U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 07:54 PM

15,675 posts, read 14,928,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I hate to tell you but Kevin De Leon flunked our at UCSB and he graduated from Claremont McKenna College.
De Leon dropped out of UCSB; he didn't flunk out. And he then graduated from Pitzer College.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 09:14 PM

369 posts, read 141,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Reading tweets and such since the college admissions scandal broke yesterday, it appears that some or most people wonder who has to bribe, especially tens of thousands of dollars or more, in order to gain admission to UCLA and USC? After all, they're not Yale or other ivy-league schools....

It seems that most of the country sees both as easy-to-get-into mediocre state schools? Are they wrong? I believe so.

Now, from what I know here on the "snobby (?) east coast, both schools are very rigorous, and usually only the top students gain entry. But...here in the Northeast and maybe other parts of the country, it appears that many or most think all state schools are far inferior, to any private school. That's not true, as many private schools have higher acceptance rates than some state schools. But it's a perception, and that's why some folks likely believe only mediocre students attend your USC and UCLA?

In reality, they're similar and likely much harder, it seems, to gain admission vs. Boston College and Boston University here where I live, as well as Northeastern University, Babson College, Bentley University, Wellesley, and Brandeis here in the Boston area, never mind Universury of Massachusetts-Amherst, OUR state school. But since all of these Boston-area schools are private, save for the University of Massachusetts, many in my region seem to deem them far superior to any state school nationwide.

People are asking, "how dumb" can this celebrity's girl be if her parents had to bribe UCLA or USC with high dollars?! In other words, any average or worse student can gain admission, as they're seemingly only mediocre "state" schools. Obviously, they're not familiar with the University of Michigan, University of Virginia and other elite STATE schools...Yes, state schools can be Hugh quality...

Well, they're not officially Ivy League schools -- so east coasters and other elite must feel why would anyone need to bribe -- or want to bribe -- to gain admission to those two California schools. No offense, but oftentimes, we've never heard of your elite Claremont colleges, Cal Tech, and don't realize Berkeley and Stanford are elite, much more elite than most of what east coast schools can offer. Similarly, you've often never heard of our elite liberal arts colleges...

I read last night that UCLA is very hard to get into if from out of state. Thus, it's mainly Californians? Really? I just
simply assumed that UCLA and USC draw from a large international student body, many of whom likely pay full tuition for the honor of attending these prestigious schools, and international students are likely targeted as desirable vs. a local student of similar performance but who likely needs all kinds of scholarships and financial aid?

This dissing of UCLA and USC by some non-locals irks me, as they know nothing about them other than they're "just" state schools, not worthy of bribes. Most Americans could not gain admission, correct?

Please educate me.
In a twisted way I'm sure those "snobby east coasters" are expressing more jealous than anything else. Afterall, why didn't these unscrupulous millionaires want their children to attend the famed east coast institutions of higher learning.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:21 PM

919 posts, read 660,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC99 View Post
Being ranked in the top 25 for national universities by US News does not make you elite. The study you're referencing only compares national schools and omits liberal arts colleges like Williams College and Claremont McKenna College, or international elite schools like Cambridge and Oxford.

UCLA and USC are solid schools. I would not label either of them as elite schools, and especially not just because a magazine has them ranked high in a flawed list.
Did you not state, “by any means?” Do you not know how to use that phrase properly? Do you know why international schools were excluded from a “national” ranking? And btw, USNews has a separate ranking for liberal arts colleges. They do one for global universities too. If you want to compare UCLA to other international universities, you will be surprised how high it ranks...and not just from USNews either. I would say it is better than solid.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:03 PM

4,801 posts, read 1,515,535 times
Is going to college really worth bribing your way in though? I mean can't a person still have a good life without college, or are jobs as a result of college degrees, literally that much better that it's worth it?

Old 04-22-2019, 03:34 AM

601 posts, read 132,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Is going to college really worth bribing your way in though? I mean can't a person still have a good life without college, or are jobs as a result of college degrees, literally that much better that it's worth it?
Well yes and no ... you’re not going to become a dentist or a technician but a liberal arts degree or a generic “ business” major is useless to a potential employer.
Apart from specific vocational training in the medical or technical fields, law and scientific fields and to a certain extent accounting... college degrees are essentially useless.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:35 AM

210 posts, read 242,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
Did you not state, “by any means?” Do you not know how to use that phrase properly? Do you know why international schools were excluded from a “national” ranking? And btw, USNews has a separate ranking for liberal arts colleges. They do one for global universities too. If you want to compare UCLA to other international universities, you will be surprised how high it ranks...and not just from USNews either. I would say it is better than solid.
No, I did not use the phrase "by any means".

Elite???

Old 04-22-2019, 01:39 PM

919 posts, read 660,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC99 View Post
No, I did not use the phrase "by any means".

Elite???
Sorry. It was another poster.

You are definitely entitled to your opinion.

These sources disagree with you:

https://www.timeshighereducation.com...#survey-answer

ARWU World University Rankings 2018 | Academic Ranking of World Universities 2018 | Top 500 universities | Shanghai Ranking - 2018

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...ities/rankings

Old 04-22-2019, 09:53 PM

3,405 posts, read 3,530,712 times
Those that think a college degree from a well known school doesn't equate to economic opportunity are either clueless or simply trying to downplay the value.

I work with Stanford grads who had bullcrap degrees but where in high paying six figure positions because of their network. They were referred in for jobs by people who went to the same school.

Referrals have been the new form of discrimination for the past 10 years. All this buying college degrees stuff has been going on for years. And yes, there are privileges attached to having a name on your resume. Even if it is bought.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:14 PM

3,278 posts, read 1,305,966 times
Be that as it may, you'd think a lot of these well-heeled folks would have been better off using the bribe money, plus whatever tuition and fees they would have paid, to set up trust funds for their kids.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:01 AM

15,675 posts, read 14,928,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
All this buying college degrees stuff has been going on for years.
Not on this level. Taking a tax write off for paying a scam artist to fudge numbers? Bribing test-taking officials so that the applicant has more time to take the SAT (or supplying the correct answers directly), bribing athletic officials to falsely claim the applicant was an important recruit for a certain sport, sending fake photos of applicants engaged in athletic activities, e.g. rowing--for sports they didn't play? No way.

If you're talking about donating money to a school to which your child is going to apply, that's a whole different ballgame, and something that has been done for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or