U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2019, 05:42 PM

1,926 posts, read 1,658,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
You can direct it towards me, because I say it (at least with regards to USC - I have respect for UCLA).

There's nothing wrong with USC. It's just not a college I look at on a resume and think that it means the person I'm evaluating is de facto highly intelligent. It carries, to me, the same weight as Arizona State or Fordham or the like. The "University of Spoiled Children" moniker is entirely appropriate for that place.
I'm sorry, but I have to call you out on this on. Do you have a personal bias against USC? It's no Harvard or Stanford, I get that. You can dislike the school all you want, but the fact that you said that you put USC on the same level as ASU and Fordham is pretty insane. USC has an 11% acceptance rate as of this year, is ranked #17 in the nation by WSJ and #22(tied with Berkeley and ahead of UVA and Michigan), and the average GPA of an incoming freshman is 3.83 unweighted, 265 national Merrit scholars.

When did you attend university? USC, back in the day, is not the same university that it is today..both culturally and academically. It might have been known for only being a playground for the wealthy, but it's not the same anymore. 1 out of 4 of its undergraduates are eligible for a Pell Grant, that's more than any top 30 university. So I get that you might want to make a dig at the alumni from the OC who come from a long line of wealth, who send their kids there...but when you say "the university of spoiled children is appropriate for that place", it discredits the thousands of hard working students, who didn't grow up with a silver spoon, who attend the university. I chose between USC, UVA, and University of Michigan and most of my friends chose between USC and UC Berkeley/UCLA. Most of us had the option to go somewhere else, but we chose USC. I'm very happy with my decision, but it's sad to see that the culture of the school in the 20th century has tarnished it's reputation in the 21st century (in the eyes of some).
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 06:00 AM

15,287 posts, read 14,678,184 times
So she's out partying while her parents are facing possible prison terms? Something's really wrong with this family's belief system.

"....the beauty guru is not on speaking terms with Loughlin, 54, or Giannulli, 55, and she is still very upset at them."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebri...FOi?li=BBnb7Kz

Old 04-14-2019, 08:37 AM

512 posts, read 99,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
People pay that money just to get a useless BA because they feel that even a useless BA can beat out not having a BA in the first place. A bachelor's degree today is basically a ticket to be admitted to a competition that encompasses half the workforce. It doesn't mean much beyond that; it literally just allows you to participate. Success or failure are decided by actions taken beyond that. This leaves people in a position where it is known that a bachelor doesn't promise a good career but they also feel that they definitively need it nevertheless. So people feel forced to pay a lot of money just to play a game with a highly uncertain outcome...no wonder many feel ripped off.

Universities are complicit in this because they get to act as highly compensated gatekeepers. And because they know that the substance of what they teach is irrelevant for most applications there's little incentive to ensure any sort of quality on their part. The student gets their little BA that they wanted so they can apply to be a paper pusher somewhere and the school gets a ton of money. It's a racket.
Im starting to deliberately hire people without college degrees, frankly they are useless in practice. Id rather have someone who worked as an assistant manager at a fast food chain.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:34 PM

10 posts, read 2,209 times
USC and UCLA are certainly more than mediocre schools, but they are not elite by any means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Reading tweets and such since the college admissions scandal broke yesterday, it appears that some or most people wonder who has to bribe, especially tens of thousands of dollars or more, in order to gain admission to UCLA and USC? After all, they're not Yale or other ivy-league schools....

It seems that most of the country sees both as easy-to-get-into mediocre state schools? Are they wrong? I believe so.

Now, from what I know here on the "snobby (?) east coast, both schools are very rigorous, and usually only the top students gain entry. But...here in the Northeast and maybe other parts of the country, it appears that many or most think all state schools are far inferior, to any private school. That's not true, as many private schools have higher acceptance rates than some state schools. But it's a perception, and that's why some folks likely believe only mediocre students attend your USC and UCLA?

In reality, they're similar and likely much harder, it seems, to gain admission vs. Boston College and Boston University here where I live, as well as Northeastern University, Babson College, Bentley University, Wellesley, and Brandeis here in the Boston area, never mind Universury of Massachusetts-Amherst, OUR state school. But since all of these Boston-area schools are private, save for the University of Massachusetts, many in my region seem to deem them far superior to any state school nationwide.

People are asking, "how dumb" can this celebrity's girl be if her parents had to bribe UCLA or USC with high dollars?! In other words, any average or worse student can gain admission, as they're seemingly only mediocre "state" schools. Obviously, they're not familiar with the University of Michigan, University of Virginia and other elite STATE schools...Yes, state schools can be Hugh quality...

Well, they're not officially Ivy League schools -- so east coasters and other elite must feel why would anyone need to bribe -- or want to bribe -- to gain admission to those two California schools. No offense, but oftentimes, we've never heard of your elite Claremont colleges, Cal Tech, and don't realize Berkeley and Stanford are elite, much more elite than most of what east coast schools can offer. Similarly, you've often never heard of our elite liberal arts colleges...

I read last night that UCLA is very hard to get into if from out of state. Thus, it's mainly Californians? Really? I just
simply assumed that UCLA and USC draw from a large international student body, many of whom likely pay full tuition for the honor of attending these prestigious schools, and international students are likely targeted as desirable vs. a local student of similar performance but who likely needs all kinds of scholarships and financial aid?

This dissing of UCLA and USC by some non-locals irks me, as they know nothing about them other than they're "just" state schools, not worthy of bribes. Most Americans could not gain admission, correct?

Please educate me.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:21 PM

906 posts, read 648,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cane Guy View Post
USC and UCLA are certainly more than mediocre schools, but they are not elite by any means.
Both Being ranked in the top 25 for national universities by US News, Id considered them elite. UCLA is ranked #1 for public universities. Remember, you stated, by any means.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:55 PM

331 posts, read 126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Reading tweets and such since the college admissions scandal broke yesterday, it appears that some or most people wonder who has to bribe, especially tens of thousands of dollars or more, in order to gain admission to UCLA and USC? After all, they're not Yale or other ivy-league schools....

It seems that most of the country sees both as easy-to-get-into mediocre state schools? Are they wrong? I believe so.

Now, from what I know here on the "snobby (?) east coast, both schools are very rigorous, and usually only the top students gain entry. But...here in the Northeast and maybe other parts of the country, it appears that many or most think all state schools are far inferior, to any private school. That's not true, as many private schools have higher acceptance rates than some state schools. But it's a perception, and that's why some folks likely believe only mediocre students attend your USC and UCLA?

In reality, they're similar and likely much harder, it seems, to gain admission vs. Boston College and Boston University here where I live, as well as Northeastern University, Babson College, Bentley University, Wellesley, and Brandeis here in the Boston area, never mind Universury of Massachusetts-Amherst, OUR state school. But since all of these Boston-area schools are private, save for the University of Massachusetts, many in my region seem to deem them far superior to any state school nationwide.

People are asking, "how dumb" can this celebrity's girl be if her parents had to bribe UCLA or USC with high dollars?! In other words, any average or worse student can gain admission, as they're seemingly only mediocre "state" schools. Obviously, they're not familiar with the University of Michigan, University of Virginia and other elite STATE schools...Yes, state schools can be Hugh quality...

Well, they're not officially Ivy League schools -- so east coasters and other elite must feel why would anyone need to bribe -- or want to bribe -- to gain admission to those two California schools. No offense, but oftentimes, we've never heard of your elite Claremont colleges, Cal Tech, and don't realize Berkeley and Stanford are elite, much more elite than most of what east coast schools can offer. Similarly, you've often never heard of our elite liberal arts colleges...

I read last night that UCLA is very hard to get into if from out of state. Thus, it's mainly Californians? Really? I just
simply assumed that UCLA and USC draw from a large international student body, many of whom likely pay full tuition for the honor of attending these prestigious schools, and international students are likely targeted as desirable vs. a local student of similar performance but who likely needs all kinds of scholarships and financial aid?

This dissing of UCLA and USC by some non-locals irks me, as they know nothing about them other than they're "just" state schools, not worthy of bribes. Most Americans could not gain admission, correct?

Please educate me.
I had the fortune of working with plenty of folks who graduated from UCLA and USC (a private university) as well as graduates from the famed east coast universities and colleges. Aside from their NY, Philly, and Boston accents, which I thoroughly enjoyed, west coast grads (including those from Stanford and UC Berkeley) where just as intelligent and successful in their applied skills as their east coast counterparts. I came to realize that in most cases it was an individuals drive to succeed than the school he graduated from.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:29 AM

9,673 posts, read 6,468,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
I had the fortune of working with plenty of folks who graduated from UCLA and USC (a private university) as well as graduates from the famed east coast universities and colleges. Aside from their NY, Philly, and Boston accents, which I thoroughly enjoyed, west coast grads (including those from Stanford and UC Berkeley) where just as intelligent and successful in their applied skills as their east coast counterparts. I came to realize that in most cases it was an individuals drive to succeed than the school he graduated from.
Yes. What counts is what you do with that opportunity in education.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:32 AM

210 posts, read 240,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
Both Being ranked in the top 25 for national universities by US News, Id considered them elite. UCLA is ranked #1 for public universities. Remember, you stated, by any means.
Being ranked in the top 25 for national universities by US News does not make you elite. The study you're referencing only compares national schools and omits liberal arts colleges like Williams College and Claremont McKenna College, or international elite schools like Cambridge and Oxford.

UCLA and USC are solid schools. I would not label either of them as elite schools, and especially not just because a magazine has them ranked high in a flawed list.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:56 AM

210 posts, read 240,614 times
[quote=Veritas Vincit;54901479]I'm in D.C. now, a town full of flakes with prestige degrees duping their way upward on the back of happy hours and 'family friends'.[/QUOTE

As a fellow Washingtonian, I concur with your observation.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:05 PM

12,489 posts, read 5,968,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC99 View Post
Being ranked in the top 25 for national universities by US News does not make you elite. The study you're referencing only compares national schools and omits liberal arts colleges like Williams College and Claremont McKenna College, or international elite schools like Cambridge and Oxford.

UCLA and USC are solid schools. I would not label either of them as elite schools, and especially not just because a magazine has them ranked high in a flawed list.
I hate to tell you but Kevin De Leon flunked our at UCSB and he graduated from Claremont McKenna College. They rarely give Cs, they told us that when we visited them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or