Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 02:28 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times

Advertisements

HI (I searched the forums prior)

Landing LAX Saturday at NOON. I have an 8PM flight back to Australia. I have a hire car.
Will that be enough time to grab lunch close to airport and head to The Getty Museum and back?
I was told by 2 non Angelenos not enough time with traffic.

Were they correct? I reckon by the time I grab the car and grab a quick bite I'll be on the freeway by 130pm at the latest.

TIAA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 03:32 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,746,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
HI (I searched the forums prior)

Landing LAX Saturday at NOON. I have an 8PM flight back to Australia. I have a hire car.
Will that be enough time to grab lunch close to airport and head to The Getty Museum and back?
I was told by 2 non Angelenos not enough time with traffic.

Were they correct? I reckon by the time I grab the car and grab a quick bite I'll be on the freeway by 130pm at the latest.

TIAA!
Let's break it down:

If you arrive at LAX at noon, do you have to move any luggage? Let's say you leave LAX at 1pm.

I'd allow an hour to get to the Getty (probably won't take that long). 2pm.

Eat lunch at the Getty (restaurant or cafe) and visit. 2 hours max? 4pm.

You leave in rush hour traffic. Max 1.5 hours back to LAX. Arrive back at 5:30.

I think it can be done. One thing in your favor, if you have a driver, you can use the carpool lane to and from the Getty (405 freeway) which will reduce driving times a bit.

You could have the driver stop by Johnnie's Pastrami on the way (Washington and Sepulveda) get a quick lunch there or eat in the car...

And yes, I do know the LA traffic patterns...

Last edited by Vic Romano; 12-12-2018 at 04:02 PM..

Old 12-12-2018, 04:18 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,553 times
^^I agree with Vic, but will point out that it's a Saturday so the return trip to LAX isn't really rush hour and should only take half the time.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:54 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,373,059 times
I will agree with everyone else except have your driver stop @ InnOut! Eating at any restaurant will 'eat' too much time

Which Getty are you going to?

Old 12-12-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
^^I agree with Vic, but will point out that it's a Saturday so the return trip to LAX isn't really rush hour and should only take half the time.
Yes, a little difference but it is still crowded on Saturday!!!

Old 12-12-2018, 07:23 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
I’ve noticed that getting to the terminals once you drive into the airport can take a significant amount of time during peak travel days. Even on the weekends.

You can phone in your order to Johnnies and be in and out before you can even park and place an order at In N out. Johnnies only accepts cash and bring a lot of it for a sandwich, if I remember correctly. Traffic will be backed up onto the freeway on these peak days even Sepulveda will be gridlocked.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Let's break it down:

If you arrive at LAX at noon, do you have to move any luggage? Let's say you leave LAX at 1pm.

I'd allow an hour to get to the Getty (probably won't take that long). 2pm.

Eat lunch at the Getty (restaurant or cafe) and visit. 2 hours max? 4pm.

You leave in rush hour traffic. Max 1.5 hours back to LAX. Arrive back at 5:30.

I think it can be done. One thing in your favor, if you have a driver, you can use the carpool lane to and from the Getty (405 freeway) which will reduce driving times a bit.

You could have the driver stop by Johnnie's Pastrami on the way (Washington and Sepulveda) get a quick lunch there or eat in the car...

And yes, I do know the LA traffic patterns...
THANK YOU! No luggage.. it will be checked through Australia. Just my backpack and a travel bag.
My seat is towards the front but I still have to schlep through the terminal, find myway to rental cars.

I expect to be on the road by 1pm.
Arrive Getty: 2pm
Stay @ Getty: 2 hours
Depart Getty: 4pm
Drive back to LAX. Budget extra half hour so 1.5 hours
Back at LAX: 530pm

Thanks to all who chimed in. I know Boston traffic. I know NY traffic patterns even better. My only experience with LA traffic was driving during rush hour and I did not enjoy.

Alternatively if there are sites to see closer (maybe south).. can be nature (not nec, museums). I'm open to suggestions. I just dread being at the terminal for 8 hours (even though I have access to the Lounge) I was told there is a Peterson Automobile Museum that is worth checking out. but I cant do both the Getty and Cars on an 8 hour layover

Last edited by minibrings; 12-12-2018 at 08:57 PM..

Old 12-12-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
I will agree with everyone else except have your driver stop @ InnOut! Eating at any restaurant will 'eat' too much time

Which Getty are you going to?
Not the house.. the modern building on a bluff. Its been on my list to see for a while..

Ah InnOut.. jungle style!

Old 12-12-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
THANK YOU! No luggage.. it will be checked through Australia. Just my backpack and a travel bag.
My seat is towards the front but I still have to schlep through the terminal, find myway to rental cars.

I expect to be on the road by 1pm.
Arrive Getty: 2pm
Stay @ Getty: 2 hours
Depart Getty: 4pm
Drive back to LAX. Budget extra half hour so 1.5 hours
Back at LAX: 530pm

Thanks to all who chimed in. I know Boston traffic. I know NY traffic patterns even better. My only experience with LA traffic was driving during rush hour and I did not enjoy.

Alternatively if there are sites to see closer (maybe south).. can be nature (not nec, museums). I'm open to suggestions. I just dread being at the terminal for 8 hours (even though I have access to the Lounge) I was told there is a Peterson Automobile Museum that is worth checking out. but I cant do both the Getty and Cars on an 8 hour layover
Getty Museum is the best choice. It is near the 405 freeway for easy access. You do need to allow time for parking. I believe if it is crowded you have to park in a far parking lot and take a tram to the museum.

Peterson Museum is a good choice to visit, but the problem is it isn't so close to the freeway (I-10) and a few miles inland of the 405 freeway. It is closer as the crow flies but that's going by street. It takes more time to get there. The schedule would be VERY tight.

The only other places you might consider is Venice Boardwalk or Santa Monica Pier. Not sure if the freeway is the way to go or straight up Sepulveda/Pacific Coast Highway.

Going south, there isn't too much really noteworthy (some beaches) until you get to Long Beach (Queen Mary, Aquarium of the Pacific). But I think it's too far.

Johnnie's is a little expensive (I think a pastrami sandwich is about $14) but you won't go away hungry. It's a local icon. If you're cheap to go Tito's Tacos around the corner from Johnnie's or find In-n-Out (near LAX on Sepulveda).

I thought when you said you had a "hire car" it meant you had a driver. You have a rental car, correct? You won't be able to use the carpool lane on the freeway. The traffic on Saturday will be heavy but not quite as bad as rush hour.

Last edited by Vic Romano; 12-12-2018 at 09:52 PM..

Old 12-12-2018, 10:56 PM

823 posts, read 1,055,294 times
You will save yourself at least an hour or more if you use Uber instead of renting a car. Picking up and dropping off a rental car can be a long nightmare at LAX, because they are all offsite so you have to bus to/from and they’re always busy. Uber also means they can drop you off, no parking hassles.

I also wouldn’t count on traffic being half what it is in the week. The 405 can be packed pretty much anytime of day or night.

But having said all that, you’ll still have time to get there and back in 8 hours. Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles