U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 11:06 AM

2,455 posts, read 2,774,001 times

Advertisements

Consume less. Enjoy Life more.

how simple!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 08:37 AM

15,504 posts, read 26,283,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Sounds like you have some great parents . I think I read of the same Uber driver , that was a really interesting story .
Yes my parents are pretty awesome. Even today. They still live within their means. Which is funny, because my 80 year old dad just purchased a new Cadillac XTS. A life of living within their means has allowed them to pay cash for things that they want.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:46 AM

15,504 posts, read 26,283,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Consume less. Enjoy Life more.

how simple!
What I would add is to stay away from debt, especially consumer debt. So much more freedom to plan out purchases so you can pay cash, and yes I am even talking about a car.

I will use my 21 year old son as an example. When he started working he realized that he could afford to get in debt for a car. We advised him to wait until he could afford the car in cash. He is in school now and does not need the debt. After working a couple years he had saved the cash for a late model Honda Civic. He has also paid cash for his education. I do his taxes for him and when he found out he was getting back close to $3,000 he was so happy because that would help out with his tuition at the University.

Another thing he has found is when he wants to go somewhere, many of his friends took the bait and got huge car payments. When he wants to go somewhere he has the money saved up.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:13 PM

3,424 posts, read 4,822,751 times
Dry your clothes on an indoor rack, or an outdoor line, instead of in clothes dryer. Wash only full loads of clothes.
Use L.E.D. light bulbs.
Subscribe to only basic cable plans. Or none at all, and use Hulu or Netflix.
Order only ice water in restaurants, and bring and add your own packet of powdered tea, lemonade, etc. Don't buy bottled water- it's unnecessary, unless your tap water has hard minerals, or a bad taste.
Turn off television and electric lights in rooms you're not using.
Avoid buying pre-cut vegetables and fruit - slice them yourself.
Avoid luxuries such as heated car seats, streaming Sirius car radio, custom wheels. Combine errands into a single trip.
Read borrowed books, magazines, and movies from your public library.
Make your own greeting cards, with hand-drawn designs, or photos printed from the "Google Images" site. Your hand-drawn designs or cartoons will be cherished for a lifetime.
Buy an infrared digital thermometer at home products stores, and walk around your house with it, to identify spots that need insulation, or drafty cracks sealed, such as around doors and windows.
Buy shoes at thrift stores - they're generally in nearly-new condition.
Do not vacuum out your air ducts - the E.P.A. says its not necessary, unless you have allergies.
Mow your own grass - why pay someone $50 for an hour of unskilled work? Wash your own car.
Usher at your community theater, to see the play for free.

Last edited by slowlane3; 03-26-2019 at 09:28 PM..

Old 03-27-2019, 11:25 AM

9,564 posts, read 9,495,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
I'm volunteering at the long beach grand prix. In return I get free admission to the race, free parking, breakfast, lunch & drinks. You can do this at just about every venue
That's a good deal, especially regarding parking. Do they have any openings left?

Old 03-27-2019, 07:30 PM

1,812 posts, read 4,091,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
That's a good deal, especially regarding parking. Do they have any openings left?
Shoot them an email and see. We could hangout if they do

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...rts-car-740285

Old Today, 05:40 AM

127 posts, read 73,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Dry your clothes on an indoor rack, or an outdoor line, instead of in clothes dryer. Wash only full loads of clothes.
Use L.E.D. light bulbs.
Subscribe to only basic cable plans. Or none at all, and use Hulu or Netflix.
Order only ice water in restaurants, and bring and add your own packet of powdered tea, lemonade, etc. Don't buy bottled water- it's unnecessary, unless your tap water has hard minerals, or a bad taste.
Turn off television and electric lights in rooms you're not using.
Avoid buying pre-cut vegetables and fruit - slice them yourself.
Avoid luxuries such as heated car seats, streaming Sirius car radio, custom wheels. Combine errands into a single trip.
Read borrowed books, magazines, and movies from your public library.
Make your own greeting cards, with hand-drawn designs, or photos printed from the "Google Images" site. Your hand-drawn designs or cartoons will be cherished for a lifetime.
Buy an infrared digital thermometer at home products stores, and walk around your house with it, to identify spots that need insulation, or drafty cracks sealed, such as around doors and windows.
Buy shoes at thrift stores - they're generally in nearly-new condition.
Do not vacuum out your air ducts - the E.P.A. says its not necessary, unless you have allergies.
Mow your own grass - why pay someone $50 for an hour of unskilled work? Wash your own car.
Usher at your community theater, to see the play for free.

I can see how heated car seats might be a luxury in So Cal. Where I live, though not standard, they are definitely a plus from early December to mid March. My wife insisted on having them in our last 3 cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or