Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 09:14 AM

290 posts, read 363,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Question Bro View Post
To be fully American an immigrant must forsake any allegiance to his/her country of origin. Bottom line. Anyone who is unwilling to do that does not deserve to be called an American or to live here.
What is American? What is American culture? I don’t think you know sweety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 09:20 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,346,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Question Bro View Post
To be fully American an immigrant must forsake any allegiance to his/her country of origin. Bottom line. Anyone who is unwilling to do that does not deserve to be called an American or to live here.
A lot of truth here. Why do people move here then complain about how terrible America is?

Old 03-09-2019, 10:36 AM

630 posts, read 519,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
No, but many of them would tell you that they are of pure Spanish descent (they object to being called/having it implied they are Mexican, or are "like" Mexicans).

I think CA has more intermarriage to be honest. Overall the Latino culture in CO is very Americanized; any foreign influence is rather muted in comparison to CA.
In the LA area, it is not rare to hear Latinos claiming pure spanish ancestry and/or other European ancestry, although they are nearly always just as mestizo as any body else.

Intermarriage are uncommon here, non-hipanics whites are a small minority so the lack of candidate makes it difficult anyways.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:39 AM

630 posts, read 519,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
People from Spain living in the Americas are most certainly Hispanics or Latinos if they choose to be. Americans and Canadians are also Anglos if they choose to be. I consider myself Anglo-American despite of partial French, Portuguese, and Brazilian ancestry. In my opinion, if you grew up speaking primarily English, you are Anglo. If you grew up speaking primarily French, Spanish, or another Latin (Romance) language, you are Latino, but some will quibble.
So African-Americans, Chicanos, Chinese Americans are Anglo?

Old 03-09-2019, 11:06 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,885,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLForr View Post
What is American? What is American culture?

Arriving illegally and demanding free stuff from "racists"?

Old 03-09-2019, 08:12 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,202,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
No, but many of them would tell you that they are of pure Spanish descent (they object to being called/having it implied they are Mexican, or are "like" Mexicans).

I think CA has more intermarriage to be honest. Overall the Latino culture in CO is very Americanized; any foreign influence is rather muted in comparison to CA.
The truth is, many of the ‘hispanos’, even earlier on, included mestizos too. I’m not sure that very many historians will dispute that anymore.

It’s somewhat analagous to meeting an anglo in New England/Boston area claiming to have family that came over on the Mayflower. Yes, it will be true for some but for others they like to self-identify as such for prestige.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:30 PM

3,205 posts, read 3,478,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
So African-Americans, Chicanos, Chinese Americans are Anglo?
The vast majority of African-Americans are Anglos. Look up 'Afro-Anglo Americans.' There are some black Hispanics and black Latinos, but the vast majority of black Americans are Anglo. Anglo is an ethnicity and a language group. It is something that someone can self-identify with. It's not a fixed definition. Americans of Asian descent would fall along the same lines. Again, this is something one self-identifies with.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:58 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,202,420 times
Quote:
People from Spain living in the Americas are most certainly Hispanics or Latinos if they choose to be. Americans and Canadians are also Anglos if they choose to be. I consider myself Anglo-American despite of partial French, Portuguese, and Brazilian ancestry. In my opinion, if you grew up speaking primarily English, you are Anglo. If you grew up speaking primarily French, Spanish, or another Latin (Romance) language, you are Latino, but some will quibble.
I agree up until where you mention a French language speaker would be lumped in with Latinos. There’s no need to expand the definition or conflate with areas of Europe that speak other latin based romance languages, at least not in the context we are looking at here.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:14 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,597,730 times
Quote:
The vast majority of African-Americans are Anglos. Look up 'Afro-Anglo Americans.' There are some black Hispanics and black Latinos, but the vast majority of black Americans are Anglo.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:56 AM

4,625 posts, read 3,357,524 times
Quote:
The vast majority of African-Americans are Anglos. Look up 'Afro-Anglo Americans.' There are some black Hispanics and black Latinos, but the vast majority of black Americans are Anglo. Anglo is an ethnicity and a language group. It is something that someone can self-identify with. It's not a fixed definition. Americans of Asian descent would fall along the same lines. Again, this is something one self-identifies with.

Dude...you are seriously K-R-A-Z-Y!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles