U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 10:55 AM

908 posts, read 674,910 times

Advertisements

We moved from Boston to LA, and never looked back. Totally possible. Just don't visit your family. Have them "vacation" out here to visit you. Also, Boston is a better place to visit than it is to live in, so there's that.

Of course, we had lived in LA before. Then some other places, then Boston for a couple of years. Boston is pretty, the city is kinda cool, but the people suck. Californians are much better. Even as wrapped up in their own BS as they are, at least they're happy. East Coasters have this enormous chip on their shoulder about every little thing. Coming back to LA was a breath of fresh air.

Also, the roads are better.

Also also, the Boston nightlife sucks. You have to go to NYC for anything decent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 03:51 PM

84 posts, read 69,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Rather than use your entire post, I'm just quoting the last sentence.

"No, Id plan on living in a ****hole in Santa Monica to enjoy the beach, all the restaurants and shops and beautiful women walking around, the spontaneous conversations I can strike up, and the general oleasant ess and vibes"

Obviously you aren't going to find this out, until you live here, but the west side is extremely "plastic", and I am not referring to material.

The people are so phony, and crazed with material things.
They all have this "image" is what it is all about thing.
You want to experience the real Los Angeles, you need to get away from that stereotypical west side wannabe syndrome.
Spend some time in the sfv, of sgv , or for that matter, any other place in the city, except the west side, to get the reality of this city.

Once again, I would strongly suggest you read the thread "Reality check for Los Angeles", especially the information regarding the beaches.
Now THERE is a reality check if there ever was one.

Oh, and one more thing I should add.
It appears by your post, you have spent a lot of time looking at re-runs of "Bay watch".
Trust me, Los Angeles is nothing like that.

Bob.
I lived in the San Gabriel Valley. Nice place, but not that awesome for a single person who likes the energy and go-getter mentality in LA.

I find people in Santa Monica to be not very plasticy. Beverly Hills, sure. SM? Not too much. I agree inland people are less obsessed with image and success, but it has it's good aspects too, lots of people take good care of themselves, lots of people accomplish great things.

Yes the beaches in LA itself aren't great, but Malibu, OC, they're closeby and have awesome beaches.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Ok as long as you realize that LA isn't a utopia like Hollywood and so many people speak of, you'll be fine probably.

One thing about Angelenos in terms of nightlife is that I've found people generally less approachable in LA. I think it's the aspect of the personal space difference in LA v. the Northeast. In Boston/NYC/Philly/DC etc. we live more on top of each other, we have personal contact/interaction on public transit, bars are smaller so we don't mind sharing tables and striking up conversations with strangers, etc. I found it less likely for someone to be okay with making a random buddy for the night in LA. In NYC, I make friends out of random comments said to each other regularly while out for a night. It was less common in LA, I think, because of the general unwillingness to be as interactive with other people. Angelenos like their private homes and private cars and wide open spaces and not seeing people everywhere you look like in NYC/Boston. That's just my experience though.

A $1m home in Santa Monica isn't going to be much different from one in the equivalent areas of Boston either like Back Bay. If we're talking cheaper, yeah Boston is probably worse off just because the age of the buildings. But at that price range, all things equal, it's about the same IMO. I absolutely hate the housing stock of places like Torrance and Hawthorne. I mean...this dump is $900k...in Hawthorne. Obviously it's to each their own, but don't expect that coming into LA, your $1m will buy you some luxury home.

I'm not saying LA is a terrible place to live. It's not. You seem to at least know somewhat about what you're talking about (nobody ever name drops Hawthorne or Torrance if they know nothing about LA housing). But the idea of moving to LA and working in entertainment and making new friends at every bar you go to and buying a luxury home for $1m is not reality. If you're moving just because you love LA culture, you understand the stress of the daily commutes in LA, you don't plan on being on the beach literally every day, and you know the entertainment industry is extremely cut throat, you'll be okay. It's just so funny to me being from LA living in the Northeast now and hearing people's extremely wrong perceptions of what life is like in LA.
Well Hollywood itself is pretty much a dump, in my experience, and all I ever thought LA was is a complete sh*thole, because that's all anyone ever told me it was... then I went out there and was like "holy hell this place is niiiice... also lots of ghetto and weird and wtf... but toooons of amazingly nice neighborhoods and hiking and beaches and beautiful, cool people.

Yeah that place in Hawthorne is hideous. But LA being so big, there's probably more B+ to A+ housing in LA than there is total housing in Boston.

Def not floating the idea of working in entertainment. If I had $50M to blow, would I do some pet projects? Yup. Grind up the hollywood exec ladder? NO THANKS!

I actually think every single person east arizona that mentions LA says it's a terrible, fake, sprawling wasteland of highways and wannabe's covered in smog, to tell you the truth. Nobody here ever ever thinks about moving to LA.

Old 04-12-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
We moved from Boston to LA, and never looked back. Totally possible. Just don't visit your family. Have them "vacation" out here to visit you. Also, Boston is a better place to visit than it is to live in, so there's that.

Of course, we had lived in LA before. Then some other places, then Boston for a couple of years. Boston is pretty, the city is kinda cool, but the people suck. Californians are much better. Even as wrapped up in their own BS as they are, at least they're happy. East Coasters have this enormous chip on their shoulder about every little thing. Coming back to LA was a breath of fresh air.

Also, the roads are better.

Also also, the Boston nightlife sucks. You have to go to NYC for anything decent.
Where in LA do you live, and where in Boston did you live?

Agreed on Boston nightlife. It's pathetic. Especially because probably 2 of the 3 best nightlife cities in north america are within driving distance... Montreal and NYC. Both are places I could start out alone at a bar at 8pm, meet 3 gorgeous girls, go out with them to a club, end up a stripclub and go home with one of them, and it be nowhere near the craziest night they've had. If that happened in Boston it would shatter people's brains... also I have been to a stripclub in Boston... omg, I felt like I was in amish country and some of the fellas had set up a little makeshift operation to get their rocks off... it was sooo embarrassing. Laughed my ass off for 5 minutes and left.

Yes, people here aren't happy. No sense of enjoyment. I can't tell you how many ppl I know who have $10-$50M in the bank, and drive a ford taurus, wear ratty old clothes, eat cheap food, and just not do a single cool thing with their money... like okayy guys, either give it away, or have some fun with it! Nope... the wealthier you are here, the more you have to look like you are miserable and destitute. It's like the anti west coast... there's no wisdom in starving one's self of joy, but for some reason all these wealthy people think the less joy you have the more noble you are. So sick of people talking down on "new money" just because someone actually enjoys their money, bought themselves a fast car, and went on vacation to miami, not stone henge or the pyramids.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:03 PM

6,636 posts, read 13,876,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgecostanza1472 View Post
Where in LA do you live, and where in Boston did you live?

Agreed on Boston nightlife. It's pathetic. Especially because probably 2 of the 3 best nightlife cities in north america are within driving distance... Montreal and NYC. Both are places I could start out alone at a bar at 8pm, meet 3 gorgeous girls, go out with them to a club, end up a stripclub and go home with one of them, and it be nowhere near the craziest night they've had. If that happened in Boston it would shatter people's brains... also I have been to a stripclub in Boston... omg, I felt like I was in amish country and some of the fellas had set up a little makeshift operation to get their rocks off... it was sooo embarrassing. Laughed my ass off for 5 minutes and left.

Yes, people here aren't happy. No sense of enjoyment. I can't tell you how many ppl I know who have $10-$50M in the bank, and drive a ford taurus, wear ratty old clothes, eat cheap food, and just not do a single cool thing with their money... like okayy guys, either give it away, or have some fun with it! Nope... the wealthier you are here, the more you have to look like you are miserable and destitute. It's like the anti west coast... there's no wisdom in starving one's self of joy, but for some reason all these wealthy people think the less joy you have the more noble you are. So sick of people talking down on "new money" just because someone actually enjoys their money, bought themselves a fast car, and went on vacation to miami, not stone henge or the pyramids.
The meeting three gorgeous girls, going to a club, then stripclub, and bringing one home part? You sound really immature honestly. If you're over 22, you have to reevaluate your goals in life. And you'll probably be in for a rude awakening if you think something like that is a story every guy in LA has. Unless you lie about your job and say you're in Hollywood or you're a 6'1" chiseled model, that's not happening anywhere you go. The quality of a city's strip clubs is not something you base your choices on.

I'm still on the same page of Boston nightlife being subpar, but to act like your imagined scenario is going to happen in LA...that's not likely.

One reason Angelenos are able to spend spend spend and drive fancy cars and all is because daddy is a lawyer/doctor/finance guy back in a low cost southern/Midwestern city and can finance his kids' lifestyles in LA. I promise you most of those people you see in their new BMW or Benz are leasing it and put all their money into that, while they live in a rundown dingbat apartment because a car is a plasticky status symbol in LA. There's no reason to shame someone for holding onto their money. I'm sure you're exaggerating your description of a rich person in Boston, but some people hold onto their wealth in order to pass it down to future generations and ensure their financial well-being. Boston has a lot of generations living in the region and families that support each other. LA has a lot of young people that move to just live in LA, while their families back in Boston need all that money to support their child's lifestyle. I knew a lot of people in LA that moved there and were bankrolled by their parents. When that tap went dry, it was back to Michigan they went. Or, the more mature ones saved up enough for living expenses for one year. If they weren't comfortable living in one year, many went back home. Or they end up as crackw****s on Hollywood Blvd. TBH, as a native, I stopped making friends from out of town because so many of them moved home after a short period of time and I was tired of losing friends. I did and do still have a solid group of friends in LA who were all born and raised there, or have moved down from SF where I went to college (they thrive because it's not too dissimilar).

Clearly millions of people are able to have a happy life in LA. But it's not this utopia where everything becomes perfect all of a sudden. It is a real place where (some) real people live. It has plenty of flaws that many people don't realize. You may know some of LA so you're not entirely ignorant as to what it's like, but your immaturity and false realities of "bangin chicks from the club" will not suit you well. Tone that down. Like a lot. Like 100% tone that down. It's creepy and gross.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
The meeting three gorgeous girls, going to a club, then stripclub, and bringing one home part? You sound really immature honestly. If you're over 22, you have to reevaluate your goals in life. And you'll probably be in for a rude awakening if you think something like that is a story every guy in LA has. Unless you lie about your job and say you're in Hollywood or you're a 6'1" chiseled model, that's not happening anywhere you go. The quality of a city's strip clubs is not something you base your choices on.

I'm still on the same page of Boston nightlife being subpar, but to act like your imagined scenario is going to happen in LA...that's not likely.

One reason Angelenos are able to spend spend spend and drive fancy cars and all is because daddy is a lawyer/doctor/finance guy back in a low cost southern/Midwestern city and can finance his kids' lifestyles in LA. I promise you most of those people you see in their new BMW or Benz are leasing it and put all their money into that, while they live in a rundown dingbat apartment because a car is a plasticky status symbol in LA. There's no reason to shame someone for holding onto their money. I'm sure you're exaggerating your description of a rich person in Boston, but some people hold onto their wealth in order to pass it down to future generations and ensure their financial well-being. Boston has a lot of generations living in the region and families that support each other. LA has a lot of young people that move to just live in LA, while their families back in Boston need all that money to support their child's lifestyle. I knew a lot of people in LA that moved there and were bankrolled by their parents. When that tap went dry, it was back to Michigan they went. Or, the more mature ones saved up enough for living expenses for one year. If they weren't comfortable living in one year, many went back home. Or they end up as crackw****s on Hollywood Blvd. TBH, as a native, I stopped making friends from out of town because so many of them moved home after a short period of time and I was tired of losing friends. I did and do still have a solid group of friends in LA who were all born and raised there, or have moved down from SF where I went to college (they thrive because it's not too dissimilar).

Clearly millions of people are able to have a happy life in LA. But it's not this utopia where everything becomes perfect all of a sudden. It is a real place where (some) real people live. It has plenty of flaws that many people don't realize. You may know some of LA so you're not entirely ignorant as to what it's like, but your immaturity and false realities of "bangin chicks from the club" will not suit you well. Tone that down. Like a lot. Like 100% tone that down. It's creepy and gross.

Well it has happened to me, and because I enjoyed a night that involved a stripclub I need to "re-evaluate" my goals in life? BAHAHA. This was the most absurd over-step I've heard in a long time. I can guarantee you that at LEAST 80% of the great male entrepreneurs or famous single men under the age of 40 have been to a stripclub in the last 3 years. No, wait, I went with a group of girls to a stripclub, oh my, need to evaluate my life. Volunteer work every 2 weeks isn't enough... serving as a director for a great charter school, needs re-evaluation as well, awesome health-focused start-up company, gotta immediately walk away from it... because I went to a stripclub!

Well I am 6'1 and chiseled, feel some type of way about it? Your problem. Yeah, I totally just said "LA or Boston, better stripclubs? Let me know so I can move or stay."

Again, not imagined, happened. And it's happened a handful of times in LA, sorry that some people's lives happen that way.

That is an absurd mis-characterization of everyone I've known in LA who has a nice car. I'd say 95% of them pay all their own bills, and the ones who don't are mostly from LA or OC originally.

Your experiences with these types of people is clearly incredibly narrow. I've obviously met dozens of times more people in this stratosphere than you have.

Not false realities, yeah, going home with a girl from a club is really creepy and gross. That's why they want to do it. Because it's so creepy and gross. Can't handle a little adult talk? Wow, as I've said before, the level of snowflakes out in LA sure is something else! You're another proof of that! By far everyone's biggest gripe when they move out there... not lack of Hollywood starlet life, that for some reason you are under the impression that people imagine LA to be... not the lack of leaving bars and clubs with a woman on your arm, which happens more often than not, you clearly just don't experience that... but the snowflakes who can't handle other people's successes and other people's viewpoints and go all ad hominem and rage out cuz they need their little safe space. PFFF. You're a meme.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:41 PM

359 posts, read 70,312 times
Quote:
Well it has happened to me, and because I enjoyed a night that involved a stripclub I need to "re-evaluate" my goals in life? BAHAHA. This was the most absurd over-step I've heard in a long time. I can guarantee you that at LEAST 80% of the great male entrepreneurs or famous single men under the age of 40 have been to a stripclub in the last 3 years. No, wait, I went with a group of girls to a stripclub, oh my, need to evaluate my life. Volunteer work every 2 weeks isn't enough... serving as a director for a great charter school, needs re-evaluation as well, awesome health-focused start-up company, gotta immediately walk away from it... because I went to a stripclub!

Well I am 6'1 and chiseled, feel some type of way about it? Your problem. Yeah, I totally just said "LA or Boston, better stripclubs? Let me know so I can move or stay."

Again, not imagined, happened. And it's happened a handful of times in LA, sorry that some people's lives happen that way.

That is an absurd mis-characterization of everyone I've known in LA who has a nice car. I'd say 95% of them pay all their own bills, and the ones who don't are mostly from LA or OC originally.

Your experiences with these types of people is clearly incredibly narrow. I've obviously met dozens of times more people in this stratosphere than you have.

Not false realities, yeah, going home with a girl from a club is really creepy and gross. That's why they want to do it. Because it's so creepy and gross. Can't handle a little adult talk? Wow, as I've said before, the level of snowflakes out in LA sure is something else! You're another proof of that! By far everyone's biggest gripe when they move out there... not lack of Hollywood starlet life, that for some reason you are under the impression that people imagine LA to be... not the lack of leaving bars and clubs with a woman on your arm, which happens more often than not, you clearly just don't experience that... but the snowflakes who can't handle other people's successes and other people's viewpoints and go all ad hominem and rage out cuz they need their little safe space. PFFF. You're a meme.
cool story, bro(?)

Walking around Davis Square more like it.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:50 PM

Location: San Francisco/East Bay and Los Angeles, formerly DC and Boston
2,103 posts, read 3,379,131 times
Grew up near Boston. Was greeted by this beautiful bit of nature in Davis Square when I visited last month. Don't know about you, but I'll take a "sweatshirt" weather beach day in Malibu over this.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone move to LA from Boston? Think it's possible to ever move back?-img_2232.jpg  

Old 04-12-2019, 10:04 PM

6,636 posts, read 13,876,527 times
Quote:

You're literally on here saying you can't wait to move to LA so you can meet groups of attractive women, go to strip clubs with them, and take one home. I completely understand that's not your only goal, but the fact that even plays a role in your decision is immature and gross, yeah. I've been to strip clubs. They can be a good time. But I wouldn't rate a city based on its quality of strip clubs.

You're trying to tell me my experience is narrow, yet I literally lived there the first 23 years of my life. Do you have 23 years of experience in the city of LA?

As for being a snowflake, literally one of my least favorite things about LA is the fake plasticky people who can't handle criticism and constantly are offended by everything. It's why I actually love the Northeast and live in NYC. New Yorkers and Philadelphians are my favorite people in the country for the dgaf attitude. I just find it creepy and gross when dudes come on this forum asking where they should move to find attractive girls. Makes you sound like an internet creep or a socially awkward nerd.

If you're moving for year round weather because you hate the snow and just find the people of LA more your speed, more power to you. But your reasons seem off.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Grew up near Boston. Was greeted by this beautiful bit of nature in Davis Square when I visited last month. Don't know about you, but I'll take a "sweatshirt" weather beach day in Malibu over this.
Ummm yaaaahh. That's the most hideous sight. And although I love how green it is in summer... and it's not very green in LA, the amount of green you see living a whole calendar year in LA vs Boston is probably far far more... because what green there is you get is 12 months of the year, vs. 5. Plus pasadena, weho, BH, SM, palisades, brentwood, los feliz... quite green places. Certainly not lacking for trees and grass.

Where do you live in LA? How many years has it been?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or