U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-25-2019, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Falmouth, MA
10 posts, read 2,456 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Does the traffic mean that you mostly stay in Redondo Beach? I'm asking because I applied for a job transfer position as a full-time Grocery Team Member at Whole Foods Market in Redondo Beach, and because it's LA I'm gonna wanna live as close to wherever I work as possible. I'm gonna be moving in July. I'm also interested in LA because it's one of the three main music industry centers in the United States and there are more opportunities for my own music and for finding work with my degree since I majored in Music Business at UMass Lowell and graduated with the Class of 2014. So in general in the LA area there are more opportunities with regard to music publishing companies, recording studios, record labels, music marketing agencies, radio stations, networking events, ASCAP events, etc. Is Redondo Beach too far from where all of that is generally happening? I've lived in LA twice before but this time I'll have my own vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-25-2019, 11:22 AM
 
292 posts, read 99,889 times
Reputation: 360
Expensive rent, you'll need a roommate or two. And you'll be journeying up the 405 to Culver City, West Hollywood, Hollywood et all for your music. The LAX runways are a curtain. North is the artsy L.A. stuff and south is the blue collar South Bay aerospace and refinery workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2019, 11:44 AM
 
243 posts, read 158,095 times
Reputation: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReubenWalton View Post
Does the traffic mean that you mostly stay in Redondo Beach? I'm asking because I applied for a job transfer position as a full-time Grocery Team Member at Whole Foods Market in Redondo Beach, and because it's LA I'm gonna wanna live as close to wherever I work as possible. I'm gonna be moving in July. I'm also interested in LA because it's one of the three main music industry centers in the United States and there are more opportunities for my own music and for finding work with my degree since I majored in Music Business at UMass Lowell and graduated with the Class of 2014. So in general in the LA area there are more opportunities with regard to music publishing companies, recording studios, record labels, music marketing agencies, radio stations, networking events, ASCAP events, etc. Is Redondo Beach too far from where all of that is generally happening? I've lived in LA twice before but this time I'll have my own vehicle.
At least during the week, yes. Traffic from Redondo to downtown, WeHo will both be 1 hr+. Weekend will still be 45-1hr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2019, 06:46 PM
 
Location: Falmouth, MA
10 posts, read 2,456 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
Expensive rent, you'll need a roommate or two. And you'll be journeying up the 405 to Culver City, West Hollywood, Hollywood et all for your music. The LAX runways are a curtain. North is the artsy L.A. stuff and south is the blue collar South Bay aerospace and refinery workers.
What do you mean a curtain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2019, 03:46 AM
 
1,111 posts, read 908,238 times
Reputation: 2041
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReubenWalton View Post
What do you mean a curtain?

He means heavy traffic.

Lots of people coming and going to LAX, so it'll be slow going until you pass LAX. As if there's a heavy curtain of cars is blocking the portion of the 405 near LAX.

The 405 has also been called a wall, one that separates Santa Monica from the other side of the 405. I I live in Santa Monica, and if I head eastward on Wilshire, Santa Monica Blvd, or Sunset Blvd, traffic gets so slow, it's as if a wall is blocking my path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2019, 08:58 AM
 
292 posts, read 99,889 times
Reputation: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReubenWalton View Post
What do you mean a curtain?
It's not traffic related, it's a cultural curtain. Like they say in Orange County, "behind the Orange Curtain". There are definitive cultural differences depending where you live in SoCal. North of LAX is extremely different than south of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2019, 12:47 PM
 
Location: NY/LA
3,243 posts, read 2,730,355 times
Reputation: 2540
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
Expensive rent, you'll need a roommate or two. And you'll be journeying up the 405 to Culver City, West Hollywood, Hollywood et all for your music. The LAX runways are a curtain. North is the artsy L.A. stuff and south is the blue collar South Bay aerospace and refinery workers.
I don't think I would say the South Bay is more blue collar, especially the beach cities, El Segundo and PV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2019, 01:04 PM
 
292 posts, read 99,889 times
Reputation: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I don't think I would say the South Bay is more blue collar, especially the beach cities, El Segundo and PV.
Smellgundo and its Chevron refinery is the bluest of all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2019, 02:11 PM
 
Location: NY/LA
3,243 posts, read 2,730,355 times
Reputation: 2540
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
Smellgundo and its Chevron refinery is the bluest of all.
Median list price for a house in El Segundo is $1.1 million.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...do_CA/overview

You also didn’t address Manhattan/Hermosa/Redondo or PV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2019, 02:29 PM
 
292 posts, read 99,889 times
Reputation: 360
Quote:
Median list price for a house in El Segundo is $1.1 million.
True but wasn't always that way, the Chevron workers kinda hit the lotto nowadays. I had a coworker that would always gripe about he had to sell due to divorce in 1996, for $150k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top