U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:20 PM

104 posts, read 13,591 times

Advertisements

People are living because cost of living specifically place to rest your head is extremely expensive anywhere in la. That is just the beginning, gas is a good $1-1.50 above what it cost in other states. People that make 200k plus are pretty comfortable, anyone that makes it below 100k with family are struggling. While weather is great, in reality other states are much cheaper and people are saying screw it and moving there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
How am I able to support a wife and kid on a little over $100K here and have as good of a lifestyle as I had growing up as a kid where my father made $250k+ in 1980s Massachusetts? I must be doing something wrong? Is it because I don't care about driving luxury cars, I'm happy owning a condo vs house, eating out 2-3 meals a week that are $12/person instead of going out for regular meals that are $100+/person? Maybe it's the fact that my wife and I don't drink. That is probably at least a $300/mo saving per person compared to most of the people I know that are drinkers? My family and I feel like we are completely satisfied with our lives and all of our needs are met but we must be missing out on something?

So basically you are eating basic food, driving basic car and not doing much more. How much are you spending on that condo and how long ago did you purchase it? Many people are not willing to live with basic stuff when in other states it buys so much more.

Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,763,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
So basically you are eating basic food, driving basic car and not doing much more. How much are you spending on that condo and how long ago did you purchase it? Many people are not willing to live with basic stuff when in other states it buys so much more.
What the hell do you care so much for?

If they're happy being modest, then let them be, for Pete's friggin-sake!

Some people value where they live over what they have.

In fact, if you've ever traveled outside of the U.S. and learned about other cultures, that's the case with most people.

Go to Australia, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea, Argentina, Chile, Netherlands, Norway, Denmark, etc., they don't sit around and obsess over material possessions. Instead, they value being able to enjoy the geographical environment of those places and being socially invested in their societies a lot more. They place value on health care, education, research, the environment, etc.

California is becoming like this, whether the rest of America likes it or not.

If you don't like it, then leave and go to Arizona where you can hole up in your beige-colored stucco box and yammer on and on about "libs" and "taxes".

Bye!

Old Yesterday, 11:53 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,504,754 times
So many of these "LEAVING LA/CALIFORNIA", or "SOUTHERN CAL IS TOO EXPENSIVE" threads. So just where is everybody moving too where things are so cheap, with so many of the same things to do, and not living in a nowhere town with a good commute to work? I know someone who talks about having a 6 bedroom house in Lancaster for under 300K, and I'm like " yeah dude but.......you live in Lancaster".

Any mid-size to major city has a fairly high price tag unless your living out in the sticks or in a bad neighborhood.
So where are these magical places with cheap rent/ housing prices and you don't take a major pay-cut when moving there? I'm curious

Old Today, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
So many of these "LEAVING LA/CALIFORNIA", or "SOUTHERN CAL IS TOO EXPENSIVE" threads. So just where is everybody moving too where things are so cheap, with so many of the same things to do, and not living in a nowhere town with a good commute to work? I know someone who talks about having a 6 bedroom house in Lancaster for under 300K, and I'm like " yeah dude but.......you live in Lancaster".

Any mid-size to major city has a fairly high price tag unless your living out in the sticks or in a bad neighborhood.
So where are these magical places with cheap rent/ housing prices and you don't take a major pay-cut when moving there? I'm curious

Texas, Utah, Nebraska etc. Except for the cost prices are pretty reasonable.

Old Today, 07:04 AM

15,003 posts, read 14,416,215 times
Quote:
Or where you don't suffer from awful weather 6-8 months out of the year, or a vastly different cultural experience?

Old Today, 07:11 AM

257 posts, read 81,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
What the hell do you care so much for?

If they're happy being modest, then let them be, for Pete's friggin-sake!

Some people value where they live over what they have.

In fact, if you've ever traveled outside of the U.S. and learned about other cultures, that's the case with most people.

Go to Australia, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea, Argentina, Chile, Netherlands, Norway, Denmark, etc., they don't sit around and obsess over material possessions. Instead, they value being able to enjoy the geographical environment of those places and being socially invested in their societies a lot more. They place value on health care, education, research, the environment, etc.

California is becoming like this, whether the rest of America likes it or not.

If you don't like it, then leave and go to Arizona where you can hole up in your beige-colored stucco box and yammer on and on about "libs" and "taxes".

Bye!
This is the quintessential example of liberal tolerance! You're a joke.

Old Today, 08:13 AM

7,385 posts, read 4,761,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Or where you don't suffer from awful weather 6-8 months out of the year, or a vastly different cultural experience?
I'm a Coastal person who for career-reasons has spent most of his adult life in the small-town Midwest, except for a stint in LA in the 90s (when housing, in hindsight, was remarkably inexpensive). It has been a painful trade. Quality of life has been severely compromised - socially, culturally, emotionally. As I write this, the temperature is just about to rise wbove freezing... on the 26th of March... at a latitude that's maybe 100 miles north of San Francisco.

Every place has trade-offs. My trade-off is to eventually move back to LA. So, folks, keep moving out... that just makes the housing prices [comparatively] more reasonable for me.

Old Today, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Lancaster is not that bad. It's no different than living in Eastvale or Riverside. If you can find work in aerospace or any of the medical fields, then you don't worry about a commute. A lot of people work at NASA / Edwards AFB, at Plant 42, at the Space Port in Mojave or at the FAA building in Palmdale.

Old Today, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
This is the quintessential example of liberal tolerance! You're a joke.

Typical conservative American with your head-in-the-sand, always stuck in one gear. Always thinking you're "superior" and never bothering to take in how other people live, what they value or what ways they might do things better than we do.

"Tolerance" goes both ways, dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles