U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 08:22 AM

263 posts, read 88,357 times

Advertisements

We are all aware this is a tough city to live in. How about some tips and tricks for the area to help Joe Sixpacks survive the long haul?

I remember my depression-era grandmother washing out and reusing Ziplock bags when I was younger. Nothing was wasted with her, that may be something most people alive today dont know about. Sometimes I'll just drop a piece of floss, rinse it use it as long as it doesn't tear.

I've found Offerup and Costco to be two huge helps in the area. Trader Joe's is ok for some things.

Local restaurant deals are always a plus, like Taco Tuesday or various street food vendors. Happy hours are always a plus! Sharing any particular deals around here could be greatly appreciated, please specify Eastside, Westside, South Bay, or Inland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 11:23 AM

9,564 posts, read 9,495,366 times
I think people need to be less wasteful with toilet paper. Almost nobody thinks to ever flip it over and use the reverse side of it, so you get twice as many wipes from the same piece.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:40 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,520,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I think people need to be less wasteful with toilet paper. Almost nobody thinks to ever flip it over and use the reverse side of it, so you get twice as many wipes from the same piece.
And you know this how?

Old 03-19-2019, 01:44 PM

2,145 posts, read 1,449,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Or just don't use toilet paper. What a waste!

Old 03-19-2019, 01:50 PM

4,657 posts, read 3,036,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Or just don't use toilet paper. What a waste!
Seriously. People in India just use their hands and it seems to work for most of the world. We're spoiled

Old 03-19-2019, 02:54 PM

11,789 posts, read 9,806,361 times
You can get free rent if you are homeless.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:21 AM

928 posts, read 571,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Seriously. People in India just use their hands and it seems to work for most of the world. We're spoiled
Yeah, and that’s why cholera, typhoid and hepatitis among other diseases that are transmitted via the fecal-oral route are still highly endemic in India as of 2019.

Please, don’t sicken me — literally and figuratively.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:25 AM

13,553 posts, read 9,622,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Nope. They use only their LEFT HAND. And it's considered unclean to touch a left hand. They often only use their right hands for touching food.
Gawd hep the poor lefties.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:22 AM

790 posts, read 324,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
We are all aware this is a tough city to live in. How about some tips and tricks for the area to help Joe Sixpacks survive the long haul?
I'm being very serious. Not negative.

Leave the area.

I wouldn't live there again.

Old 03-22-2019, 02:42 PM

832 posts, read 730,034 times
In terms of grocery shopping, stick to Trader Joe's, Ralphs, Vons, and Costco. Between all these stores, you should have all your bases covered. Vons and Ralphs have grocery apps where you can find a lot of great discounts. On a side note, Costco has great pricing on gas.

Minimize eating out to the extent you can, especially sit-down restaurants. Between tax and tip (and now some places that add an surcharge for worker healthcare, etc.), it really adds up. If you eat out, stick more to fast casual spots. Plus, a fair number of chains (albeit mostly fast food) have apps where they are constantly running deals and you can receive rewards benefits. And yes, there are a lot of good Taco Tuesday deals out there and a bunch of happy hours where you get great bang for your buck.

Also, buy your own alcohol. It's fun to go out and have a few drinks, but perhaps start off the night with one beer at home from a six-pack you've purchased that comes out to $1-$1.50/bottle instead of paying $6-8 for a bottle/pint so that you're just paying for two instead of three drinks at the bar as an example. Too many people fall victim to wasting so much on alcohol especially once their decision making gets impaired a few drinks in. Keep some of that money in your pocket instead of paying an often ridiculous markup to enrich someone else's pockets.

Keep coffee shop visits to a minimum. Brew your own coffee or take advantage of free coffee at work if possible. Way too many folks (young folks especially) who go to Starbucks every day getting fancy drinks.

In terms of clothes and other shopping, make the drive to an outlet if you can. I have personally bought from high-end outlet stores at a steep discount (sometimes up to 75%) for high quality items. Even places like TJMaxx and Ross may some pretty decent stuff. OfferUp is also a great option for things such as buying used furniture or household items.

Definitely re-use bags if you can. We are a wasteful society and I see folks especially who've immigrated from countries where there are far fewer resources who are much more resourceful. Use the plastic bags from the store to put some of your garbage in rather than always busting out a new compactor bag. Or like your grandmother, re-use ziploc bags for certain types of food. It definitely can save a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or