U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 07:08 AM

14,967 posts, read 14,383,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
And from my experience, which is quite a bit, those people are secretly miserable and yearning for better. I've seen a ton of that.
That is apparent in your threads.

IRL, I know of no one who is unhappy about living in California, who can't afford it, or who has been hoping to move out of state but has been unable to. Not one single person of any age. And I'm probably old enough to be your mother. However, it certainly appears that these "miserable" people you speak of post frequently on this forum.

I do know of people who left the state for better jobs. Most of them miss it here, but are unable to return (including one family member). That's just my personal experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 01:58 PM

1,137 posts, read 519,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
That is apparent in your threads.

IRL, I know of no one who is unhappy about living in California, who can't afford it, or who has been hoping to move out of state but has been unable to. Not one single person of any age. And I'm probably old enough to be your mother. However, it certainly appears that these "miserable" people you speak of post frequently on this forum.

I do know of people who left the state for better jobs. Most of them miss it here, but are unable to return (including one family member). That's just my personal experience.
Are you familiar with everyone's current account statements? There are a lot of high-income households that live paycheck-to-paycheck, and I'd be willing to bet you a lot that they are more common in California than anywhere else.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:45 PM

2,527 posts, read 1,626,912 times
$93,000 seems like a low salary for Miami. I can't imagine making that little in LA, where gas costs alone will absolutely kill you.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:47 PM

4,624 posts, read 3,013,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
$93,000 seems like a low salary for Miami. I can't imagine making that little in LA, where gas costs alone will absolutely kill you.
OP doesn't own a car so no worries. If he decides to get one we have Tesla charging stations on every corner so gas isn't a concern

Old 03-15-2019, 05:39 PM

831 posts, read 725,245 times
Generally speaking, $93K is a good income even in LA, especially if you're a young, single person with little to no debt. It all depends on what you value.

If you're happy with a modest apartment in a decent area, an average car, don't eat out much, and enjoy free to low-cost activities such as hiking and outdoor movie screenings, you'll be fine in LA with an ability to save a fair amount of money.

But if your goal is to come to LA and feel the need to get a nice apartment in a prime area, go to trendy bars/restaurants on the regular, get a fancy gym membership, and lease a nice car, you're going to find yourself stretching your dollars and stressing about barely making ends meet. And then if you start associating more with like minded folks where societal peer pressure seeps in, then it can become a constant battle of trying to make more money to keep up. While this goes across the board anywhere, it's on a bigger scale in LA.

As noted, there are a lot more high-income households living paycheck to paycheck than you'd think. Because at the end of the day, it's not necessarily how much you make, but what you keep. You can be making $250K plus, but if you've got a massive mortgage, lease multiple luxury cars, eat out all the time, a bad shopping habit, etc., that money goes away quickly. And you need to really assess what your after-tax earnings are. Especially in California, after taxes, health insurance, etc., you're not left with a whole lot. If you start thinking more in terms of what your net income is rather than your gross income, it will better inform your decision making.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:02 PM

4,814 posts, read 6,169,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
The median household income for LA (2013-2017; in 2017 dollars) was said to be about $54,501 for a household of 2.83 people.
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...0217#INC110217

The median household income for Miami-Dade County, Florida (2013-2017; in 2017 dollars) was said to be about $46,338 for a household of 3.09 people.
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...rida/POP060210

OP, you should be just fine in LA. You only live once, so why not try California if that's what you want? You're not making a permanent commitment.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:04 PM

14,967 posts, read 14,383,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Are you familiar with everyone's current account statements?
No. (And I don't need to resort to sarcasm to make my point, either.)

Quote:
There are a lot of high-income households that live paycheck-to-paycheck, and I'd be willing to bet you a lot that they are more common in California than anywhere else.
You keep on believing whatever you want.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:42 PM

1,316 posts, read 813,646 times
I fail to understand why people who don't even live in LA try to argue the point with people who have lived (and continue to live) in the LA area most or all of their lives. If we say it can be done, it can be done. What makes you think you have better information than people who live there???

Old 03-15-2019, 10:50 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
910 posts, read 861,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
I am going in May for 1.5 weeks to see it's a place I can live. As I mentioned in another thread, I will not be getting a new job, rather I would transfer to our LA office. Because I am choosing to move there, I highly doubt that they will give me a COL increase.

So with that being said I will be bringing with me my Chicago salary. I currently make $93,500.00 per yer.

A few concerns:

1. Income tax in Illinois is 4.95%. In California I know it's almost triple that so I will have less money on my paycheck.

2. In Chicago I have no car (not needed) but I will have to buy one if I move to LA. That's an extra added expense.

3. While I make a solid salary, I do pay close together to $600 in student loans a month. But outside of that I have no debt. No credit card debt, no mortgage, no car loan debt (but if I move to LA I will have to get a car). Single guy here too.

So I guess my concern comes in the form that moving to LA I will have to pay more in rent, get a car, and my paycheck will be less. I would have to work in downtown so I am looking at apartments in Koreatown. But I am wondering if getting a roommate might be worth it to alleviate some of the financial burden? Or should my salary be okay?

Just curious on other's experiences there if what I make and all the factors considered, that my salary is manageable. Also, I should add that I am not one that needs to be eating at fancy places all the time, but yes, I do like to go out and try out different restaurants and bars be it if they are $ or $$$. I also want to be able to do a couple of domestic trips somewhere, and I always do one international trip somewhere. LA might help that I am starting to want to travel more to Asia, so I would think that Asia flights tend to be cheaper than from Chicago in general?

Assuming you can keep that salary (you may want to check with your company, because that could be a location budget issue), that should be more than enough as long as you don't go overboard and live within your means. That's not to say money will be tight necessarily, but regardless of income you have to live within your means.

From what I've experienced, there seems to be a lot of hyperbole and gloom-and-doom over the cost of living here. Yes, it's higher than most of the country overall, but it's not crippling in your price range. I moved from Phoenix, which is supposedly cheap, but I'm doing better here and don't make as much as you're expecting to make. I came here with a realistic expectation, and I also understand the reality of living in some less desirable areas with their only virtue being the land values and taxes aren't as high as in LA... but people move there, waving the triumphant flag of a Pyrrhic victory and all.

I live in Ktown and really enjoy it, but it's because I wanted a more urban and walkable area. I feel like it's a well-kept secret, as tourists often bypass it, though it has a unique charm and no shortage of entertainment options in addition to just about any amenity you need. Just know it's a bit more crowded and as someone else mentioned, the parking is bad should you end up getting a car. I think you could also just come to Ktown and try to explore as thoroughly on foot as possible to see apartments up-close and take down contact info (most places post it outside). I also really don't think you need a roommate. I don't have one and I'm doing fine.

You could probably do without a car for a while in LA, depending on what your life outside of work entails. You may even find taking a Lyft to some places is cheaper than car payments/gas/insurance. I have a car, but still use Lyft sometimes just to avoid the hassle of driving and parking. Aside from the trains, there's also bus service (which could potentially get confusing because of multiple systems, some of which aren't integrated with each other) that covers a lot of the area. You could easily live for a few months without a car and decide after moving if you want to get one or not.

For domestic trips, you have plenty of options nearby. There are quite a few places within driving distance if you buy or rent a car, including numerous state and national parks and some smaller towns, and neither the Bay Area nor Vegas are that far. I believe Amtrak has a number of lines out of Union Station if you want to take a train. There are a number of airports in the area, but LAX typically has the most competitive fares domestically, though keep in mind it also depends where you're going (e.g. if you fly to a smaller market, it could be expensive regardless). It's really the only one with any substantial international service, too. Airlines usually divide geographic areas into zones, with the US being split into multiple (based on market and/or proximity). In this instance, yes, more often than not you'll find LAX fares to Asia and Oceania to be cheaper than from Chicago.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:06 AM

222 posts, read 73,144 times
Quote:
There are a lot of high-income households that live paycheck-to-paycheck, and I'd be willing to bet you a lot that they are more common in California than anywhere else.
This statement is true, but you also have to factor in self infliction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or