U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 10:28 AM

1,516 posts, read 756,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
Actually Kaz is quite correct

It was actually quite wrong in a lot of areas and the classic I wish it was still here so I could respond to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 05:43 PM

318 posts, read 122,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiWonder13 View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/31/us/ni...ing/index.html

R.I.P Nipsey Hussle. He was only 33 years old and becoming a well known entrepreneur, and business man outside of his hip hop persona. I can't believe it and came to pay my respects to the LA community for their loss.
Until his unfortunate and untimely death, I knew nothing about Nipsey Hussle. Based upon the out pouring of love for this young artist, it's clear his music and generosity had a major impact on the Hip-Hop community and in particular the African American enclave of LA. May he rest in peace.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:17 PM

1,516 posts, read 756,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
Until his unfortunate and untimely death, I knew nothing about Nipsey Hussle. Based upon the out pouring of love for this young artist, it's clear his music and generosity had a major impact on the Hip-Hop community and in particular the African American enclave of LA. May he rest in peace.

Not even just Blacks but a lot of Latinos too. Probably 35-40% of the people out there were Latinos.

Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM

2,879 posts, read 1,555,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
What's more, the idea that teaching inner city kids STEM is going to transform their lives is BS. These kids don't need to learn STEM. They're never going to be scientists.

Putting a bunch of inner city kids in a STEM program isn't going to turn them into scientists any more than getting LeBron James to coach at a Jewish school is going to turn a bunch of 5'4" Jew kids into tomorrow's NBA players.

If you really want to help inner city youth then teach them real life skills: Auto repair, plumbing, welding, money management, small business ownership. Those are the avenues that are actually going to benefit these kids and these communities. Teaching kids to learn a practical skill and make a career out of it would do wonders better for the ghetto than pretending that Ant'uan is gonna be the next Nikola Tesla.

This is all nonsense Kaz. You should stop peddling the stereotypes. Ben Carson grew up in a household that used food stamps. By your logic, he should have been placed in auto shop and had a career as a mechanic instead of a brain surgeon.

Of course, not everyone is a Ben Carson or an Elon Musk. Vocational training is important too. But your carte blanche statements about "the ghetto" are so short sighted and myopic and borderline you know what.

As one conservative writer (Arthur Brooks, AEI) said about inner-city areas: "They're not liabilities to be managed they're assets to develop because every one of us made in God's image is an asset to develop."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...sity/27173831/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or