Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 03:50 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Bosch is a current show and for every shot of a gorgeous sunset theres a shot of Skid Row or a scene depicting public corruption. LA is still seen as gritty and extreme in some ways. And it is still famous for its mega network of massive freeways. New York has the subway that its famous for, LA has the 405.

I know that this forum is a battle between boosters and haters, but you gotta be realistic, fairly or not, LA doesnt seem to be held in the same regard across the country as other places including the Bay area. And I really dislike the Bay Area and would take LA over it any day.
The Bay Area does, admittedly, have its charms. It's the geography -- the SF and San Pablo Bays themselves, the delta, the redwoods, Bodega Bay, the Marin headlands, the marshes and creeks, the meadows, the vineyards. It's also the highly educated populace, the abundance of universities, the social activism, the diversity. When people think of SF, they hear the clang of trolley cars and see the Golden Gate off in the distance. SF has the feel of an Old World European city. It's a prettier, more New Agey version of Boston on the West Coast.

Los Angeles has more striking geography: the tall snow-covered peaks, the rolling hills of oak trees, the warmer ocean water, the prettier beaches. We have an equal number of well-performing universities. But when people think of L.A., it doesn't elicit the charm that thoughts of SF do. People still have this grimly nostalgic 1970s-1980s vision of a dystopia full of smog, long commutes, serial killers, riots and gangster rap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 03:54 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,950,508 times
Because LA is so far ahead of the pack that it wouldn’t be fair to the other cities to mention us.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:19 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,073 times
Quote:
L.A.’s reputation in general isn’t that great. Its general urban form and structure are often criticized from the Left as much as its politics and demographic changes are criticized from the Right. Thats why all the rich super liberal IT types are up north instead and all the guys who like pickups and guns are heading to Arizona or Texas.

If you look at media portrayals of the area, very few are unreservedly positive, many are more negative than positive. I think both on the East Coast and outside the US its seen as crass and its sprawl is seen as dystopian almost.
This explains being the second largest city in the country by far and still growing. Say what you want, but the numbers don't reflect. If anything L.A. would be seen as Hollywood before anything else.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:10 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,300,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I can only imagine...

So, hurry up and do your granny squats and get to Applebees for the "early bird" specials.

I'm sure the beleaguered wait staff eagerly await your arrival!
You keep forgetting that there's multiple times more Applebees in the LA metro per capita than there are in the Phoenix Metro. Nice try though. I guess you forgot our last discussion about this. Did you need the FACTS again????

You can't fool me. I've been do the LA metro a billion times. I lived in Ca for 35 years. I doubt you've even spent any time at all in the Scottsdale area. It's a million times nicer than LA.

Again, thanks for my huge pension. You folks are so nice.

Was here tonight. About a mile form me. Make most LA restaurants look like a poor boy's taco bell. Actually, ate at one near LAX last Nov when flying to Asia...cuz there ain't crap near the airport there....you do gots lotsa Applebees though...you'd actually do well to even have one of those near LAX....

https://kasaiscottsdale.com

Old 04-11-2019, 03:45 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
Say what you want about LA and these ranking tables. I love living here. It's expensive, but I've always lived in expensive cities. You get what you pay for. Phoenix, Austin, Atlanta, Minneapolis, no thanks. LA is not perfect but it's a fun city and I enjoy its Mediterranean climate, cultural amenities, food, history, architecture, nightlife, the Pacific Ocean. I was in NYC last month. No thank you. Fun but I was so glad to get back home.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:03 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,214,417 times
Yikes!

Imagine being ranked lower than these three:

Quote:
6.0 Baltimore#100
5.9 St Louis#81
5.3 Detroit#93

Old 04-11-2019, 05:51 AM

26,712 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Is San Diego that much more affordable than L.A.?
According to Zillow, the median price of a home in Los Angeles County is $624 K; in San Diego County, it's $573 K.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:54 AM

26,712 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Another "Bash LA" thread...
It does appear that the same couple of people really, really, really like to bash Los Angeles (or California in general). Kind of a strange pastime.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:19 AM

6,784 posts, read 4,221,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
This explains being the second largest city in the country by far and still growing. Say what you want, but the numbers don't reflect. If anything L.A. would be seen as Hollywood before anything else.
LA’s non-Latino white and black population has decreased by almost a million since 1990. That trend has been continuous. That’s relevant to this discussion in that much of the growth has come from people who aren’t comparing the city to Boston, San Francisco, Denver or Nashville but villages in Sinaloa, El Salvador or Hunan.

In reality, the natural advantages of living in Los Angeles are magnificent with breathtaking landscapes, the best climate in the world and countless entertainment options and amenities. There must be some truly remarkable failures in other areas to explain the now 30 year old trend of white and black Americans leaving in significant numbers.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:19 AM

427 posts, read 367,619 times
Quote:
LA’s non-Latino white and black population has decreased by almost a million since 1990. That trend has been continuous. That’s relevant to this discussion in that much of the growth has come from people who aren’t comparing the city to Boston, San Francisco, Denver or Nashville but villages in Sinaloa, El Salvador or Hunan.

In reality, the natural advantages of living in Los Angeles are magnificent with breathtaking landscapes, the best climate in the world and countless entertainment options and amenities. There must be some truly remarkable failures in other areas to explain the now 30 year old trend of white and black Americans leaving in significant numbers.
People born and raised in non-coastal cities have a certain standard of living they are used to. Simple homeownership and lack of major traffic issues are something they discover are a big deal in L.A., and they end up leaving L.A. for greener pastures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles