U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 11:06 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,436,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
In 2017, for the first time the UC Regents placed a cap on how many non-residents can be admitted to UC schools. Of course, the non-residents pay more in tuition. But I agree that as a publicly funded higher ed system it should primarily educate Calif. residents.

https://www.latimes.com/local/educat...htmlstory.html

At the time this article was written (2017) the total non-resident undergrad population at UC schools was about 16.5 percent. The new cap limits non-resident enrollment at 18 percent.
By comparison, the University of Texas (Austin) caps its non-resident enrollment at 10%. This is explicitly by Texas state law. So for non-Texas applicants, UT is a lot more selective than the overall acceptance rate indicates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 07:54 AM

127 posts, read 153,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
It's a good school, but nothing special. Cal is special. Much more competitive school to get into than UCLA. In my book, it's the number 1 public university.

Again, doesn't make all much difference really in the long run. l worked with mostly colleagues who went to Cal and they were no smarter than me although I'm no dummy. Just sayin'. I suppose if I'd have grown up in CA, I would have gone there or one of the UC schools. No big deal. It's more of a big deal to the parents who then can tell other parents...."My kid went to so and so."
Why would you consider Berkeley "special" but not UCLA? Berkeley has historically been prestigious for much longer. But my understanding is that it's rarely distinguishable from UCLA anymore in rankings. And Berkeley isn’t harder to get into. Both were around 17% acceptance rate in 2016.

To answer the poster, people see public schools as easy and mediocre. That may be true of the east coast and elsewhere. It’s definitely not true of California which has America's most prestigious public university system, which may be why they’re surprised that a public school could be considered “elite”.

BTW if Twitter people don’t know the basic fact that USC is a private school, they probably don’t think really understand how these schools compare in academia. I’m often surprised how many people think Caltech is a vocational school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The sports programs at USC and UCLA have been so successful that many perceive the schools as just a cover for minor developmental leagues for the big money sports.

Then there is the general elite bias the culture has. It is not good enough for your fictional character to have been a soldier, he had to have been a Ranger, not just a Marine but a Special Operations guy, every Navy veteran was a fighter pilot or SEAL. As an example. Translated to schools only Harvard and secondarily Yale really count and the rest of the Ivy league along with the other top schools around the world which only accept the top ten percent of applications are just young adult day care in relation.
The funny thing is that people with these biases have no clue most of them couldn’t get into UCLA if they applied. As someone who works among brilliant scientists, no one sees UCLA as “less than.” Everyone is very well-aware of its academic and research reputation. With the general public? That’s a different story. They just know Harvard, Yale, Princeton and think Caltech must be a vocational school and think you’re joking when you tell them U of Penn is an Ivy league.

Last edited by savvysearch; 03-22-2019 at 08:26 AM..

Old 03-22-2019, 08:59 AM

15,592 posts, read 26,439,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I apologize for my misunderstanding of USC as a public school and not the private school that it is. Had no idea.

See how some (well, at least me) out on the east coast and elsewhere may not understand the nuances of the names. But some think Boston University is public (it's private) or think Boston College and Boston University are the same school. I don't blame their confusion if from other states.

Generally, I guess it all depends on where in the country one resides. I try to keep up, as a hobby, on different colleges and where they're located as well as their acceptance rate. I'm always learning when talking to people about various colleges.

And I was surely not trolling on California schools. It's only because UCLA and USC were prominently mentioned in this scandal. If it were Northwestern and the University of Chicago, I would have sought feedback in the Chicago forum, naturally. I came to this Los Angeles section in order to get more local information, so thank you all for clarifying!
USC is a prominent part of the Education system in Southern California.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ifornia_people

https://about.usc.edu/history/

the Alumni association is one of the best if not the best in the world. It was voted at the 10th best out of the top 50 Alumni associations in the Nation. (UCLA is 24th) Works similar to any of the Ivy league. Having a Diploma from USC can set you up for the remainder of your life. The connections that you will make in the school are top notch. Then again the Students at the school are already driven. You have to be to get in, especially if you don't have an Aunt Becky.

The 50 Most Powerful Alumni Networks - Best College Values

https://alumni.usc.edu/

Of course their is the Football program. USC has played in the Rose bowl more than any other College team. It has won more times than any other University has played in the Rose Bowl.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:23 AM

25,195 posts, read 14,986,777 times
$75k a year with room and board .. pretty expensive “state school “ .

https://admission.usc.edu/learn/cost-financial-aid/

Old 03-22-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
$75k a year with room and board .. pretty expensive “state school “ .

https://admission.usc.edu/learn/cost-financial-aid/
It compares to the cost of living here.

Fight on

Old 03-22-2019, 05:41 PM

25,195 posts, read 14,986,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
It compares to the cost of living here.

Fight on
It’s a bargain compared to the price Lori Loughlin paid

Old 03-24-2019, 12:12 PM

23,972 posts, read 17,204,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The sports programs at USC and UCLA have been so successful that many perceive the schools as just a cover for minor developmental leagues for the big money sports.

Then there is the general elite bias the culture has. It is not good enough for your fictional character to have been a soldier, he had to have been a Ranger, not just a Marine but a Special Operations guy, every Navy veteran was a fighter pilot or SEAL. As an example. Translated to schools only Harvard and secondarily Yale really count and the rest of the Ivy league along with the other top schools around the world which only accept the top ten percent of applications are just young adult day care in relation.
US News currently ranks Princeton number one, Harvard number two, and Columbia number three.

Particularly with graduate programs, depending on what you need to study in some Ivies may not have those graduate degrees. The only education departments (graduate) in the Ivy League are Harvard, Columbia, and University of Pennsylvania.

Want to go to vet school? I think one pretty much has to go to Cornell for that.

Princeton doesn't have a law school.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:23 PM

15,179 posts, read 14,610,952 times
Quote:
But Loughlin's was a bargain compared to what one parent paid to get his kid into Yale.

The family of a person identified as only “Yale Applicant One” paid Singer $1.2 million, including $900,000 into his charitable organization.
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...324-story.html

Old 03-24-2019, 04:41 PM

3,277 posts, read 2,757,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

Want to go to vet school? I think one pretty much has to go to Cornell for that.
Penn has a program. Looking for an Ivy League professional degree? Penn's probably got you covered.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I have known of parents that bought a condo for their children that is close by the school. They might keep it until the kids are done of choose to keep it after that. I met a parent that bought an apartment complex on the west side. His daughter took the Metro from Santa Monica to USC. The guy that bought the apartment complex was not an alumni and he told us that he would pay for school but his daughter had to get in. He did not seem to care which school. He was a Pepperdine Grad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or