U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 12:35 PM

2,800 posts, read 3,508,695 times

Advertisements

Metro wants to build a line through sepulveda pass and it will connect to Metrolink, the valley light rail, the purple line, and expo and eventually to LAX. When THAT opens it will be a huge game changer for LA. The sepulveda line and the purple line will almost certainly be busier than any US rail lines outside NYC. Add in a crenshaw line extension to Hollywood and I'd say that we'll have a very useful system for a large number of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Voters in LA are idiots. They don't understand that spending 120 billion on massive rail is idiotic as it will be under utilized. However considering that much of this new funding will come from property tax etc they are welcome to do that as i am renter and have no plans to buy a house to support this idiot ideas of public transportation expansion.
It comes from sales tax, not property tax. Not trying to offend, but you seem so unfamiliar with all of this but it's hard to believe that you live in LA.

Old Today, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It will take Los Angeles decades to properly expand the rail system, but it will get there. As the rail system expands the bus ridership with decline even more. To be honest Los Angeles should expand heavy rail more, and in the coming decades there are plans to do so.
Yes, they will extend the purple line and build a heavy rail line through the sepulveda pass in the near future. Vermont will likely be heavy rail after I'm long gone. That's about it for current plans.

Old Today, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Heavy rail? I am not seeing people being very happy considering that heavy rail makes a lot more sound compare to light rail.
It does? How much noise do you hear from the red line?

Old Today, 12:54 PM

90 posts, read 12,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
It does? How much noise do you hear from the red line?

Red line is light rail. Amtrak is heavy rail.

Old Today, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Metro wants to build a line through sepulveda pass and it will connect to Metrolink, the valley light rail, the purple line, and expo and eventually to LAX. When THAT opens it will be a huge game changer for LA. The sepulveda line and the purple line will almost certainly be busier than any US rail lines outside NYC. Add in a crenshaw line extension to Hollywood and I'd say that we'll have a very useful system for a large number of people.

So if I live in West Hills for example and need to go Beverly Hills, how would i get to Sepulveda pass? Take bus which will take 30-45 min with all of the stops to get to sepulveda pass line? This is assuming that i do not need to take the uber or walk to bus line itself. Lastly once i get off Sepulveda pass, how would i get to Beverly Hills?

Old Today, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Red line is light rail. Amtrak is heavy rail.
No. In American terminology the blue line, expo, and the gold line are light rail. The red and purple lines are heavy rail. Amtrak is intercity/long distance rail.

Old Today, 01:12 PM

Quote:
So if I live in West Hills for example and need to go Beverly Hills, how would i get to Sepulveda pass? Take bus which will take 30-45 min with all of the stops to get to sepulveda pass line? This is assuming that i do not need to take the uber or walk to bus line itself. Lastly once i get off Sepulveda pass, how would i get to Beverly Hills?
I don't know much about that area, but I think that the orange line is close. It's a bus, but it's very frequent and fast as it's in it's own right of way. It's probably 15 minutes, but check the schedule. Then the sepulveda pass line will connect to the purple line and that goes to Beverly Hills. The trip would take around 35-40 minutes at rush hour which is much faster than a car.

But the greater point is that not all areas will be ideal for transit. People that move way to the outskirts to escape the city shouldn't expect city like transportation options.

Old Today, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I don't know much about that area, but I think that the orange line is close. It's a bus, but it's very frequent and fast as it's in it's own right of way. It's probably 15 minutes, but check the schedule. Then the sepulveda pass line will connect to the purple line and that goes to Beverly Hills. The trip would take around 35-40 minutes at rush hour which is much faster than a car.

But the greater point is that not all areas will be ideal for transit. People that move way to the outskirts to escape the city shouldn't expect city like transportation options.

I checked by doing starting point right next to orange line is Canoga Park and to Woodley and Ventura near 405 freeway. I also schedule both weekend and weekday to see how long it would take(i used metro website planner). Both times it showed me around 1 hour. Even during rush hour i can get to Final destination in about 1 1/2 hours from farther point in West Valley. My point being public transportation is not efficient and it will never be.

Old Today, 01:36 PM

For those of you in this thread that says rail ridership is not going down, might want to read this link https://la.curbed.com/2019/2/1/18204...n-trains-buses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or