Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 858 times

Advertisements

PLEASE HELP! My husband received a great opportunity to work in Santa Monica. We are considering relocating. Our only concern is for our children. 11yr old girl going into 7th grade and 8yr old son going into 3rd grade. We currently live in a very nice expensive suburb with a nice community and good schools.

What would be the best town to live in that is somewhat near SM that has a neighborhood feel and good schools? Our budget for a home would be $3M. I also want a safe community but not a super snooty one. We would like some diversity but it's not a problem if none. We currently live in an Majority white/jewish town.

We want a home with a pool and small yard for our dog. I also love neighborhoods with sidewalks so we can walk around for and exercise. Being close to a beach would be great too.

I have no clue where to begin and I am reading so many mixed opinions.

thanks!

Last edited by Boston2358; 04-03-2019 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: to get more specific answers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 09:07 AM

351 posts, read 341,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston2358 View Post
PLEASE HELP! My husband received a great opportunity to work in Santa Monica. We are considering relocating. Our only concern is for our children. 11yr old girl going into 7th grade and 8yr old son going into 3rd grade. We currently live in a very nice expensive suburb with a nice community and good schools.

What would be the best town to live in that is somewhat near SM that has a neighborhood feel and good schools? Our budget for a home would be $3M. I also want a safe community but not a super snooty one. We would like some diversity but it's not a problem if none. We currently live in an Majority white/jewish town.

We want a home with a pool and small yard for our dog. I also love neighborhoods with sidewalks so we can walk around for and exercise. Being close to a beach would be great too.

I have no clue where to begin and I am reading so many mixed opinions.

thanks!
Brentwood/Pacific Palisades.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:22 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,821,998 times
Also check out Mar Vista which is adjacent to Santa Monica. A little more low key than Brentwood (though I love Brentwood/Pacific Palisades) and get more for your dollars.
I'm not certain about the schools and like much of the Westside not known for diversity. The beaches are only a few miles away and is a nice neighborhood for walking.
Here's one example of a house with a pool - and welcome to California!
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Los-Angele...6/home/6749860
Or, if that is too much house, check this out - and no, I'm not a realtor!
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Los-Angele...6/home/6749390

Last edited by Social Democrat; 04-03-2019 at 10:38 AM..

Old 04-03-2019, 12:22 PM

908 posts, read 1,302,469 times
I second Brentwood/Pacific Palisades.

They are very nice, safe areas next to Santa Monica, so it will be a short commute for your husband, plus you're pretty much next to the beach if not only a couple miles away. Also, you have a fair number of Cape Cod / New England style homes if that's what you're looking for.

And there are plenty of trails/paths/sidewalks for exercising. People definitely take care of their bodies, whether it's walking/jogging/running or spending the extra money for Pilates and yoga or premium fitness studios such as SoulCycle. You might get some snootiness (which frankly isn't something too uncommon in affluent areas anywhere you go), but pros outweigh the cons.

Even though Brentwood/Pacific Palisades are part of the city of LA, and therefore part of LAUSD, the public schools serving that area are fine, although I'm sure affording an excellent private school wouldn't be a problem given your house budget if you want to go down that route.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:41 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,073 times
I personally would recommend sunset Park in Santa Monica first. This area is very quiet, but still in Santa Monica without the homeless problem, and many nice homes in your price range not to mention the 5 star Santa Monica Malibu school district. Then I'd recommend Venice/Marina Del Rey the vibes, and proximity to amenities can't be beat. The only problem is Venice has a ton of homeless people, but this also mitigates the snobbiness that you'd find in a place like Beverly Hills. After that I'd also check out Playa Vista brand new state of the art homes with many neighborhood amenities the real "silicon beach". Westchester and Playa Del Ray both hang over playa Vista and have the most amazing views of west LA with very little homeless as well. Personally I do love Pacific Palisades and Brentwood, but they can be kind of rural feeling as well. I always loose service going down any residential street over there probably the least walkable area of LA. The views there are spectacular though, I personally wouldn't move there unless I was buying a home for $10+ million. They also appear to be next door, but making that journey is not as simple as it seems it's a drawn out process especially when you have to take Chataqua to the PCH I'd much rather sit in traffic on Lincoln BlVD then curve down sunset. If your husband is open to a 45 minute commute I'd check out El Segundo, Manhattan Beach, or Hermosa Beach my favorite towns in the country.

Old 04-03-2019, 05:49 PM

823 posts, read 1,055,151 times
I'm with sean1the1, it can be a drag getting in and out of Brentwood/Palisades during peak hours. Not many alternative workaround routes. But Paul Revere Middle School and Pali High, while both big, are very solid schools and it's a lovely area.

But I too would first look at Santa Monica. Housing in your price range, right next to the beach, more diverse than the Palisades (although that depends partly on which part of SM), much easier physical access to the rest of LA, solid schools, very short commute - could probably walk or bike. If you stick to Sunset Park or north of Wilshire, there are many fewer issues with homelessness than the areas closer to the beach.

Because your husband would be employed in Santa Monica, your kids get priority in the SMMUSD inter-district permit system. That means you could live in adjacent areas outside the district zone (such as Mar Vista, Marina Del Rey), but still be eligible to attend Santa Monica schools under permit. Mar Vista has solid elementary schools, but the middle school is a bit more problematic.

Westchester, Playa Vista, Playa Del Rey, all good areas, but the commute to Santa Monica is at least 30 minutes during peak hours, more like 45min. Again, reasonable elementary schools but middle and high school choices a bit more complicated.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:39 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,138,890 times
You could always look at Beverly Hills. Commute will take 30-45 min depending where in Beverly Hills. Otherwise you can look in Santa Monica itself. They have good school district as well. I would avoid LAUSD

Old 04-03-2019, 10:00 PM

136 posts, read 123,565 times
Definitely Brentwood, Pacific Palisades and absolutely the North of Montana neighborhood of Santa Monica (one of the best areas in the westside), it's gorgeous with A+ schools.
Good luck!

Old 04-04-2019, 12:22 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,356 times
+ 1 for Marina Del Rey or Playa Vista.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:37 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,138,890 times
Noticed your edit and my advice is start with redfin and put in search area for Marina Del rey, Santa Monica, Playa Vista. In the morning commute is heavy on 405 going to south and east. Note that Santa Monica have a share school district with Malibu. Malibu average price is 3.5 mil so might be a little to high for you but still worth to take a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles