U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 10:51 PM

4 posts, read 1,454 times

Advertisements

I just got back from a recon trip to LA. I toured both PVPHS + PVHS. I was particularly impressed with PVHS. That being said, I am going back in 3 weeks to tour Agoura Hills HS. A major focus for the HS is that it must have a Video/Film Production program. As per the Las Virgenes' website - Agoura has it but not Calabasas HS. So that strikes Calabasas from the list of possible cities to live in.

I know that PV is a much longer commute b/c of the time it takes to get off the hill. Honestly, as long as the HS is the right fit for my son, I don't care. My kids are in schools for the next 6 years. After that, I can move anywhere in LA we want, without concern for the assigned schools. So don't let the commute issue throw you off.

Here is what I am really, ideally looking for:

I am looking for the best film program between those 2 schools, and an inclusive atmosphere at both the school, as well as the neighborhood.

I was able to look at homes in AH + PV this past weekend. AH is much nicer in terms of newer model homes, and larger floor plans. PV is nice in it's own right, but much smaller, older, etc.

I just want my kids to be able to make friends in the neighborhood and assimilate in with the community in a short period of time.

If anyone has thoughts on the pros/cons about AH v. PV, please sound off.

Take the commute issue off the table for now - just want to focus on the community and schools (particularly the film program) of each of those two schools, and their respective neighborhoods.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 10:57 PM

9,563 posts, read 9,492,364 times
A con of PV is that it's somewhat isolated. A pro of PV is also that it's somewhat isolated.

If you like walking in the daytime, you may want to take note of how much shade is on any particular street, since a lot of PV residents only want a minimal # of trees so their ocean views are not obstructed and it's easy to get sunburned walking in the daytime. The ocean views totally rock, though, and you'll feel great absorbing the negative ions.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:13 PM

11,997 posts, read 5,689,548 times
I looked at both catalogs and it seems like AH has actual courses in film production versus Palos Verdes is more video production of news and such.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:03 AM

4,383 posts, read 5,154,190 times
I know nothing of the education and entertainment industry but wonder if the proximity and accessibility to the higher education facilities, SMC, LMU, UCLA, would be more beneficial than the high school programs. There might even be opportunity for college credit in while in high school.

https://venicehs-lausd-ca.schoolloop...=i17eb1ycbz122

Job Training Classes

http://www.veniceskills.org/wp-conte...deoProd18c.pdf

Campus Programs

https://summer.lmu.edu/pre-collegeac...screenwriting/

https://summer.ucla.edu/institutes/DigitalFilmmaking

Edit: I saw LAUSD was out in your other post.
LAUSD has over 90 high schools, look where two of them placed in the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...l_Championship

Last edited by thelopez2; 03-11-2019 at 04:58 AM..

Old 03-12-2019, 05:17 PM

66 posts, read 28,740 times
Agoura Hills is nice, but Palos Verdes is just drop dead gorgeous. I am not sure which city on the peninsula you visited, but Palos Verdes Estates, for example, has no tract homes, and it's a much wealthier area than Agoura Hills. It can take a while to get off the hill, but it really depends on where in the hill you live. It is great that it's close to the beach cities. Personally, I think Agoura Hills is ok, but you can't really compare it to PV. PV is on another level.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:50 PM

3,394 posts, read 2,322,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleSec View Post
Agoura Hills is nice, but Palos Verdes is just drop dead gorgeous. I am not sure which city on the peninsula you visited, but Palos Verdes Estates, for example, has no tract homes, and it's a much wealthier area than Agoura Hills. It can take a while to get off the hill, but it really depends on where in the hill you live. It is great that it's close to the beach cities. Personally, I think Agoura Hills is ok, but you can't really compare it to PV. PV is on another level.
The same brothers who designed NYC's central park designed Palos Verdes, but even if they didn't the place would still be drop dead gorgeous.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:04 PM

72 posts, read 209,467 times
I've lived in both places. My oldest went to PVHS. She did make a few friends. The affluence is there for sure. Teens and adults there in general are more aggressive in their personalities. Teens are driving brand new Jeeps, surfing at the beach, shopping at Del Amo Mall. The city itself is not friendly towards teens. There is no place to really hang out.

Agoura Hills is more laid back because it's just up the canyon from Malibu. Calabasas High will have the affluence and snobbery. But AH will have a more artsy crowd. Kids may be more diverse and accepting. It's more middle-class compared to Calabasas High. It's a country-like, equestrian, old town that doesn't try to be glitzy or showy.

I don't know much about the film programs. But you really can't pick one place over the other based on beauty of the landscape. Palos Verdes is about that distant Queen's Necklace view of the ocean. Agoura Hills is the 360* green hills that follow you in every direction you go. The nice thing about the Las Virgines school district is that you can live in neighboring towns and still go to AH. So if you find a nice place in Westlake Village or Calabasas, you can still go to AH.

But Palos Verdes Estates is more expensive in home prices and rental prices. You don't want to live too far away from the high schools. The road that takes you there is winding and everyone else is taking it too. There are really no shortcuts in PV.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:33 PM

9,563 posts, read 9,492,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saimamom View Post
I've lived in both places. My oldest went to PVHS. She did make a few friends. The affluence is there for sure. Teens and adults there in general are more aggressive in their personalities. Teens are driving brand new Jeeps, surfing at the beach, shopping at Del Amo Mall. The city itself is not friendly towards teens. There is no place to really hang out.

Agoura Hills is more laid back because it's just up the canyon from Malibu. Calabasas High will have the affluence and snobbery. But AH will have a more artsy crowd. Kids may be more diverse and accepting. It's more middle-class compared to Calabasas High. It's a country-like, equestrian, old town that doesn't try to be glitzy or showy.

I don't know much about the film programs. But you really can't pick one place over the other based on beauty of the landscape. Palos Verdes is about that distant Queen's Necklace view of the ocean. Agoura Hills is the 360* green hills that follow you in every direction you go. The nice thing about the Las Virgines school district is that you can live in neighboring towns and still go to AH. So if you find a nice place in Westlake Village or Calabasas, you can still go to AH.

But Palos Verdes Estates is more expensive in home prices and rental prices. You don't want to live too far away from the high schools. The road that takes you there is winding and everyone else is taking it too. There are really no shortcuts in PV.
I see tons of kids hanging out around the Promenade on the Peninsula.

Old Yesterday, 06:36 AM

2,858 posts, read 1,532,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
The same brothers who designed NYC's central park designed Palos Verdes, but even if they didn't the place would still be drop dead gorgeous.
Correction: Frederick Law Olmsted (Senior) designed Central Park in NYC.

His sons: John Charles Olmsted and Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr. were integral in the design of Palos Verdes Estates, not all of Palos Verdes.

The gently winding roadways, green hillsides and paths in Palos Verdes Estates were laid out by the Olmsted brothers. A large swath of eucalyptus, pepper, and coral trees were planted or persevered and a full 28% of the land area was dedicated to be permanent open space. This early planning and dedication of parklands gives the City its unique character.

Most notably the northern entry to the Hill at Malaga Cove in Palos Verdes Estates echoes an Italian Mediterranean town planning concept.

Old Today, 10:49 AM

927 posts, read 570,688 times
Given your screen name, I assume that you originate in the New York metropolitan area. Therefore, it is likely you and your family are either Jewish or Roman Catholic, if religious. In that case, Agoura Hills will be a better long-term fit for you and your family than Palos Verdes Estates, Rancho Palos Verdes, Rolling Hills or Rolling Hills Estates. Given its close proximity San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles, Agoura Hills and nearby Calabasas are more ethnically and religiously diverse than the cities of the Palos Verdes Peninsula, which are mostly Mainline Protestant by contrast. Also, Agoura Hills will have more transplants from New York, which is always an important relocation-related consideration for New Yorkers. On the other hand, the Palos Verdes Peninsula is home to mostly white California natives and Midwestern transplants, similar to the South Bay of Los Angeles and Orange County (i.e., people with whom New York natives do not typically mesh well).

Last edited by Bert_from_back_East; Today at 10:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or