Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 09:10 PM

702 posts, read 953,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Yeah, you don't like cars...we get it. I'm not giving up mine, though. Why don't you chill and have a slice of pie...

Not everything is a personal attack! The world does not revolve around YOU. The debate is about TRANSPORTATION - not whether or not one person will ride light rail. No one cares what one person will do. That's the problem with conservatives, they think everything is about the "rugged individual." News flash: most problems are about large groups or percentages of the population, including this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 09:57 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
Not everything is a personal attack! The world does not revolve around YOU. The debate is about TRANSPORTATION - not whether or not one person will ride light rail. No one cares what one person will do. That's the problem with conservatives, they think everything is about the "rugged individual." News flash: most problems are about large groups or percentages of the population, including this one.
Strawman much?

Old 01-24-2019, 10:20 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,752,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
I'm tired of being forced to drive everywhere because transit is terrible. I'm tired of people driving too fast and killing people. I'm tired of disgusting dirty air. The status quo is not okay. Conservatives love to write off arguments by calling people names (so childish!)...
You seem unhappy. You're living in the wrong country. You should consider Greenland.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:50 PM

702 posts, read 953,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
No, what's elitist is telling us what to do here. People like you want to take away everybody's car and cram residents into shoebox apartments. That's not what we're about here.

^ The most ridiculous strawman argument of all ^

Old 01-24-2019, 11:50 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,394,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
You seem unhappy. You're living in the wrong country. You should consider Greenland.
The USA is a big country. If you want suburban sprawl by all means move to Phoenix.

Between roughly 1900 and 1960 LA an extensive inter-urban rail system. At its peak it was over 1,000 miles. The automobile isn't going to be banned. But building back more rail capacity and other forms of transit makes a lot of sense. So does some form of congestion pricing...granted this should be rolled out carefully/experimentally.

Some posters on this board want to act like they speak for the entire city or region. They don't. And they are clueless about LA's past.

Last edited by Astral_Weeks; 01-25-2019 at 12:09 AM..

Old 01-25-2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

Like most of the ideas the bureaucrats here come up with , it’s a bad one .
It wasn't a bureaucrat who came up the idea. It was the Nobel winning economist William Vickrey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Vickrey

And as I stated previously in the thread: the Trump administration endorsed congestion pricing in its 2017 infrastructure plan.

https://www.economist.com/gulliver/2...0ca4f3fbc1d354

Old 01-25-2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
...And they are clueless about LA's past.
You referring to me?

Old 01-25-2019, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
You referring to me?
No Vic. That last comment was not aimed at you.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:21 AM

3,347 posts, read 2,310,312 times
I’d be curious how would they collect the fee?
Is it going to be pay by plate, just like with toll roads and bridges around the state?
I can see the biggest issue would be all these rental cars running around or borrowed cars running around. Rental car customers have often been gauged by rental companies with extra fees for processing electronic tolls especially when the toll authority messes up and falsely accuses you of not paying. Yes sometimes even if we bring a transponder with working battery that beeps everytime passing a toll point this can happen.
I know that there is no way that manned toll booths would be used to collect this charge. Just impossible. Especially given that most toll roads and bridges no longer have personnel collecting cash.

I do wish Los Angeles overhauls its road and rail transit options as well as its development policies to alleviate congestion though. Ie having parking per block standards instead of parking per property(to reduce congestion due to circling for parking), build a heavy rail metro down Wilshire and down I10 corridor in San Gabriel Valley, and having bypass viaducts built underground if necessary to alleviate congestion due to the freeway revolt gaps.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
No Vic. That last comment was not aimed at you.
Whew!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles