Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 03:12 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times

Advertisements

If you can't afford to live in LA, you should leave. There are other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 03:15 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
If you're into extreme frugality, the place you really save money is housing. That probably means having a roommate, or multiple roommates to keep the cost down. Reusing ziplock bags isn't going to do much.

The next area for big savings is setting up your life up so you can live without a car, either because you can bike or because you take public transportation everywhere.

Also, if you're into extreme frugality, then you never, or almost never, eat out.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:20 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
THOUSANDS OF FRUGALITY TIPS ARE HERE, IN THIS OTHER FORUM

http://www.city-data.com//forum/frugal-living

Old 03-22-2019, 05:35 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
You can only cut so much. Some have already cut all they can. When I was growing up we had broadcast TV and my parents never paid for cable. As long as they lived in California they never paid for cable. They moved to Arizona in 2003 after living in California since 1959 and Ventura County from 1964 until they moved. (Same house for 38 years.)

My parents also only had one car when I was a kid. My mom has never driven a car. We grew food in a garden and raised chickens. If we wanted it we made it. My dad taught us that two things you need in life are tools and an education. We always had books in the house, two walls in my dad's office were books he had collected over the years. Always had a shop full of tools in the garage. My dad still has all his tools in a beautiful shop in there home in Arizona.

Since you can only cut so much the thing is to find things to make more money. A second job or side hustle. I read about a guy that wanted to open a jewelry store. To pay the bills he became an Uber driver. Then he realized he had a captive audience. He put a book together that showed the jewelry that he was selling. He made money two ways at the same time.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:12 PM

823 posts, read 1,055,294 times
USC School of Dentistry offers reduced rate urgent and routine dental care. Urgent care is $59-350, depending on the service. Routine (but very thorough) evaluation with xrays is $95. They tell you the cost before they do anything else beyond that You will be treated by a senior student but with very close supervision by faculty. They can refer you on to other clinics within the school if necessary (endodontics, maxillo-facial etc). It’s a longer appointment than a regular dentist, because they’re training, but the care is excellent. I have a friend who had a couple of fillings and a crown replacement done there, on the main SC campus.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:56 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You can only cut so much. Some have already cut all they can. When I was growing up we had broadcast TV and my parents never paid for cable. As long as they lived in California they never paid for cable. They moved to Arizona in 2003 after living in California since 1959 and Ventura County from 1964 until they moved. (Same house for 38 years.)

My parents also only had one car when I was a kid. My mom has never driven a car. We grew food in a garden and raised chickens. If we wanted it we made it. My dad taught us that two things you need in life are tools and an education. We always had books in the house, two walls in my dad's office were books he had collected over the years. Always had a shop full of tools in the garage. My dad still has all his tools in a beautiful shop in there home in Arizona.

Since you can only cut so much the thing is to find things to make more money. A second job or side hustle. I read about a guy that wanted to open a jewelry store. To pay the bills he became an Uber driver. Then he realized he had a captive audience. He put a book together that showed the jewelry that he was selling. He made money two ways at the same time.
Sounds like you have some great parents . I think I read of the same Uber driver , that was a really interesting story .

Old 03-22-2019, 09:01 PM

987 posts, read 778,594 times
Coffee filters can be substituted for TP

Old 03-22-2019, 09:52 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Utilize LAPL for books, magazines , videos . They have a ton of ebooks , e audiobooks and online magazines you can download to your computer , phone and other devices for free .
They also have access to free online classes like Lynda .

Find out about free programs through DWP etc . Example they have an energy saving program they’ll come and do some fixes around your house , to make it more energy efficient.
If you make under $45k they’ll replace your old fridge free etc

Thrift stores - Goodwill is actually not too cheap usually but look for the ones that are more independent, run by churches or missions etc .

As someone else mentioned housing and transportation are the biggest expenses for most people . Also think it is smart to look for ways to increase income . Being frugal can be smart .. but there is only so much you can cut while increasing income is potentially unlimited .

Find out about trends early and jumping on them before they get saturated can be lucrative.
What is something you are good at that you could create into a side business?

Old 03-23-2019, 09:04 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Reusing ziplock bags has never been an example of extreme frugality. There are certain situations where it makes sense especially when there is virtually no oily bits involved.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:51 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,373,059 times
I'm volunteering at the long beach grand prix. In return I get free admission to the race, free parking, breakfast, lunch & drinks. You can do this at just about every venue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles