U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 03:59 PM

1,564 posts, read 917,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I moved to LA in the 90s for grad school, then to the Midwest for work. My hope is to soon move back to LA. The main reason isn't the weather or the city-attractions. Instead, I want to be in a locale where (1) housing actually appreciates, and (2) one occasionally hears languages other than English, and runs into people who do NOT claim ancestors who moved to the US in the 17th century.

My greatest worry? CA state income tax. As a single person with investments, that marginal income tax rate is going to be painful.
For communication purposes I would prefer people around me speak English. I donít care what color they are but it is difficult to understand someone who speaks a language other than English. Sorry, but in this country the majority of people speak English. Our government documents, in our countryís infancy, was spoken and written in English. Btw, I studied French in high school and college and Italian in Italy as I did not expect them to speak English. Those languages were helpful when I visited other countries and in Germany I got the basics down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 05:25 PM

7,675 posts, read 4,918,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Actually, the housing costs are worse. It's nice if your house appreciates, but it's not like you can really access it.
That depends entirely on one's financial situation. If you're a billionaire (and I'm not), then your CA income tax on capital-gains is going to be a lot more costly than a $50M mansion in Brentwood. I'm intentionally using fanciful numbers to accentuate the point.

As for the sheer fact of housing appreciation, consider that a large aspect of wealth is psychological. What matters isn't personal wherewithal to afford this or that, but how one feels relative to one's supposed peers. If one's peer-group has $10M, but one has only $5M oneself, then one feels dejected and inferior. If one's peers have zero to their name, but one has $5, then one feels elated, elevated and superior. Those of us in the Heartland, whose houses haven't budged in price in 20 years, feel like backward chumps and losers, compared to the fellows and gals on the Coasts, who did nothing other than sit on their houses, and watched their home-equity burgeon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
CA is a failed state, but good luck. Taxes, traffic, etc. But I'm glad those that are there are paying my big pension despite the fact that I moved from that failed state. Thanks!!
Glad to be of service! Unfortunately my sojourn in CA is likely to be temporary. The long-term plan is to declare residency in a state with zero state/local income tax, and then to move abroad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
For communication purposes I would prefer people around me speak English. I donít care what color they are but it is difficult to understand someone who speaks a language other than English. Sorry, but in this country the majority of people speak English. ...
I am, by some measure, tolerably adept in speaking and writing English. But I also enjoy recourse to a couple of other languages, as circumstances dictate. It would be nice to do so, in other than diary-entries, dreams and long-distance phone calls. And it would be nice to be around people who do likewise, even if to me their speech is incomprehensible gibberish. We can all agree to use English when visiting the LA federal building, the DMV or whatnot. Otherwise, a multi-lingual (polyglot?) society is, by my reckoning, preferable.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:50 AM

1 posts, read 292 times
You can always move back. I lived in the LA burbs on three separate tours of work duty with different companies. The cost of living is insane now, more expensive than NYC. This is why I ultimately moved back to Brooklyn. It's also closer to PA, my home state. I'm no longer PA homesick because I'm there all the time .

Old 05-19-2019, 06:14 PM

5,352 posts, read 12,904,422 times
People on here always seem to think Phoenix is the answer but I find it not that great at all. I've been there a few times on business and was so glad to get back to LA.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:50 AM

71,426 posts, read 82,876,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
People on here always seem to think Phoenix is the answer but I find it not that great at all. I've been there a few times on business and was so glad to get back to LA.
I don't think you can compare the two, as other than being large metro areas they are very different. Also it is hard to compare any two ares when your experience is based on business only. You have to live in an area or certainly visit it for several days at a time to get a true feeling of what life is like. BTW, I am not taking sides on this, I am just saying a business trip or two can not give anyone an objective opinion of a city or region.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:56 AM

1,395 posts, read 897,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Muscle Car lives to criticize L.A. He hasn't moved out yet. I always say it can't be that bad if you don't do anything about it.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:08 PM

1,880 posts, read 797,236 times
I moved out of LA in 1971 and relocated to NYC. After about a year I was homesick and lonely and planning on moving back, but I met my future wife and stayed. The things I didn't like about LA was a lack of financial opportunity for me and a subtle class system that made me feel poor. There was a very clear distinction between the haves and have nots that seemed to be in my face all the time. NYC had opportunities, and all kinds of people living and working and riding the subways and walking the crowded sidewalks together and striving for a better life. I never felt like a have not in NYC.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:17 PM

7,190 posts, read 4,416,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Muscle Car lives to criticize L.A. He hasn't moved out yet. I always say it can't be that bad if you don't do anything about it.
The process of "doing something about it" can take years. And it should, if one is serious about relocating permanently. Visit the General Moving Issues forum to hear the complaints from people who moved without researching their new area thoroughly enough.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:50 PM

16 posts, read 5,062 times
I've been considering moving out of LA for awhile now because the politics are atrocious and the people running this state are idiots to the cellular level.

But I'm simply finding it hard to move because I can't find another city that is going to be as good. Anywhere else I go, I'm going to be "losing". It's like having a job that pays 200k and then you're moving to one that pays 150k.

Although I will gain in terms of housing, I will lose in areas that I find more valuable. The weather isn't just "the weather" ... I barely see any bugs here. If i go to other places, not only will I have to deal with crappier weather (either hotter, colder, drier or too wet), but I will also have to deal with bugs which I hate.

what's the point in having a nice big house with a yard if in the winter you're not gonna go there and in the summer to have a BBQ and you have to deal with humidity and bugs? here in LA you can truly enjoy the outdoors.

Southern California is just too good if you remove the cost of living, traffic and homelessness. If you make good money, then traffic and the homelessness are the only things to worry about.

If I were the mayor of LA, I'd be completely embarrassed about the poverty situation in the city.

Places I considered moving to:

- Seattle (I've been there and it looked nice for the most part but I don't think I can handle the 8 months of gloomy weather)
- Denver (too high, in terms of altitude, and way too dry. I have skin issues with dryness)
- Vegas and Phoenix ... same issue as above. way too dry.
- Washington DC... crap weather and possibly more expensive than LA. also, traffic.
- Chicago. Now Chicago might be a place I would be OK with moving to, despite the horrendous winters.
- Miami, too hot and humid...and bugs...and traffic. no thanks.
- Texas. Austin & Dallas. The weather and bugs are also keeping me away.

People stay in SoCal because of three factors:

- Scenery
- Food
- Weather

Nobody stays here for the politics.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:59 PM

19 posts, read 2,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
The process of "doing something about it" can take years. And it should, if one is serious about relocating permanently. Visit the General Moving Issues forum to hear the complaints from people who moved without researching their new area thoroughly enough.
Years? I've made 3 major moves in my life. It took less than a month for each once the decision was made.

$ht or get off the pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or