Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2019, 01:51 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,304,543 times

Advertisements

I thought they already had cracked down on the illegal shops

This is nuts . Seems the penalties obviously aren’t high enough if so many are opening up illegal brick and mortar shops.

Wasn’t that the whole point of that proposition years ago to regulate and close down the illegal shops?

——
Mayor Eric Garcetti said Wednesday that Los Angeles is considering a major crackdown on illegal marijuana shops that have been bedeviling the city’s legal marketplace.

The move that could pump tens of millions of dollars into police enforcement comes as legal shops struggle to turn a profit while hundreds of illicit storefronts enjoy brisk sales, thanks to their typically cheaper, tax-free prices.

The legal shops “can’t get undercut every single day by everybody else that’s out there,” the mayor told reporters at City Hall.

With so much business going into the illicit market, many legal shops “have been laying off employees and cutting staff, trying to figure out how they can stay open and keep the lights on,” said Ruben Honig, executive director of the United Cannabis Business Association, an industry group of licensed operators.

https://ktla.com/2019/03/27/mayor-ga...al-weed-shops/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 07:08 AM

4,528 posts, read 5,328,628 times
They will be cracking down even further by having city and county utilities companies cut off service to these illegal shops. Very few additional police dollars will be used this way. Good idea.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
They will be cracking down even further by having city and county utilities companies cut off service to these illegal shops. Very few additional police dollars will be used this way. Good idea.
Yeah that is a smart idea . But then I could see them illegally running generators to keep the lights on .

What they need to do is put real fines /liens on the landlords too . You would see them vanish real quick.

The fines for breaking the rules are so small that landlords don’t seem to care .

Old 03-28-2019, 10:26 AM

8,256 posts, read 6,311,821 times
I don't understand why the police don't arrest everyone in a illegal shop and close it down. whats the problem, police to busy giving old men traffic tickets? What are the police doing/ why don't they enforce this law? What are we paying the police for if their incapable of doing anything?

Old 03-28-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I don't understand why the police don't arrest everyone in a illegal shop and close it down. whats the problem, police to busy giving old men traffic tickets? What are the police doing/ why don't they enforce this law? What are we paying the police for if their incapable of doing anything?
Well I can tell you there was one very close to my house some years ago . The Officer in charge of Narcotics busted them ... but the DA didn’t pursue it at the time . From this experience I can see the morale of police being low and they figure what’s the point if the DA and politicians have no backbone .

But there was that proposition I forget the name maybe Prop D , it was supposed to regulate the industry and shut down all the illegal shops so I didn’t even realize it was still a thing go have all these illegal shops.

If they are operating illegally makes you wonder what other illegal activities they are doing . Now I don’t know the penalties but I guess if they are brazen to operate brick and mortar storefronts illegally they must not view the fines as being high enough.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:45 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,787,654 times
Illegal shops are all in bad neighborhoods that nobody cares about. They are run by Mexican mob and police that operate in those areas are probably all on the take. We just had a Glendale detective busted for taking hundreds of thousands in bribes from Mexican mafia. Easier for most cops who work third world war zone neighborhoods to take money and look the other way then risk their lives enforcing law against organized crime that has them out gunned. Cops that work those areas live far away and don't really care about the neighborhood they police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles