U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-05-2019, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles (Native)
24,878 posts, read 14,624,120 times
Reputation: 11815

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
But you don't pay for the congestion you cause, or the air you pollute. That's what congestion pricing addresses - your affect on others.
Commuters that commute long distances already pay more . They pay more for gas as they have to purchase more gallons and they have to pay more on wear and tear on their vehicles .

They pay more in insurance , more miles you drive the higher the insurance is .

These people are commuting to jobs because they can’t afford to live closer to work . So it is really adding insult to injury to poor and middle class people .

It’s bad for the economy too as it’s one more thing that’ll make L.A a less desirable place to do business . Along with $15 min wage and tons of red tape .
Also a less desirable place to live especially if someone was on the fence about moving .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2019, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
621 posts, read 646,607 times
Reputation: 1202
Congestion pricing helps the poor get to their jobs. It's hard to live 50 miles from work when traffic is stop-and-go. It's hard to get to work at all if you're too poor to own and maintain a car. Polls of the poor indicate they support tolling.


https://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/congestionp...ces/equity.htm


Transportation equity: Why peak period road pricing is fair | City Observatory


https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._for_Stockholm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2019, 11:35 AM
 
Location: SoCal
3,182 posts, read 2,252,687 times
Reputation: 2405
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
Congestion pricing helps the poor get to their jobs. It's hard to live 50 miles from work when traffic is stop-and-go. It's hard to get to work at all if you're too poor to own and maintain a car. Polls of the poor indicate they support tolling.


https://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/congestionp...ces/equity.htm


Transportation equity: Why peak period road pricing is fair | City Observatory


https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._for_Stockholm
Exactly! Traffic congestion cost the city of LA $19 Billion dollars, and the average driver wasted $2,800 in wasted time and fuel. Whatever they charge for congestion pricing I can guarantee it'll be less than $2,800. If the buses were free I'd ride them as well. It'd be a nice option they just need more direct rapid lines.

These people do not care about low income residents. Don't let them fool you just another ploy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2019, 03:31 PM
 
Location: California
30,169 posts, read 32,775,724 times
Reputation: 25534
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
But you don't pay for the congestion you cause, or the air you pollute. That's what congestion pricing addresses - your affect on others.
Increased gas tax, increaed registration fees, etc. have all used this as an excuse. How long have you been voting in CA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2019, 05:43 PM
 
Location: West Los Angeles
9,485 posts, read 9,430,247 times
Reputation: 9493
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
Congestion pricing helps the poor get to their jobs. It's hard to live 50 miles from work when traffic is stop-and-go. It's hard to get to work at all if you're too poor to own and maintain a car. Polls of the poor indicate they support tolling.


https://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/congestionp...ces/equity.htm


Transportation equity: Why peak period road pricing is fair | City Observatory


https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._for_Stockholm
There are natives to this city who never voted to build it up. And now people like you want to take more money from us? That's so wrong on too many levels to list...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2019, 06:04 PM
 
Location: SoCal
3,182 posts, read 2,252,687 times
Reputation: 2405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Increased gas tax, increaed registration fees, etc. have all used this as an excuse. How long have you been voting in CA?
Gas taxes to improve roads, and increased registration fees have nothing to do with congestion pricing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2019, 07:03 PM
 
Location: West Los Angeles
9,485 posts, read 9,430,247 times
Reputation: 9493
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Gas taxes to improve roads, and increased registration fees have nothing to do with congestion pricing.
But why are people who had no say in how overdeveloped L.A. gets responsible for congestion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 09:04 AM
 
Location: SoCal
3,182 posts, read 2,252,687 times
Reputation: 2405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
But why are people who had no say in how overdeveloped L.A. gets responsible for congestion?
If you are on the roads during congestion then yes you are partially responsible for congestion. LA is already overdeveloped there's nothing we can do about that now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 06:14 PM
 
Location: West Los Angeles
9,485 posts, read 9,430,247 times
Reputation: 9493
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
If you are on the roads during congestion then yes you are partially responsible for congestion. LA is already overdeveloped there's nothing we can do about that now.
I'd say the people who made L.A. congested are responsible. I'm just a guy who was born and raised here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
621 posts, read 646,607 times
Reputation: 1202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I'd say the people who made L.A. congested are responsible. I'm just a guy who was born and raised here.

When were LA streets uncongested? 1910? It's a city not a rural village... The population was already over 14 million in 1990 (30 YEARS AGO). You can't expect a place with this high of a population to have uncongested streets without strong policies discouraging driving and encouraging transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top