U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM

2,422 posts, read 4,498,642 times

Advertisements

I've been seeing people doing this. Is it legal, or are you supposed to park a certain number of feet from a stop sign?

I couldn't find it in the driver's booklet.

The other night I was driving and an SUV was parked next to a stop sign so that I couldn't see it. I suddenly saw the stop sign and I had to slam on my brakes.

You're not supposed to park on a red curb, of course, but sometimes the curb is not red near a corner.

I've been driving for decades and I never saw this until just now. It especially happens on Emerson Ave. in Monterey Park. Or intersections that meet it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM

9,475 posts, read 9,422,202 times
Was this at a T-intersection? There's one not far from my home and the curb adjacent to the sign isn't painted red to prevent this same thing from happening.

Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM

3,136 posts, read 2,242,556 times
Some cities I've noticed are different like in the city of Orange in OC you're able to literally park around the entire corner next to the stop sign. I think this is more efficient than most places where there's a massive useless space. I like you have just recently saw this as well so it depends on the city most don't allow this.

Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM

8,599 posts, read 5,354,064 times
In most places, you are to park at lest 15 feet? from the intersection and the stop sign is generally ten feet away from the intersecting street. Combined, it is 25 feet. I believe that is the standard.

Old Yesterday, 11:11 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,276,219 times
In the absence of a local ordinance or legal signage, so long as you don't break the plane of a marked or unmarked crosswalk, you can park right up to a posted stop sign.

Old Yesterday, 11:34 PM

1,787 posts, read 4,070,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
In the absence of a local ordinance or legal signage, so long as you don't break the plane of a marked or unmarked crosswalk, you can park right up to a posted stop sign.
My thoughts

Unless you drive a monster truck the sign should still be visible upon approach

Old Today, 07:30 AM

6,199 posts, read 3,368,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
My thoughts

I guess the problem is that there are a lot more little monsters on the streets. From taller police cruisers to the "family" car along with the luxury converted military vehicle. And the signage is being obscured similar to all the monsters squeezing into posted compact, and regular for that matter, spaces in parking lots

Old Today, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
My thoughts

I was thinking the same thing! Even in Orange where cars park in front of the stop sign they were all still visible.

Old Today, 01:14 PM

2,422 posts, read 4,498,642 times
It is not a t-intersection.

I never see people doing this in Pasadena. Maybe the laws are different.

Old Today, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
It is not a t-intersection.

I never see people doing this in Pasadena. Maybe the laws are different.
To answer your OP the laws vary by jurisdiction. So it's legal in some places while in places like LA you have to keep your distance. Think of all the street parking we're missing out on though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or