jefferson to Lincoln, then back down to Pacific or Main all the way to SM. I used to go from Venice to Manhattan Beach for on-site work all the time, and there are a number of hybrid routes. There's traffic, but nothing like the 405.

Redondo would be a bit rough, but El Segundo and MB are doable. Try to live on the north end, and you'll be a happier commuter.

Good luck!

Old 04-06-2008, 02:04 PM

What about living in the Valley (Sherman Oaks, Encino) and commuting to Santa Monica? Is that drive pretty bad as well? Any cities you can recommend that are nice for families and fairly close to SM?

Old 04-06-2008, 07:58 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
getting into santa monice from anywhere outside of santa monica for work in the morning is going to be a chore, even worse on your way out in the evening. The Valley would be VERY BAD! The South Bay cities will also be pretty bad. Perhsing, Vistal Del Mar, Sepulveda and Lincoln can all be parking lots during rush hour. If your worried about rents, you may consider Mar Vista, which has much cheaper rent than Santa Monica and is only a few miles away.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:41 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyLynne View Post
What about living in the Valley (Sherman Oaks, Encino) and commuting to Santa Monica? Is that drive pretty bad as well? Any cities you can recommend that are nice for families and fairly close to SM?
Hi Chrissy,

Living in a nice apartment in the valley is not going to be that much less expensive than on the west side of town. You will sacrifice more $ for the difference in gas, time, and quality of life. Check craigslist and look for rentals in the nicer parts of the valley, then check West La, Palms, Culver city etc. You will find that they are close in monthly rent costs.

If your going to live in the valley, may as well live in Culver city or Palms and save the headache of the commute, have better access to leisure activities, and cooler weather.

Much of the valley is completely undesirable, so the better parts around ventura blvd go for a premium.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:56 PM

Wow!Thanks everyone for all the help. I guess I didn't realize how much more expensive it is to live in LA than the bay area. I was hoping to rent a house not an apartment but not sure if that is going to be possible. Thanks again!

Old 04-07-2008, 07:51 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
If you take the 405 from Santa Monica to El Segundo/Redondo Beach area you'll be going against traffic so you shouldn't have any problems commuting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles