U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 02:30 PM

2,514 posts, read 2,810,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
L.A.’s reputation in general isn’t that great. Its general urban form and structure are often criticized from the Left as much as its politics and demographic changes are criticized from the Right. Thats why all the rich super liberal IT types are up north instead and all the guys who like pickups and guns are heading to Arizona or Texas.
This is a bit of a dated observation with regard to "the Left". L.A. has gone great lengths to improve upon its transportation issues. DTLA is starting to look like and actually function as a real downtown.

As far as the "pick up and gun" clique moving to Arizona, great! I wish they all would. The sooner, the better.

Quote:
If you look at media portrayals of the area, very few are unreservedly positive, many are more negative than positive. I think both on the East Coast and outside the US its seen as crass and its sprawl is seen as dystopian almost.
I've only seen this in media depictions circa the 1990s, and earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 02:54 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,477,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
I was in Phoenix on business last week. On the way back to the airport, my co-worker who also lives in LA said, "Why the hell would anyone want to live here [Phoenix area], unless you are totally destitute I don't see why."

I'd also note my co-worker is a Republican...not at all a liberal.
I'm glad "someone" lives in Ca. I get a huge pension from you guys. Thanks, again!! It really is rough living in Paradise Valley (Scottsdale Border). Very nice place and way cheaper than the run down, traffic infested, highly taxed, highly regulated, high cost of living places you guys love. And I lived in the SF Bay Area for 35 years so I didn't just fall off the CA turnip truck.

Thanks again for my 100k plus pension. You guys are soooo generous.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
This is a bit of a dated observation with regard to "the Left". L.A. has gone great lengths to improve upon its transportation issues. DTLA is starting to look like and actually function as a real downtown.

As far as the "pick up and gun" clique moving to Arizona, great! I wish they all would. The sooner, the better.

I've only seen this in media depictions circa the 1990s, and earlier.
The same "left" that once again started another extremely expensive "waste of taxpayers money" project (high speed rail). There's many more but I'm too busy enjoying my huge tax break I can spend in poor, run down Paradise Valley/Scottsdale.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
The same "left" that once again started another extremely expensive "waste of taxpayers money" project (high speed rail). There's many more but I'm too busy enjoying my huge tax break I can spend in poor, run down Paradise Valley/Scottsdale.

One can only imagine what sort of mundane, boring, pathetic life you must lead to be trolling the forums in a place you've never lived and have no connection to.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
One can only imagine what sort of mundane, boring, pathetic life you must lead to be trolling the forums in a place you've never lived and have no connection to.
Just a little time filler while I'm trading and answering emails. You don't have to worry about me. But thanks for caring...oh, and for my huge pension!!

You might want to try "reading." I lived in the Bay Area for 35 years. Spent much time in El A and surroundings. Ok, time to work out and get ready for happy hour. About 100 places for those within half a mile of where I live...

Old 04-10-2019, 03:11 PM

1,499 posts, read 413,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Homelessness, housing crisis, traffic, highly variable quality of schools, and cost are probably the main reasons. You have to remember, these rankings are largely based on objective attributes.

LA isn't a very appealing place to live on paper.

Ironically enough though, I think the demand to live here is enormous, in spite of its problems. The big draw to LA for many people, I believe, is the overall vibe and other subjective attributes, things that aren't really captured in these rankings lists.
There is no secret to the draw to live there, it's the year round comfortable climate, the ocean and the mountains. It's weird that San Francisco ranked so high though, the col and housing prices are anything but affordable.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
There is no secret to the draw to live there, it's the year round comfortable climate, the ocean and the mountains. It's weird that San Francisco ranked so high though, the col and housing prices are anything but affordable.
It's the Marin headlands, Sonoma County (wine) and the close access to redwoods. Combine that with the tech and the abundance of universities.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Just a little time filler while I'm trading and answering emails. You don't have to worry about me. But thanks for caring...oh, and for my huge pension!!

You might want to try "reading." I lived in the Bay Area for 35 years. Spent much time in El A and surroundings. Ok, time to work out and get ready for happy hour. About 100 places for those within half a mile of where I live...
I can only imagine...

So, hurry up and do your granny squats and get to Applebees for the "early bird" specials.

I'm sure the beleaguered wait staff eagerly await your arrival!

Old 04-10-2019, 03:35 PM

469 posts, read 155,331 times
Bosch is a current show and for every shot of a gorgeous sunset theres a shot of Skid Row or a scene depicting public corruption. LA is still seen as gritty and extreme in some ways. And it is still famous for its mega network of massive freeways. New York has the subway that its famous for, LA has the 405.

I know that this forum is a battle between boosters and haters, but you gotta be realistic, fairly or not, LA doesnt seem to be held in the same regard across the country as other places including the Bay area. And I really dislike the Bay Area and would take LA over it any day.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:41 PM

31,969 posts, read 54,440,382 times
Quote:
L.A.ís reputation in general isnít that great.
Actually LAs reputation is generally great.

The Desirability component of this ranking is based on a survey taken by thousands of people across the country where they rated a city's desirability.

Here are how the largest metro areas fared:

Desirability Score/City#overall ranking
10.0 San Francisco#7
9.6 San Diego#36
9.1 Seattle#9
9.0 New York#90
8.8 Denver#2
8.7 Los Angeles#107
8.2 Phoenix#26
7.1 Washington DC#19
6.9 Dallas#21
6.9 Miami#113
6.8 Atlanta#57
6.8 Chicago#104
6.7 Boston#27
6.6 Tampa#56
6.5 Houston#30
6.5 Minneapolis#6
6.2 Philadelphia#102
6.1 Cleveland#85
6.0 Baltimore#100
5.9 St Louis#81
5.3 Detroit#93

As you can see, NY and LA soar as far as places people would actually want to live in.

NYC ties 9.0 Austin#1 and LA comes close.

LA and NYC tumble due to other QOL and COL issues but many people would still pick them anyway, as the data shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or