U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 01:58 PM

3 posts, read 958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooleyNoted View Post
My friend lived in a 2-bedroom apartment, with 3 cats. The lease requires a $250 deposit per cat.

She got a job in another country, and I got myself added to the lease as a roommate. She has some personal effects in her bedroom, which I keep closed and the rest of the apartment is mine for the duration. The plan is to move out and find my own place when she gets back in a couple of yaers.

She paid the $750 pet deposit when she first moved in. She took her cats with her, and the cats are no longer in the United States.

I moved in with 3 cats. One just died, so I'm actually with two cats.

Landlord came into the apartment for the semi-annual "smoke alarm checks" and saw the litterbox.

They questioned me, and I told him yes I have two cats.

He wants me to pay a $500 pet deposit. Note, they never refunded my friend's deposit, so they already have $750 pet deposit for this unit.

I told him there are only two cats living here.

His argument: "Two cats plus Three cats = Five cats"

But, I said, there are only two cats on the premises. The "three cats" he refers to aren't even in this country, let alone this aparment.

"It doesn't matter. Come up with the money, or we will remove you from the apartment"

Again, they already have a pet deposit for 3 cats (The lease defines the amount of deposit per pet as $250)

Do they have a legal right to make me pay for an extra deposit, without refunding my friend's pet deposit?

(I'm not talking about the security deposit. She paid a security deposit when she moved in, and I paid an additional security deposit when I moved in. I'm talking about the extra PET deposit, on top of what he already collected as a pet deposit for three cats that do not live here)

Thank you folks for listening.
I don't know why I laughed so hard at this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:56 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,474,217 times
The correct procedure would have been for the tenant to have the unit inspected when vacating so the apartments could appraise any damage that would be deductible from the deposit. That apparently didn't happen? When an animal dies or leaves, you can get your pet deposit back after an inspection by the management.

As you stated, they charge a $250 deposit per pet. There have now been 5 pets living there since the lease opened and the lease never closed. Most corporate apartments (not the mom and pop places) also charge pet rent in LA. It's usually $25-$50 per pet. If your place isn't charging that then be happy. It's hard to find a complex that doesn't.

I've only had one place that told me "don't worry about it since they're just cats." That was an apartment manager who really wanted me because I have a good credit score. That's pretty rare in LA. I've never had an issue getting my pet deposit returned. When I leave a place, I clean it and then do a post walk through with the manager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles