U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-29-2019, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
11,814 posts, read 9,830,408 times
Reputation: 31655

Advertisements

Newsflash: All places have positives and negatives both subjectively and objectively. Choose what place works for you and don't waste your breath telling people who live in other places their place sucks. It's mean and non-productive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2019, 09:30 AM
 
2,164 posts, read 1,457,598 times
Reputation: 2548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
So? Having a Applebeeís doesnít mean itís great dining. Itís still a horrible place to eat. The food quality is atrocious. I gave the place a few chances. No thanks.
Don't move to Los Angeles area then That's where most of them are!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2019, 09:32 AM
 
2,164 posts, read 1,457,598 times
Reputation: 2548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Newsflash: All places have positives and negatives both subjectively and objectively. Choose what place works for you and don't waste your breath telling people who live in other places their place sucks. It's mean and non-productive.
Yes, facts are ugly. We should all be afraid of them! Let big government tell you what to do!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2019, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Southern California
5,067 posts, read 7,890,614 times
Reputation: 4491
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
Let's talk about the increases in the cost of living the last few years. Has anybody noticed the electric and water rate increases? And did you see they're going up even more over the next couple years? Has anybody noticed the $50 increase in car registrations annually? Has anybody noticed how much rent has increased during this rental crisis?

What else have you noticed increasing lately?
I used to live in L.A., but not since 1988 or 1989 & back then my parents & I owned a place so it was paid for. I'm now in the neighboring San Bernardino County in an apt for the last almost 7 yrs & not only is rent always raising here too every year since there's no rent control, but more & more people are moving here for some unknown to me reason. I started a thread in my county's section about overpopulation. Grrr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2019, 11:21 AM
 
4,671 posts, read 3,047,929 times
Reputation: 6913
This entire thread makes me feel worse for society then I already felt. I give it another 20 years if our robot overlords don't exterminate us all before then once they realize that we no longer have anything to offer them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2019, 01:09 PM
 
3,084 posts, read 3,801,431 times
Reputation: 2726
Quote:
Originally Posted by rerere View Post
Let's not. Plenty of other threads for you to whine in.

Instead I'm going to talk about my 20% raise I got last week. In addition my boss also is going to give me a supplemental bonus mid year through which should bring my bonus this year up to 45% of my base salary. In addition my wife is getting offers for her to actually start practicing and people are crawling all over her. I wouldn't be surprised if she gets a 100K signing bonus.

Man it really must suck for you if you're so poor that even notice things like 50 dollar registration increases.



A few potshots from the peanut gallery:


If you got a 20% raise, that means you were previously underpaid. So congratulations on finally not working for less than you should have been making? Not sure how this is a legit brag. I'd be upset if I got a raise like that, because it'd mean that I had been allowing myself to get played for a chump previously. Plus, 20% from what? You were making 40 grand and now you make 48? Big pimpin! Also not understanding what's so "elite" about a 100K signing bonus. We hand those out in our SoCal location like candy to kids straight out of college where I work, usually along with 3-500K in stock options. And most of these people still aren't living particularly large when you think overall quality of life. The fact that these numbers get thrown around doesn't mean you're a baller, it means it's a mitigating control to attract any workers at all, because the area's cost of living is so much higher. The same quality worker gets significantly less at say, our Denver office, but their overall quality of life is likely higher.



And you DON'T notice an increase in something? Here's a lesson to you from someone who has actual wealth: just because you have it doesn't mean you don't notice when someone tries to take more of it from you. It simply means you can more easily absorb the extortion. You come off as someone who confuses having money (easy) to being smart with money (only learned through experience).


Anyways, cost of living is what it is. Nobody forces anyone to live here. We only moved to the area because we were arriving wealthy-as-a-preexisting-condition. We'd have never considered it if we didn't have that going in. Lot of other great places to live, maybe you need to find one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2019, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Studio City, CA 91604
2,461 posts, read 2,782,492 times
Reputation: 4230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Yes, facts are ugly. We should all be afraid of them! Let big government tell you what to do!!

Quit pretending you don't "love" government.

It employed you for years and now, via Medicare, it's paying for your Depends while you "slosh" around Scottsdale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2019, 01:43 PM
 
2,164 posts, read 1,457,598 times
Reputation: 2548
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Quit pretending you don't "love" government.

It employed you for years and now, via Medicare, it's paying for your Depends while you "slosh" around Scottsdale.
And Paradise Valley (where I live) . And wherever else I want. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2019, 01:45 PM
 
2,164 posts, read 1,457,598 times
Reputation: 2548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
A few potshots from the peanut gallery:


If you got a 20% raise, that means you were previously underpaid. So congratulations on finally not working for less than you should have been making? Not sure how this is a legit brag. I'd be upset if I got a raise like that, because it'd mean that I had been allowing myself to get played for a chump previously. Plus, 20% from what? You were making 40 grand and now you make 48? Big pimpin! Also not understanding what's so "elite" about a 100K signing bonus. We hand those out in our SoCal location like candy to kids straight out of college where I work, usually along with 3-500K in stock options. And most of these people still aren't living particularly large when you think overall quality of life. The fact that these numbers get thrown around doesn't mean you're a baller, it means it's a mitigating control to attract any workers at all, because the area's cost of living is so much higher. The same quality worker gets significantly less at say, our Denver office, but their overall quality of life is likely higher.



And you DON'T notice an increase in something? Here's a lesson to you from someone who has actual wealth: just because you have it doesn't mean you don't notice when someone tries to take more of it from you. It simply means you can more easily absorb the extortion. You come off as someone who confuses having money (easy) to being smart with money (only learned through experience).


Anyways, cost of living is what it is. Nobody forces anyone to live here. We only moved to the area because we were arriving wealthy-as-a-preexisting-condition. We'd have never considered it if we didn't have that going in. Lot of other great places to live, maybe you need to find one.

It must suck to realize he left all those millions on the table by not asking for a raise sooner like most pros would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2019, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
2,863 posts, read 1,538,615 times
Reputation: 3273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Yes, facts are ugly. We should all be afraid of them! Let big government tell you what to do!!

You are feeding at the "big government" trough....like a filthy pig!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top