Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 01:42 PM

427 posts, read 367,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Or, liberals who actively work to make sure your union labor and wages are secure from decimation...

You're welcome!
What union???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 01:43 PM

427 posts, read 367,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rerere View Post
I didn't call myself an elite. Ryan did, and he's right depending on how you want to qualify elite.

To be 1%er measured by income you need to be bringing in 750K a year. So no, I'm not a 1%er, more like a 3%er. But it probably will happen in my lifetime.

I did go to an elite private high school that currently costs about 30K per year. And a private top 10 elite university, and have a graduate degree from a public ivy.

So yeah, I hobnob with people that have money. Luckily we have people like Donald Trump to keep the riff raff worried about Mexicans and Muslims while keeping our taxes down. Life is great.
And you're here?

Old 03-26-2019, 03:13 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,750,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
Let's talk about the increases in the cost of living the last few years. Has anybody noticed the electric and water rate increases? And did you see they're going up even more over the next couple years? Has anybody noticed the $50 increase in car registrations annually? Has anybody noticed how much rent has increased during this rental crisis?

What else have you noticed increasing lately?
Monku, monku, monku...

Old 03-27-2019, 07:45 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,306,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
You forgot Ocasio-Cortez, another "pitchfork holder" ready to 'Storm the Bastille!'

What these cackling hens "hate" about the populists on the Left is that they speak to a multicultural audience and not just specifically to disgruntled white conservatives like themselves. That's the province of guys like Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity, when they're not busy selling snake oil on the side.
Wrong again, they speak to black and hispanic folks that feel sorry for themseleves and need excuses for not achieving as if slavery or the Mexican American war ended last week. ANd angry women who are somehow convinced they're all underpaid.

They basically treat us like pets that don't know they difference between right and wrong. I'm black, found a way to be educated and not in dire need for a bunch of freebies handouts...go figure

Old 03-27-2019, 08:25 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rerere View Post
Let's not. Plenty of other threads for you to whine in.

Instead I'm going to talk about my 20% raise I got last week. In addition my boss also is going to give me a supplemental bonus mid year through which should bring my bonus this year up to 45% of my base salary. In addition my wife is getting offers for her to actually start practicing and people are crawling all over her. I wouldn't be surprised if she gets a 100K signing bonus.

Man it really must suck for you if you're so poor that even notice things like 50 dollar registration increases.
Hmm, due to your lack of punctuation and syntax, I am hard-pressed to believe that you earn north of $100,000 annually.

Remember, people who write well do well.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:48 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
To go back to the OP, the cost of living everywhere has climbed. So to pretend its a California only problem is naive. But, its a hard place to live if you don't have valuable skills and the ability to use them (or don't have some kind of subsidized housing). I know people who do anyway, working restaurant jobs and renting rooms just because they love living here.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:24 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,734 times
Here's an article from a couple of years ago about a couple in NYC who made $500k combined and had $7300 left at the end of the year after expenses and taxes:

https://www.financialsamurai.com/scr...rs-struggling/

They have the luxury cars, vacations and other things that aren't necessary but it shows how a lot of people make things more difficult on themselves with lifestyle choices. Getting to that nearly 40% effective tax doesn't help either. I make much less and got more money in my tax refund then these people had left at the end of the year.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:43 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,141,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
To go back to the OP, the cost of living everywhere has climbed. So to pretend its a California only problem is naive. But, its a hard place to live if you don't have valuable skills and the ability to use them (or don't have some kind of subsidized housing). I know people who do anyway, working restaurant jobs and renting rooms just because they love living here.

Yes cost of living going up everywhere but California is way up there. it's really not worth staying here. There are many other places where rent for example is so much cheaper compare to California.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:13 PM

71 posts, read 60,787 times
I left a few years ago and now in the Midwest, but will soon return to California. Is this the same 'crisis' talked about years past, or have LA rents compounded more since 2016? I haven't seen the numbers recently. Rents are high versus wages, and many people hate them, but if it wasn't worth it- surely these people would find somewhere else to go, and granted many have. Looking for houses to rent in the 4.5-5.5 K range per month I'm seeing no shortage of things over 5K, so the market can quite obviously retrieve these prices. I think many in California believe other states are so cheap, but if you look at any of the 2.5 million plus metros in the Midwest or South, especially those with outstanding economies, sure you can still own a very nice house for 4K plus/month mortgage, but thats certainly not "cheap" by my measure. And while those 4K/month houses are in pockets of desirable areas throughout whatever city, it's obvious that just most of Southern California is a desirable area.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:16 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,141,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbar View Post
I left a few years ago and now in the Midwest, but will soon return to California. Is this the same 'crisis' talked about years past, or have LA rents compounded more since 2016? I haven't seen the numbers recently. Rents are high versus wages, and many people hate them, but if it wasn't worth it- surely these people would find somewhere else to go, and granted many have. Looking for houses to rent in the 4.5-5.5 K range per month I'm seeing no shortage of things over 5K, so the market can quite obviously retrieve these prices. I think many in California believe other states are so cheap, but if you look at any of the 2.5 million plus metros in the Midwest or South, especially those with outstanding economies, sure you can still own a very nice house for 4K plus/month mortgage, but thats certainly not "cheap" by my measure. And while those 4K/month houses are in pockets of desirable areas throughout whatever city, it's obvious that just most of Southern California is a desirable area.

Yes prices are high but vacancy is also high. Landlords are not lowering the price because they know once they lower it, it's really hard to bring it back up if not impossible. There are some building that have vacancy of 50%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles