U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 10:01 AM

3,025 posts, read 1,698,851 times

Advertisements

I love to live in L.A: great vibe and good looking people with an improved and increasingly vibrant downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 09:05 PM

126 posts, read 83,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Yikes!

Imagine being ranked lower than these three:

Shows how garbage the rankings were if anything

Old 04-13-2019, 12:24 PM

322 posts, read 112,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozener View Post
Shows how garbage the rankings were if anything
Why is it so hard for Angelenos to accept truth?

Old 04-13-2019, 09:16 PM

8,889 posts, read 13,054,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Say what you want about LA and these ranking tables. I love living here. It's expensive, but I've always lived in expensive cities. You get what you pay for. Phoenix, Austin, Atlanta, Minneapolis, no thanks. LA is not perfect but it's a fun city and I enjoy its Mediterranean climate, cultural amenities, food, history, architecture, nightlife, the Pacific Ocean. I was in NYC last month. No thank you. Fun but I was so glad to get back home.
You do get what you pay for.

I'm from another expensive city, NYC and it's very interesting how different people are. I personally love NYC, never leaving - LA is just not my cup of tea. Had fun when I was there as well, but couldn't wait to get home. Just curious what didn't you like about NYC? It's not for everyone ... especially the rats, but you eventually learn to love them

I always laugh @ the people who say "come live here in ___, it's so cheap" ... it's cheap FOR A REASON. Any city with something desirable, is going to cost a pretty penny.

Just browsing different state forums tonight ... have family in the San Diego, so I just popped on this board.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:33 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,189,254 times
I wouldn’t put too much faith in a list that has Seattle as one of the top places to live, just saying. It has all the downsides of LA, and many more, but none of the upsides, so the list is suspect imo

Old 04-14-2019, 01:17 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
928 posts, read 870,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
Why is it so hard for Angelenos to accept truth?
Probably for the same reason it's hard for you to accept reason. *Sigh* Simplified explanation you likely still won't get anyway:

You cited a source that needs money. It gets money from people viewing its website through advertisements. A tried and tested method of getting people to look is a numbered list (I understand the irony in the link I provided, but with plenty of marketing experience I know you can lure people in with lists):

https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/list-posts-facts

It didn't take long to find, but their top ten from 2018 to 2019 varies somewhat erratically, with about half of the cities appearing on one and not the other. That's a pretty big feat to increase/decrease so much with so many metrics in play. Sure, that may move them up or down a ranking or two...but several?

It's a clickbait article you seem to take as credible and authoritative. On a separate note, in marketing they do have labels for people who are easier to lure/fool and are readily willing to buy into things without thinking first...

Old 04-14-2019, 06:52 AM

15,096 posts, read 14,533,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
You cited a source that needs money. It gets money from people viewing its website through advertisements. A tried and tested method of getting people to look is a numbered list...

It's a clickbait article you seem to take as credible and authoritative.
So true. While I can see that some people need to find confirmation for their unhappy experiences of living in a city or area, I guess I don't understand the need to put down the rest of us who are perfectly content living here.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:34 AM

11,998 posts, read 7,142,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
So true. While I can see that some people need to find confirmation for their unhappy experiences of living in a city or area, I guess I don't understand the need to put down the rest of us who are perfectly content living here.
“Misery loves company”

Old 04-14-2019, 11:39 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
928 posts, read 870,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I get he's unhappy, and for some odd reason thinks Phoenix is going to be some wonderful paradise, though based on his past statements, he's in for a rude awakening unless he follows suit with the other locals and resorts to obliviousness and ignoring the reality there, including the laughable economy, higher crime rate, and higher costs than he's willing to believe. I hated living there, but unlike him, I actually did something about the situation and left. His eagerness to believe fluff pieces that "support" his view and the outlandish thoughts of augmented reality he has in his head suggest a borderline psychopathological mindset.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:34 PM

3,096 posts, read 3,811,206 times
Trying to wrap my head around why it needs 8 pages to simply truthfully state because it's not. At least not for the majority.

We love LA. We're thrilled with our decision to come. But that's only because we could afford the cost of admission to the park. This city is 100% pay-to-play, and the cost is high. If you can afford it, the place is absolutely amazing and one of the best places to be, anywhere. We'd be positively miserable if we were just your run-of-the-mill middle class household.

We recently hosted an old friend and her family, from Atlanta, for a week. They had an amazing time - so much so that, by the end of the week, they were talking to us about relocating and asking what neighborhoods they should look at, going so far as to ask us for a realtor recommendation. We had to gently talk them out of the idea while carefully dancing around telling them the reason we were doing so was because their income would only be about 75 grand a year, meaning the 4 of them would be crammed into a garbage 2 bedroom apartment somewhere and not able to partake in a lot of the things they enjoy doing.

The reality for your average middle class family, unless they inherited land in the area, is that it's not a Top 100 place to live. Hell, it's not a top 500 place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or