Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 12:47 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s63 View Post
Malibu looks looks much better from above on aerial shots than it does when you're actually there. It looks so dry, and the all those shabby brown buildings which house the pathetic shopping in Malibu look hideous. I much prefer Santa Barbara.

Malibu is overrated and too far from LA so it feels like it's in the boonies. It also doesn't feel as "fabulous" and happening as other comparable affluent beach towns like The Hamptons.
You really need to get off the beatin' path (PCH) to enjoy Malibu. Ever driven up Coral Canyon or looked down from the top of Trancas? How about swiging off the highway at La Piedra one day and just enjoy the beautiful bluffs. It doesn't take much getting off the main drag to find some very nice areas. I mean, come on, you sure can't call Point Dume "shabby"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 01:02 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
You really need to get off the beatin' path (PCH) to enjoy Malibu. Ever driven up Coral Canyon or looked down from the top of Trancas? How about swiging off the highway at La Piedra one day and just enjoy the beautiful bluffs. It doesn't take much getting off the main drag to find some very nice areas. I mean, come on, you sure can't call Point Dume "shabby"!
I completly aggree with you here. Lots of cool places to drive around both towards the beach and into the hills. Also who the heck goes to Malibu to shop? I have my favorits spots there to eat. Malibu isn't Oxnard. I don't expect to see a Wal-Mart in Malibu.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:13 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,708 times
Thumbs up "Oxnard, the Un-Malibu" NY Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I completly aggree with you here. Lots of cool places to drive around both towards the beach and into the hills. Also who the heck goes to Malibu to shop? I have my favorits spots there to eat. Malibu isn't Oxnard. I don't expect to see a Wal-Mart in Malibu.
Thanks (for the agreement)! I like a lot of things about Malibu. The horrid drive up and down PCH past the "million dollar shacks row" -- or however that area around Will Rogers State Beach is referred to -- isn't my favorite either. But Malibu has some truly special areas.

Funny you should mention Oxnard in the context of Malibu. The New York Times published an article a while back about that very subject -- Oxnard vs. Malibu:

Oxnard, the Un-Malibu - New York Times

Who knew that among others, KCRW's Anne Litt lives in Oxnard?!

Old 01-10-2009, 02:17 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,271,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You know the place. Thank you for the address. I always seem to miss it when I drive down the coast. Thanks. A little out of my range for now, but I am saving up. LOL
[SIZE=3]No sign now, I guess it's somewhere on the estate.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]A lot of money but remember this is 16 acres of PCH prime real estate not a multimillion dollar shack on the beach. It will make a super fine home for the right people.[/SIZE]

Old 01-10-2009, 08:48 AM

147 posts, read 383,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
You're so bitter. When are you leaving?

LOL...

Not bitter at all, I just call em' the way see em'. I call California, particularily the Southern California area, the 'Bend Me Over State', where everyone let's the powers to be call the shots for them.

For example, the Western States Petroleum Association.

Last edited by Radical Raul; 01-10-2009 at 08:58 AM..

Old 01-11-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Thanks (for the agreement)! I like a lot of things about Malibu. The horrid drive up and down PCH past the "million dollar shacks row" -- or however that area around Will Rogers State Beach is referred to -- isn't my favorite either. But Malibu has some truly special areas.

Funny you should mention Oxnard in the context of Malibu. The New York Times published an article a while back about that very subject -- Oxnard vs. Malibu:

Oxnard, the Un-Malibu - New York Times

Who knew that among others, KCRW's Anne Litt lives in Oxnard?!
I grew up in the Oxnard Port Hueneme area. It was interesting to read the article. It talked about Mrs Olson's Coffey Hut which is a local place at Hollywood Beach. I went to school with her son. We got it good here in Oxnard. By the way they used to film Melrose Place, a take off of Beverly Hills 90210 here in Oxnard.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala666 View Post
[SIZE=3]No sign now, I guess it's somewhere on the estate.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]A lot of money but remember this is 16 acres of PCH prime real estate not a multimillion dollar shack on the beach. It will make a super fine home for the right people.[/SIZE]
I completly agree that this is the place for me. Someday I would love to pull it off and buy the place.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:41 PM

136 posts, read 463,458 times
Malibu is the Big Sur of Southern California. It is the last horizon. It will remain the only oceanfront community not overdeveloped (unless Pendleton is ever sold). In terms of lack of development and open space, Laguna Beach is the next best thing which is crowded and full of traffic and tourists due to a teenage MTV drama about some fake gals fighting over guys.

Let's hope the new season on MTV doesn't introduce "Malibu; The Real L.A. County."

Old 01-12-2009, 03:00 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,271,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmoney View Post
Malibu is the Big Sur of Southern California. It is the last horizon. It will remain the only oceanfront community not overdeveloped (unless Pendleton is ever sold). In terms of lack of development and open space, Laguna Beach is the next best thing which is crowded and full of traffic and tourists due to a teenage MTV drama about some fake gals fighting over guys.

Let's hope the new season on MTV doesn't introduce "Malibu; The Real L.A. County."
No way half the guys from MTV live here!!

Old 01-12-2009, 10:32 AM

15 posts, read 40,212 times
Yeah i think Malibu is a very nice town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles