Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 10:19 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
That is what Nipsey stood for and that was the reason why he wasn't well received by non blacks.
It doesn't seem like he was "well received" by his own community either, given who shot him.

Quote:
Nobody wants a smart business minded black male with money around.
Wow. What a slap in the face to Magic Johnson! And he does so much!

Quote:
And they definitely don't want anyone talking about Unity in the black community. All the other talk is just diversion from the true issues black youth face. System of wh*te supremacy and injustice.
There are TONS -- literally TONS -- of scholarships, financial aid, grants, etc., out there specifically targeted to black youth to get them enrolled in trade schools, vocational programs, HBCUs and even elite universities. I know because this is something I deal with in my line of work. STOP LYING!

Here's the thing: Grow up, put your big boy pants on, be respectable, stop with the surly BS, and flouting of laws, and you'll be miles and miles ahead of everyone else because THEY actually WANT black men in positions of commerce, authority and in most aspects of business.

All you have to do is act normal (decent, law-abiding) and the world is yours, literally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 11:06 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
It doesn't seem like he was "well received" by his own community either, given who shot him.

There are TONS -- literally TONS -- of scholarships, financial aid, grants, etc., out there specifically targeted to black youth to get them enrolled in trade schools, vocational programs, HBCUs and even elite universities. I know because this is something I deal with in my line of work. STOP LYING!

Here's the thing: Grow up, put your big boy pants on, be respectable, stop with the surly BS, and flouting of laws, and you'll be miles and miles ahead of everyone else because THEY actually WANT black men in positions of commerce, authority and in most aspects of business.

All you have to do is act normal (decent, law-abiding) and the world is yours, literally.
Yeah actually Magic Johnson first came to mind when I thought of South L.A , he has been investing heavily there for many many years. If someone like him was shot and killed then yeah I could see the the big outpouring and media attention etc .

There are also a bunch of people that like you said put big money towards scholarships like you said and nobody knows who they are , sometimes people even donate anonymously.

Someone online from out of state told me that Nipsey turned around dangerous neighborhoods and made them safe ! There is just a lot of ignorance out there .

Old 04-13-2019, 09:39 PM

427 posts, read 368,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Nipsey has contributed more to this world than you ever would. If you have this much of an issue with things, why do u keep coming in here with your nonsense?

...Here's that attention you desperately wanted. Weirdo.
My saving soldier lives is less than what that twatwaffle Nippsey did? Yeah oh-tay

Old 04-14-2019, 02:02 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,955 times

One idiot (who was probably assisted by authorities) doesn't represent the whole black community. If that was the case, all white people would be terrorist, considering the number of mass murders that have been committed by white me over the last five years alone. Dylan Roof, Timothy Mcvay, .... The list goes on and on.

Magic Johnson is an athlete. He made his money playing basketball on the courts. Million dollar athletes are not the only role models that should be looked up to.

Ahh. Your talking about those MINORITY benefits huhhh?? The ones that also include EVERY other minority group in the United States as well as immigrants? Even White students get full rides into HBCU's. These benefits you mention have absolutely very little benefit to foundational black americans. How about you STOP LYING. Even white women are now considered minorities. What A Joke....

RIGHHHT. Your people have done nothing but put barriers and obstacles in place to stop black progress. Blacks built their own towns and communities in the 30's, 40's, and 50's. What happened. Racists (with assistance from military) burned them down. Leaders like MLK and Malcome fought to empower blacks. What happened? They were killed (with assistance from the gov't).

See a pattern here??? The truth is in plain sight. Denying it won't make it go away. Your very EXISTENCE and HAPPINESS is predicated to the advantages you have due to an system of injustice.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah actually Magic Johnson first came to mind when I thought of South L.A , he has been investing heavily there for many many years. If someone like him was shot and killed then yeah I could see the the big outpouring and media attention etc .

There are also a bunch of people that like you said put big money towards scholarships like you said and nobody knows who they are , sometimes people even donate anonymously.

Someone online from out of state told me that Nipsey turned around dangerous neighborhoods and made them safe ! There is just a lot of ignorance out there .
Dude, your cover is blown. Should head to the political forum and try to add some value there.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:13 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Dude, your cover is blown. Should head to the political forum and try to add some value there.
My cover was blown ... ok ...

Old 04-14-2019, 09:22 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

There's a lot of ignorance I'm seeing around here too. You have to understand that when someone from those high crime neighborhoods makes it big and invests into the very same neighborhood they came from that it makes for a stronger connection to people. Literally no one has had a bad thing to say about him. He spoke unity and peace, and make money to buy property, etc. That's always dangerous when it speaks for low-income/colored communities. The only ones that have a problem are people who just looked in from the outside and made assumptions because of what he looked like and the genre of music he made.

Speaking of music, everyone connects with it and he made music that touched a lot of people. He talked a lot about what he was doing in his life in his music (investing, saving, etc.), so it wasn't like he was talking about the I'm sure perceived perception of his music from people who haven't cared to listen (not saying that's you). He talked about things a lot of people can relate to. He didn't necessarily turn around his neighborhood, but he brought a lot of hope to it.

On the other hand, Magic Johnson has definitely contributed a lot but he is less relatable with being a basketball superstar and didn't do things take pictures with every single fan who saw him at a restaurant, store, etc. Magic wasn't as relatable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I tuned into the local news tonight and was quickly greeted by "the procession" from DTLA, through South LA, Crenshaw and Inglewood. I watched, tried to have an open mind and --- it never fails. ...Here comes the violence, stampedes, trash and litter left everywhere.

Sigh.

What is it about rap groupies and piles of freaking trash?

It gets monotonous...same trashy people, same issues, same behaviors.

Reluctantly changed the channel to HLN to actually get some news.
At anything where hundreds to thousands of people show up, there will be trash. It doesn't matter what it is. I've been at rodeos, concerts/festivals across all genres, parades, etc., and it's the same thing. Only difference is the events that have workers who come around and pick up the trash. Everyone pays taxes for street sweeping.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:32 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
"The city mourns, but not everyone gets it.

It's no secret that gangs bring violence, fear and crime to communities.... But the way we stigmatize gang members can distort our view of the communities they affect and lead to bad policies, said Tyree Boyd-Pates, a curator at the California African American Museum.

"These are not monsters. These are American citizens residing south of the 10 Freeway," said Tyree Boyd-Pates, a curator at the California African American Museum.

Nipsey represented much of what we fail to see about gangs, said Boyd-Pates.

He condemned violence without condemning gang members, whom he understood to be the biggest victims of gang violence. He was a careful businessman who paid taxes and shared what he learned: In a 2008 Kev Mac interview, he can be heard breaking down both sides of a record deal. He was diplomatic and lobbied politicians and corporations to bring resources to his neighborhood.

And he always showed up. Boyd-Pates was one of the many people who remembered meeting Nipsey on their block."

The loss of Nipsey Hussle, and the neighborhood’s alternative histories:
https://www.latimes.com/local/califo...414-story.html

Old 04-14-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post

What "black progress"? Europeans were building rockets and flying to the moon while in Africa people were still living in mud huts and throwing sticks at animals. "Black Panther" is a comic book, bro. There's no such place as Wakanda. Never was. Europe has been ravaged by war, invaders, conflicts of every kind -- political, religious, economic -- and it's still light years ahead of Africa in every regard. Europeans built up the most beautiful cities and cultures in the world, had them destroyed multiple times over, and built them back up even better than before. All the while Africans are wearing loin cloths and hunting lions with spears. Thousands of years and literally NO EVOLUTION on your part. Get a grip.
Lies, Lies, Lies....

RIP Nipsey. Your purpose and legacy will live on....

Old 04-15-2019, 05:32 AM

427 posts, read 368,114 times
Quote:
Lies, Lies, Lies....

RIP Nipsey. Your purpose and legacy will live on....
Actually Kaz is quite correct
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles