U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2019, 08:17 PM

41 posts, read 18,546 times

Advertisements

not an angeleno but some of the busy streets across l.a. have names like hollywood and santa monica blvds are there nicknames for these, I've seen Wood for Hollywood does anyone call it that do they always say the full Santa Monica boulevard and Laurel Canyon boulevard? are Chateau Marmont and Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel abbreviated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 08:38 AM

7 posts, read 2,214 times
I have never heard anyone refer to Hollywood as "wood" whether it is the neighborhood or street. I have heard it referred to as "hood" though many times.

Old 04-07-2019, 11:13 AM

1,007 posts, read 1,080,291 times
Inglewood is The Wood:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wood

Old 04-08-2019, 08:53 AM

4,390 posts, read 5,183,964 times
I can only think of PCH and Fig as abbreviations. Even Los Angeles St is not abbreviated to LA Street. Wood and Vine is the name of a Restaurant. Right down the street is also Maplewood, Rosewood, and Oakwood.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:29 AM

1,358 posts, read 854,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xemj View Post
not an angeleno but some of the busy streets across l.a. have names like hollywood and santa monica blvds are there nicknames for these, I've seen Wood for Hollywood does anyone call it that do they always say the full Santa Monica boulevard and Laurel Canyon boulevard? are Chateau Marmont and Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel abbreviated
No, none of that occurs.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:24 AM

671 posts, read 945,348 times
Well, there is WeHo referring to the city of West Hollywood (not a street). I can't think another such example except for the aforementioned PCH, as far as street names, but that is it.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:02 AM

11,929 posts, read 9,936,961 times
No one calls them that.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:51 PM

41 posts, read 18,546 times
thx very clear answers, I was guessing the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel could be abbreviated the Roosevelt, maybe the Chateau Marmont just the Chateau, what I think of for roads would be interstate abbreviations like the five for Interstate 5. No one says it's on Monica, they say the whole darn Santa Monica

Old 04-16-2019, 01:22 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,415,203 times
I was watching some youtube videos and some foreigners I think Australia or the UK. Any streets with Avenue they save Ave. Yes we write it as Ave. like we do St., Blvd, Rd. But we say Avenue, not Ave. They would say. We are here on "Melrose Ave." while a local would say Melrose Avenue.

Freeways are often just called "The 5, the 405, the 101, the 10"
Some neighborhoods/cities are abbrev. like WeHo (west hollywood), SaMo (santa Monica), DTLA said as initials (Downtown LA), Pas or South Pas (Pasadena city or South Pasadena City), The LBC (Long Beach City), KTown (Koreatown),

Other things :
SC (USC) university
CalTech
JPL (Jet Prepulsion Laboratory)
LACMA said Lak-Mah. Los Angeles County Museum of Art
Staples for Staples Center
The Getty for The Getty Center
LAX for the airport (everyone knows that)
Metro for the main bus/rail system.
Runyon for Runyon Canyon hiking trail
PCH

When given street driving instructions. Most people in the LA area will know most major streets and how far it goes. If I said Wilshire and Vermont. (you know thats in Koreatown) or Sunset and Vine (thats Hollywood), 3rd and Fairfax (thats the Grove and Farmers market), Fair Oaks/Colorado is in Old Town Pas

Old Today, 09:36 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,482,111 times
The Starbucks on Hollywood and Vine used to have an "H'wood + Vine" sign in it. It was weird, no one says that.

Santa Monica, if it is called "Samo" but that is only used for the high school "SAMOHI"

I don't know any streets that have nicknames, even long ones like Topanga Canyon though if a street has Canyon in it it can be abbreviated as cyn but only in writing.

I do like how Palmdale is sometimes called Palmpton/Pompton due to the high number of people formerly from Compton.

As previously mentioned, PCH for Pacific Coast Highway and Fig for Figueroa.

Oh! People do say K-town for Koreatown! Yay I got one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or