Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 12:29 PM

427 posts, read 367,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Usually when people say they "won't live in LA", it's because they can't live in LA, for any number of reasons.

Hypothetically, if LA were cheap, jobs were easy to find, and housing was plentiful, 90% of the country would want to move here.
That is ridiculously false. Not everybody likes multiculturalism, not everybody likes warm weather, not everyone likes the lack of vegetation. For example Atlanta is in the middle of a forest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 12:35 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,139,985 times
LA is way too expensive, what you pay here for rent, you will be paying for mortgage in other cities. Also traffic is bad, in reality rush hour traffic is at all times during the day and on weekends. Yes weather is great but it can get really hot in the summer, especially if you live in San Fernando Valley area. I should mention that only thing that is going for San Francisco is public transportation and jobs.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:36 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
That is ridiculously false. Not everybody likes multiculturalism, not everybody likes warm weather, not everyone likes the lack of vegetation. For example Atlanta is in the middle of a forest.
Yeah, 90% of the country wouldnt move to LA in those circumstances, only about 50% would.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:41 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,852,680 times
It's all in how they define criteria. For some, job growth and affordability are important. For many in LA this isn't as important.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:12 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,018 times
Quote:
https://www.today.com/money/these-ar...s-live-t151754

I'm curious as to why Los Angeles didn't make the cut? Phoenix, Vegas and San Diego are represented but no L.A.
Serious? Why would people "want" to live in LA?? LOL.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:14 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
On the surface it doesn't seem appealing, but the weather , activities and culture are huge draws.
I know lots of people who say they wont live in LA , but they keep coming back to visit.
Big difference. I'll be back to Laguna Beach to visit and spend the tens of thousands I save each year by living in a more desirable metro/state.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:36 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,296,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Serious? Why would people "want" to live in LA?? LOL.
LA was ranked #107. The only major city that had a lower rank was Miami.

https://realestate.usnews.com/places...ia/los-angeles

Old 04-10-2019, 02:13 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,543,457 times
Quote:

Another "Bash LA" thread because your last 4 didn't get the results you wanted?

You poor, put-upon, underprivileged white, "heterosexual" Republican, Christian-evangelical male...

It must be so terribly hard on you to share a huge metro area with brown people, black people, Asians, LGBTs, liberals, moderates, Pagans, Buddhists, Muslims, Jews, Sikhs and atheists.

Run along now, to white-bread, closeted, Christian, evangelical/Mormon, Phoenix!

Old 04-10-2019, 02:23 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,227,308 times
L.A.’s reputation in general isn’t that great. Its general urban form and structure are often criticized from the Left as much as its politics and demographic changes are criticized from the Right. Thats why all the rich super liberal IT types are up north instead and all the guys who like pickups and guns are heading to Arizona or Texas.

If you look at media portrayals of the area, very few are unreservedly positive, many are more negative than positive. I think both on the East Coast and outside the US its seen as crass and its sprawl is seen as dystopian almost.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:29 PM

4,629 posts, read 3,392,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Big difference. I'll be back to Laguna Beach to visit and spend the tens of thousands I save each year by living in a more desirable metro/state.
I was in Phoenix on business last week. On the way back to the airport, my co-worker who also lives in LA said, "Why the hell would anyone want to live here [Phoenix area], unless you are totally destitute I don't see why."

I'd also note my co-worker is a Republican...not at all a liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles