U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 10:49 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
935 posts, read 877,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Your aware you'll be living under Communism?

Perhaps you should buck the trend before making inane statements, and actually pick up a book or two and read what communism is though it may pain you to realize that LA is far, far from communist (though capitalist excess certainly has its claws firmly in LA, and most any major city in America). Grundrisse and The Communist Manifesto are good places to start. Of course as much as it would pain you, it would be wise to also read about the poor economic and social conditions of mid-19th century Europe from which communism developed (in the hopes that you may actually learn that such conditions can lead to such movements).

***Spoiler alert: you may learn that communism in the USSR and China wasn't exercised as intended, and also that you bought into lingering, entrenched American propaganda to spend, spend, spend because communism (the Soviet Union) is evil.

Also, the first word in your sentence should be "You're" and you don't need to capitalize communism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 10:55 PM

84 posts, read 70,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maduro lonsdale View Post
cool story, bro(?)

Walking around Davis Square more like it.
Uhhh, why would I ever hang out there? Clearly cool enough for you to have read all the way through... get your inferiority complex under control. People have fun, deal with it.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:09 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,496,614 times
The original post on this thread reminds me of a USA Today article I read this morning about the rise of white male suicides in the mountain west. A lot of people come out here with a lot of expectations of how it is going to change their lives. Some do find what they dream, but most are met with disappointment that, for some, can be insurmountable. Interesting read! I think people sometimes move out here thinking it is going to be a lifetime of vacation.

For most, the pay out here won't allow you to have a place close to that great weather or beaches. If you do get a place near it then it will mean compromising some living comforts like AC or a dishwasher or space. You need a really well-paying job to enjoy LA. Actually, a lot of the people here that I meet who are living the sweet life don't work at all, they have families back in their home state or country who can write endless checks. They don't care how much the rent costs, they don't need to.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:51 AM

6,398 posts, read 9,856,211 times
Plenty of people have moved back to Boston and the Northeast because they missed the four season weather, their families, and the culture. The Northeast is unlike anywhere else in the country and places a high value on history, tradition, finance, & education. It's easy to write these things off when they aren't your primary values. And they don't have to be. But what you shouldn't do is place your own views on others as if your perception is the only one that's correct. Just because you value a sunny climate and "banging hot chicks", doesn't mean another person's decision to live in a cold climate and be around family is less than yours. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:41 AM

5,369 posts, read 7,369,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Plenty of people have moved back to Boston and the Northeast because they missed the four season weather, their families, and the culture. The Northeast is unlike anywhere else in the country and places a high value on history, tradition, finance, & education. It's easy to write these things off when they aren't your primary values. And they don't have to be. But what you shouldn't do is place your own views on others as if your perception is the only one that's correct. Just because you value a sunny climate and "banging hot chicks", doesn't mean another person's decision to live in a cold climate and be around family is less than yours. Different strokes for different folks.
I think the only "chick" the op is banging, is Merry Palm.

Bob.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:44 AM

6,672 posts, read 13,898,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
The original post on this thread reminds me of a USA Today article I read this morning about the rise of white male suicides in the mountain west. A lot of people come out here with a lot of expectations of how it is going to change their lives. Some do find what they dream, but most are met with disappointment that, for some, can be insurmountable. Interesting read! I think people sometimes move out here thinking it is going to be a lifetime of vacation.

For most, the pay out here won't allow you to have a place close to that great weather or beaches. If you do get a place near it then it will mean compromising some living comforts like AC or a dishwasher or space. You need a really well-paying job to enjoy LA. Actually, a lot of the people here that I meet who are living the sweet life don't work at all, they have families back in their home state or country who can write endless checks. They don't care how much the rent costs, they don't need to.
You're wrong. You live in LA. So did I. Lived in SF for college going back and forth to LA through college, Louisville, Philadelphia, Spain and Italy. Now NYC. Because OP wants to say idk anything about the world having grown up in LA for 23 years. But OP knows more than me. And you. Even though he's never lived in LA.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:51 AM

6,038 posts, read 4,351,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post

Bob.
Merry has five sisters.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:58 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,573,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
In growing up in LA, I think the only places left with the real LA culture are pockets of the South Bay, parts of the SFV, and parts of the SGV. The rest is plasticky transplants who purposely try to mold themselves into the stereotype of LA they read and hear about. There are good people out there for sure. But they're harder and harder to come by as more and more transplants dominate the "cool" areas. The people I grew up with are nothing like the people moving there. A lot of the people who are far from the stereotype like myself have left and that vacuum we've left behind is just filled with more plasticky transplants.

Also that ****hole apartment in Santa Monica is going to cost way more than anyone thinks it will.
Mildly interesting thread.

I can see what your are saying about "real LA culture" being in parts of SFV/southbay/SGV. But you cant discount that even west side Is real LA. Just different. There has always been transplants on westside. It is LA.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post

Bob.
Cool dude, hilarious quip.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Mildly interesting thread.

I can see what your are saying about "real LA culture" being in parts of SFV/southbay/SGV. But you cant discount that even west side Is real LA. Just different. There has always been transplants on westside. It is LA.
No man, people on the westside are wealthy, wealthy people don't get to be called "real." Get em out of our country. Less hot chicks, less wealthy guys. Make me feel better about myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or